Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse

gman430

The ordinance passed on Monday, so the city will abandon North Irving Street and relocate Greenville Water System lines within three years. Mayor Knox White says Greenville is high on the list of authorized projects, however, "construction is still several years out." Congress must appropriate funds for the courthouse before it can commence.

From a good source, I understand that this building will not have the height we have been hoping for- at least in terms of floors. Hopefully it will improve density and enhance the urban fabric though.

I don't believe solicitations have gone out yet from GSA for lead design architect. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

:D I never thought I would see the day: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2015/12/17/funding-found-new-federal-courthouse-graham-says/77508584/

$103 million and ten stories tall. Congress is expected to approve rest of funding needed for the project ($92 million) tomorrow. Construction to start soon after. 

Edited by gman430

It is great to finally see this move forward. Considering how long it takes to fund and build these things, I hope the design is pleasing.

The apartments on the old Auditorium site have still not broken ground, maybe now that the Fed.building is happening sooner rather than later, someone will do something else with it instead like a 6-7 story office building oriented toward attorneys.   

My dream project would be a relocation of County Square to the Gateway site or at least City Hall.  Something iconic with a little bit of height.   

4 hours ago, vicupstate said:

It is great to finally see this move forward. Considering how long it takes to fund and build these things, I hope the design is pleasing.

The apartments on the old Auditorium site have still not broken ground, maybe now that the Fed.building is happening sooner rather than later, someone will do something else with it instead like a 6-7 story office building oriented toward attorneys.   

My dream project would be a relocation of County Square to the Gateway site or at least City Hall.  Something iconic with a little bit of height.   

You won't see City Hall moving from Main St. Likely would never move farther than a stone's throw from the current site considering that area is where City Hall has always been and it is centrally located for downtown.

On 12/18/2015 at 10:50 PM, gman430 said:

:D I never thought I would see the day: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2015/12/17/funding-found-new-federal-courthouse-graham-says/77508584/

$103 million and ten stories tall. Congress is expected to approve rest of funding needed for the project ($92 million) tomorrow. Construction to start soon after. 

This is good to hear indeed. The article mentions it being a decade in the making, but I remember it first being announced in the late 90s, so it has been more than 15 years since the initial figures and intent were released. Even at that time, they talked about the current building "busting at the seams" and told the figures that would be needed to fulfill the needs of the city. The plan at a that time was for it to be built within a couple of years. I would think the initial figures for sq footage and such would need to be revised a bit by now since they were calculated like 17 years ago. I look forward to seeing the plans, but I do hope we can get something that looks fairly nice. Ten stories is a bit disappointing though it pretty much fits with everything else going up. I am going to have look up some more examples of federal court buildings to see what we might be looking at. Anyone know how much say the city gets in this? 

On 12/18/2015 at 1:05 PM, ausrutherford said:

You won't see City Hall moving from Main St. Likely would never move farther than a stone's throw from the current site considering that area is where City Hall has always been and it is centrally located for downtown.

A few years ago the city announced it would be building a replica of the old city hall building near it's current location but that must have died with the great recession; haven't heard anything about that in quite awhile. 

A few years ago the city announced it would be building a replica of the old city hall building near it's current location but that must have died with the great recession; haven't heard anything about that in quite awhile. 

That site is now the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel. 

The city wanted to get a developer to build it as a replica in a private-public partnership, but there were no takers.   

• 4 weeks later...
On December 21, 2015 at 5:38 PM, distortedlogic said:

This is good to hear indeed. The article mentions it being a decade in the making, but I remember it first being announced in the late 90s, so it has been more than 15 years since the initial figures and intent were released. Even at that time, they talked about the current building "busting at the seams" and told the figures that would be needed to fulfill the needs of the city. The plan at a that time was for it to be built within a couple of years. I would think the initial figures for sq footage and such would need to be revised a bit by now since they were calculated like 17 years ago. I look forward to seeing the plans, but I do hope we can get something that looks fairly nice. Ten stories is a bit disappointing though it pretty much fits with everything else going up. I am going to have look up some more examples of federal court buildings to see what we might be looking at. Anyone know how much say the city gets in this? 

Curious....any estimates how long it should take for plans to develop for the courthouse? How do they know 10 stories is suffiient to include all that would probably utilize the building? Would think numerous attorneys would have desire to relocate in the building making it possible for a taller facility. I guess you build in correlation to the funds that are available....

19 hours ago, cabelagent said:

Would think numerous attorneys would have desire to relocate in the building making it possible for a taller facility.

Security Concerns limit federal buildings to federal agencies and wouldn't allow private leasing like that. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Not really sure what the point of that news story was. Didn't give any new details and exactly how long is "soon" anyways? Month? Year? Decade? 

Thought the same thing...no rendering offered so it must still be in development stage. Are design plans reviewed by DRB? I hope it's an attractive structure as it's location is a prime area downtown.

7 hours ago, cabelagent said:

Thought the same thing...no rendering offered so it must still be in development stage. Are design plans reviewed by DRB? I hope it's an attractive structure as it's location is a prime area downtown.

Bids by GSA haven't even gone out yet for an architect to design the project.