Carroll A. Campbell Jr. U.S. Courthouse

gman430

My comments were a response to the size, not the architectural design, since that will hopefully change.  The size of the building has not increased since that rendering was created, and in fact, the overall size of the structure has decreased since the project was initially announced over a decade ago.  Meanwhile, the city and its surrounding region have grown significantly during that time and the judicial needs have grown as well.  Proactive leadership plans for future growth, especially when such projects are slow to develop.  How soon will this building be outgrown if Greenville continues to grow at its current rate?

6 hours ago, Skyliner said:

My comments were a response to the size, not the architectural design, since that will hopefully change.  The size of the building has not increased since that rendering was created, and in fact, the overall size of the structure has decreased since the project was initially announced over a decade ago.  Meanwhile, the city and its surrounding region have grown significantly during that time and the judicial needs have grown as well.  Proactive leadership plans for future growth, especially when such projects are slow to develop.  How soon will this building be outgrown if Greenville continues to grow at its current rate?

I've made this point before too. Been nearly 20 years since this started and those figures were calculated. Surprised it hasn't had to be refigured and enlarged with the growth over the years and projected growth moving forward.

Soooooo relieved that is not the final rendering! Unfortunately, we seem to get a lot of those yucky types.

If the vertical dimensions of that rendering are an accurate indication of the dimensions of the real thing, then it'll seem like 12 or 13 stories.

I like the idea of some sort of cupola. The colonnade (or whatever you call it) on the CNL Tower in Orlando looks great all lit up at night. Hopefully if a cupola is included in the final product, it will be an improvement on the one in that rendering.

19 hours ago, Jet-set said:

Article in Greenville Journal from May of this year says 10 stories. 

The reliability of published articles regarding future (and even current) economic development in and around growing cities has been inconsistent for decades.  Greenville Journal (est. 1999) and The Greenville News (est. 1874) are indistinguishable in that sense.  Speculation about future projects is often misleading or missing important information, regardless of the source.  I suppose that is one of the reasons online forums like this were created.

10 floors (preferably more) would be nice, but a 5 or 6-story building standing at the height of an average 10-story building could be either stunning or awful, depending on its architectural style.  The design posted above would lean heavily in the direction of awful, in my opinion.

So maybe the rendering is correct: https://www.gsa.gov/about-us/regions/welcome-to-the-southeast-sunbelt-region-4/buildings-and-facilities/south-carolina/new-greenville-us-courthouse Gosh...I hope not. HBRA is the architect but nothing on their website. 

Edited by gman430

41 minutes ago, gman430 said:

So maybe the rendering is correct: https://www.gsa.gov/about-us/regions/welcome-to-the-southeast-sunbelt-region-4/buildings-and-facilities/south-carolina/new-greenville-us-courthouse Gosh...I hope not. HBRA is the architect but nothing on their website. 

I wouldn't advertise it either.

I think this rendering may be 9 stories. Looks like the upper windows are 2 stories a piece...

57 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Why does anyone even think a design  from 2014 probably before it is even funded is still the one it use. Clearly it isn't.  

Because it is one shown on that GSA website which was just updated this week. However, the project milestone timeline does show a new design being made over the past year (pages 1-3 under design: https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=55ad0adc266beee9bdcd5f80017590e2) so who knows. Weird.

Edited by gman430

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

According to that link final design delivery isn’t due until next summer. 

The design would look much better if the four corners were recessed (like the element on top), and if the top floor or two were also recessed slightly, or at least a more interesting roof-line would have been better.  It has the appearance of a tall building that was cut in half and the added top element is out of scale for such a large, flat roof.  The main brick structure reminds me of the bland communications building adjacent to Saint George Greek Orthodox Cathedral and The Children's Museum.

51 minutes ago, Skyliner said:

The design would look much better if the four corners were recessed (like the element on top), and if the top floor or two were also recessed slightly, or at least a more interesting roof-line would have been better.  It has the appearance of a tall building that was cut in half and the added top element is out of scale for such a large, flat roof.  The main brick structure reminds me of the bland communications building adjacent to Saint George Greek Orthodox Cathedral and The Children's Museum.

Ditto about comparing it with communications building...how in the world was that terrible architecture approved?  I like the overall  appearance of this structure...will be interesting what recommendations are offered by DRB.  Let's get it going!