Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse

gman430

I've heard 7 stories is likely. At 7 stories, do they seriously need more land??? I'm not happy about this, especially since it involves one of of our more intimate streets: Coffee Street. 

I could care less about the height, but don't just consume land for the Hell of it. I, personally, think an entire City block is enough land for a Federal Courthouse. Architects are smart. Make them figure out how to make it fit and work, don't buy more space.  :stop:

Edited by GvilleSC

Honestly, I have no problem with a seven story (personally I heard eleven stories) federal courthouse going on a site that consists of nothing but a huge parking lot and drive up ATM currently. Yeah, the plans for the courthouse could be cancelled and we could all hope for a mixed use development on site but there is no guarantee of that ever happening.

I've heard 7 stories is likely. At 7 stories, do they seriously need more land??? I'm not happy about this, especially since it involves one of of our more intimate streets: Coffee Street. 

I could care less about the height, but don't just consume land for the Hell of it. I, personally, think an entire City block is enough land for a Federal Courthouse. Architects are smart. Make them figure out how to make it fit and work, don't buy more space.  :stop:

The Spring-irvine-Coffee-North block is a narrow block to begin with, so this isn't that surprising.  The Wells Fargo branch is not adding anything to the ambience of Coffee Street.  If done right, architecturally, this could enhance Coffee St.  The Athens-Clarke GA County Courthouse would be a good model to follow.  

The Spring-irvine-Coffee-North block is a narrow block to begin with, so this isn't that surprising. The Wells Fargo branch is not adding anything to the ambience of Coffee Street. If done right, architecturally, this could enhance Coffee St. The Athens-Clarke GA County Courthouse would be a good model to follow.

Could be, but ultimately one or two streets will get the cold shoulder for this building. Coffee certainly won't be the front.

Not lower end clerks and such.
You said, "those lawyers," which prompted my reply above. I would love to see a few lawyers move their families into Downtown, but that wish is unlikely to affect future residential development there. Most lawyers in the area already work at offices in or near Downtown. Lawyers like to eat and shop, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more retail/restaurant space and another hotel or two. Hopefully residential units and new corporate offices will accompany these additions.

I am sure we will find out.  I'm guessing the US Gov. has to file for abandonments just like anyone else, unless I guess if they use eminent domain.  My guess is that they had some discussions with the city already before buying the two new parcels.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the Journal available for non-subscribers? Their contract with BI-LO apparently ended.

I get mine at Whole Foods Market. The Journal and other publications are located past all the seating booths at the front of the store near the restrooms and silverware station.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran across this today but I have not seen this posted anywhere in this forum. Land acquisition apparently has been completed. "Following years of uncertainty and delays in finding a location, the General Services Administration purchased three separate parcels, totaling 2.4 acres, for approximately $4.078 million, spokeswoman Tina Jaegerman said." https://www.gsabusiness.com/news/46593-u-s-government-buys-land-for-courthouse-in-downtown-greenville?rss=0

• 6 months later...

The GSA is requesting North Irvine Street between East North Street and Coffee Street be abandoned in preparation for the new federal courthouse to be built on site: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/CouncilAgendas/minutes/2013/AUGUST/Formal/8-12-2013/Item09a-Abandonment%20of%20North%20Irvine%20Street.pdf

Edited by gman430