Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse

gman430

The city of Greenville has announced plans to acquire a site for a new federal courthouse in downtown. The 204,000-square-foot building will be located at the intersection of East North, North Irvine, East Coffee and North Spring streets where the large parking lot next to the Palmetto Bank headquarters currently sits. The General Services Administration will begin work on the design phase of the building later this fall. Construction is slated to begin in 2013: http://www.wyff4.com/news/22930394/detail.html

This is the site across the street from the "County" courthouse, right? I would think that with the smaller size of this spot, some decent height would be required. This will definitely fill a nice hole in downtown's grid.

Edited by gsupstate

This is the site across the street from the "County" courthouse, right? I would think that with the smaller size of this spot, some decent height would be required. This will definitely fill a nice hole in downtown's grid.

Yes it is. The building is proposed to be 9-10 stories tall and cost $60 million to build according to the city manager.

Edited by citylife

The city of Greenville has announced plans to acquire a site for a new federal courthouse in downtown. The 204,000-square-foot building will be located at the intersection of East North, North Irvine, East Coffee and North Spring streets where the large parking lot next to the Palmetto Bank headquarters currently sits. The General Services Administration will begin work on the design phase of the building later this fall. Construction is slated to begin in 2013: http://www.wyff4.com/news/22930394/detail.html

This is outstanding! Just a year ago it seemed fairly certain that the new federal courthouse would be a 4-5 story building on a huge piece of land along Academy Street. Now, due to smart and determined city leaders, we will have a nice 9-10 story highrise in the heart of downtown where a surface parking lot currently sits. Perfect! :thumbsup:

Great job, City of Greenville! :tough:

• 2 weeks later...

This is outstanding! Just a year ago it seemed fairly certain that the new federal courthouse would be a 4-5 story building on a huge piece of land along Academy Street. Now, due to smart and determined city leaders, we will have a nice 9-10 story highrise in the heart of downtown where a surface parking lot currently sits. Perfect! thumbsup.gif

Great job, City of Greenville! tough.gif

Channel 4 reported that it would be 12 stories.

Channel 4 reported that it would be 12 stories.

Hmmm...interesting. I for one hope they're right. Not sure who their source is though. The architecture firm for the project has been chosen. The building will be designed by Hammond Beeby Rupert Ainge. Neal-Prince & Partners might also be included in the design process.

• 4 months later...

While I was on the top deck of the Bookends parking garage this afternoon, I snapped this shot of the Greenville County Courthouse and 13th Circuit Solicitor's Office, flanked on the right by the recently constructed Palmetto Bank building. In that big parking lot to the left of Palmetto Bank, just beyond Coffee Street, imagine a new high-rise of 9 to 10 stories (or maybe 12 stories) and 204,000 square feet housing the new Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse. I'm looking forward to the design phase, slated to begin this fall, and the start of construction in 2013 (fingers crossed for luck). :thumbsup:

IMG_3930.jpg

Edited by RiverWalker

I think that's a great 'before' shot for documentation purposes. Hopefully we'll be able to compare that in a few years to a beautiful new building...

I hope the Courthouse doesn't give Coffee Street the cold shoulder. Coffee has SO much potential as a narrow, pedestrian friendly street. (and, it already is to Brown Street, but should that continue, it'd be terrible to see the new courthouse ruin that opportunity).

• 7 months later...

This was issued April 20th: https://www.fbo.gov/...nnouncement.pdf Thought you guys might find it interesting.

Third on the list for 2013: http://www.gsa.gov/graphics/pbs/BIM_FY_2012-2016.pdf

"...its design should reflect the dignity, enterprise, vigor and stability of the Federal Government." LOL! :rolleyes:

On the plus side, hopefully that means the design will be inspirational and not mundane. Glad to see that it will be LEED Gold. :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...

I just hope that this doesn't tie up any of the previously proposed sites from redevelopment if a decent proposal came along...

I don't see the connection between the LV fiasco and courthouse funding. It's GSA, but the two funding sources are I'm sure different.

The Feds have already closed on the courthouse site, so it won't hold up anything.

Has the federal government started funding courthouses again? A 15 to 18 story federal courthouse was planned for Greensboro six or seven years ago but was put on hold because the Bush administration diverted funds to the Iraq war.

That is a false statement. Construction budgets for courthouses are available through the link below. The Bush administration INCREASED funding for construction of Federal courthouses following 9/11, and for years afterwards.

http://www.justice.gov/about/bpp.htm

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting discussion. We have the exact same situation here in Charlotte- a site has been selected and we are just waiting on something to happen. The federal government understands the concept of investing in a quality building that will last for a long, long time.

In the thread in the Charlotte forum, people have compiled images of recently built or newly planned federal courthouses. It's definitely worth your time to check this thread out. Here's the link. I think we can all assume that the building will be of good quality, and it will be considered an asset to Greenville and it's skyline.

• 7 months later...