Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse

gman430

1 hour ago, Spero said:

they own the dirt so the federalis don't have to submit it if they don't want to. 

That's wrong. They do have to submit it before the DRB as it's within the CBD of the city. Doesn't matter who owns the land. There are no exceptions. 

Edited by gman430

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

That's wrong. They do have to submit it before the DRB as it's within the CBD of the city. Doesn't matter who owns the land. There are no exceptions. 

The GSA will submit the design to the DRB and any other local government entities that generally require submission. And the GSA will generally seek to follow suggestions and "requirements" of the local design/zoning boards. However, the ultimate authority is with the GSA. The federal government cannot be told what to do by a local (state) government.

2 hours ago, GMoxley said:

The GSA will submit the design to the DRB and any other local government entities that generally require submission. And the GSA will generally seek to follow suggestions and "requirements" of the local design/zoning boards. However, the ultimate authority is with the GSA. The federal government cannot be told what to do by a local (state) government.

What are you basing that on?  I know of nothing that would exclude them. A federal law would have to supersede the lower government's law.  

It has been many years ago now, but IIRC the Hollings Federal Building in Charleston had to make multiple revisions to get approval from the city's Board of Architectural Review.    

2 hours ago, GMoxley said:

Proof of this? I haven't heard that they are excluded.

48 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

What are you basing that on?  I know of nothing that would exclude them. A federal law would have to supersede the lower government's law.  

The federal law is the supremacy clause of the Constitution. The GSA may make accommodations to avoid a gripe with the City, but when it comes down to it the City can't force their hand.

Columbia ran into this one or two years ago when the GSA proposed razing the VA building next to Finlay Park and replacing it with a beautiful surface lot. The City's only recourse was basically to write their Congressmen.

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Proof of this? I haven't heard that they are excluded.

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

It has been many years ago now, but IIRC the Hollings Federal Building in Charleston had to make multiple revisions to get approval from the city's Board of Architectural Review.    

41 minutes ago, Spero said:

The federal law is the supremacy clause of the Constitution. The GSA may make accommodations to avoid a gripe with the City, but when it comes down to it the City can't force their hand.

Columbia ran into this one or two years ago when the GSA proposed razing the VA building next to Finlay Park and replacing it with a beautiful surface lot. The City's only recourse was basically to write their Congressmen.

Spero is right. I'm by no means a constitutional law expert, but the supremacy clause of the US Constitution has been interpreted by the Supreme Court to exclude federal lands from state and local zoning ordinances. 

I believe at least a portion of Charleston Federal Courthouse (if that's what you're referring to) is actually leased by the federal government and a private citizen is the owner. There are different rules in this situation.

^^ Thanks for the input. Now that I think about it, the fact that the Charleston Courthouse is in a National Historic Register District, that might have made a difference. There are some regulations that Federal projects can't adversely affect properties on the Register or a district. 

3 hours ago, Spero said:

Ahhh...makes sense. Thanks.

Off topic from what you guys are talking about, but for the record:

The local jurisdiction issues the building permit. GSA does internal reviews of the drawings for compliance with their own adopted building standards, but they still have to issue the drawings to the local authority for building code compliance. Typically, this is not an issue because GSA enforces a more strict code upon themselves. However, if a local jurisdiction adopted an even more stringent code, GSA would be required to abide by those guidelines in order to receive a building permit and begin construction.

• 3 months later...

Investigation reveals renderings are from 2014 and therefore no longer valid: http://slideplayer.com/slide/3334725/ FBO with GSA also reveals new design is being drawn. Page 7 under “Art in Architecure”:  https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=55ad0adc266beee9bdcd5f80017590e2

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Investigation reveals renderings are from 2014 and therefore no longer valid: http://slideplayer.com/slide/3334725/ FBO with GSA also reveals new design is being drawn. Page 7 under “Art in Architecure”:  https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=55ad0adc266beee9bdcd5f80017590e2

Whew....thanks gman!

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

Crossing my fingers that you are right. Those images came off a google search I have no inside knowledge. 

With Lindsay Graham running the show on this god only knows what we'll get