Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse

gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Looks like you were correct.

Northbound lane of N. Spring St., from E. Coffee to E. North Streets

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Lane closure to allow for relocation of a water main for the new federal courthouse. If the work is completed sooner than anticipated, the road will reopen early.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/Calendar.aspx?EID=6452

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Latest update states construction won’t start until Spring 2019. Mehhh...

:lol:

Seriously though, I would think as years have gone by, and construction costs have soared, the money secured years ago would no longer be adequate. Also, the studies done 20 years ago for space needs would be terribly outdated by now; wouldn't there need to be more recent studies? If it had been completed 15 years ago as originally planned we would be looking at a 15 year old building, probably needing additional space, no?

8 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

:lol:

Seriously though, I would think as years have gone by, and construction costs have soared, the money secured years ago would no longer be adequate. Also, the studies done 20 years ago for space needs would be terribly outdated by now; wouldn't there need to be more recent studies? If it had been completed 15 years ago as originally planned we would be looking at a 15 year old building, probably needing additional space, no?

In other words, business as usual for the Federal govt.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, gman430 said:

The building design is currently being studied by the Architect/Engineer and will be revised to align with the construction budget. Completing and issuing early construction packages in December 2018.

so it's somehow getting worse, great. Maybe if it had no windows - perfect!

A complete failure of South Carolina's legislative delegation.

6 hours ago, Spero said:

so it's somehow getting worse, great. Maybe if it had no windows - perfect!

A complete failure of South Carolina's legislative delegation.

The new design is being studied not the old one. This is being funded by the federal government. Has nothing to do with the state of South Carolina. 

8 hours ago, Spero said:

I was referring to the state's delegation to the United States Congress. 

And since seeing the old design I will be skeptical about the new one until I see it.

If only the federal govt would just stick with the federal style, their buildings would be worthy additions, no matter how tall or squat they might be. I'm not looking forward to an 8-story brick with a tiny cupola on it.

But judging from the size of the parcel, it can only be so squat. There will have to be some height, one would think. At least taller than most of the stuff going up right now.

1 hour ago, Exile said:

If only the federal govt would just stick with the federal style, their buildings would be worthy additions, no matter how tall or squat they might be. I'm not looking forward to an 8-story brick with a tiny cupola on it.

But judging from the size of the parcel, it can only be so squat. There will have to be some height, one would think. At least taller than most of the stuff going up right now.

Don't  kid yourself, theres plenty of room on that site for squat...

Looks like the Nashville building cost 194.5 MM. What do we have, 110MM? Don't expect ours to be that nice looking.

https://www.gsa.gov/about-us/regions/welcome-to-the-southeast-sunbelt-region-4/buildings-and-facilities/tennessee/new-nashville-us-courthouse

Ewwww, San Antonio's is worse than ours!:shok:

http://www.tpr.org/post/timeline-set-new-federal-courthouse-building

Toledo's 

https://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2011/06/15/Design-set-for-federal-courthouse.html

Savannah's,

https://www.savannahnow.com/news/20180513/feds-propose-new-building-design-parking-lot-in-savannahs-telfair-square

Can't find a pic for Des Moines. The Savannah style is nice but it's very horizontal. Man that San Antonio building; ok, maybe ours wasn't so bad after all!

Edited by distortedlogic