NewVenuelg_14394.jpg

Full Sail Studios Gateway Project

Features:

Live Venue

-500 Seat/1100-person capacity auditorium

Game Production Studio

Recording Studio

Film Backlot

To be completed by spring of 2010, this 2.2 acre landmark project will also feature an outdoor plaza courtyard.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the thing's gonna have an auditorium in it anyway, they ought to try to incorporate the old arena into the design & build it right there. Maybe do a little remodeling of the exterior, & connect some of the other new structures to it. It would be right next door to the UCF film school or whatever the old Expo Center is now, which would be a definite plus. Why that isn't being pushed for, I don't know, but it sure would be a cool use for the old O-Rena.

That sounds great if the city would pay for not only construction of a new school, but also an even trade on property. I'm pretty sure they have grown organically over the past couple decades and have been purchasing land as they grow. Even if it is on Semoran and University, it's theirs, right? If that's the case, why would they move into a situation of either having to pay higher land prices or leasing from scratch? Also, moving downtown would really hurt their student body. Almost all of the students live in the nearby apartment complexes and homes in the area. It is much cheaper and easier to find a place to live while going to school in that area as compared to downtown. Full Sail does not provide on campus housing and if they move downtown, they would have to consider adding that into their business model.

I know... wouldn't it be swell if you had UCF Film & Digital Media, Full Sail, and Electronic Arts Tiburon Studios all on the same property? It would be like Disney Village... I mean Digital Village. All joking aside, it could be like Harvard and MIT being in close proximity and working together on many projects. If you threw in the Valencia Community College Film Program from East Campus, you would have all kinds of film minds working together.

I don't see Full Sail moving, but then again, FUMCO worked on their expansion and is being coerced into other plans for City benefit.

Oh, I don't know.... I'd think there are creative things they could do to sweeten the deal.

Full Sail could sell their existing property & the city could provide incentives.

The big benefit for Full Sail would be having such an ultra high profile location, with their name in 10 ft tall lighted letters across the top of the building, visible to everyone who drove thru downtown along I-4.

Not to mention the aforementioned close proximity to the UCF Film school & any other digital media concerns that also might be attracted to such a venue.

But I do realize that it is, of course, wishful thinking.

yea, I think we all realize that getting this venue downtown would be a pipe dream. Economically it simply makes sense for them to expand around their existing campus. It would just be so awesome to get this somewhere around the centroplex, and make the creative village into a reality

Unfortunately this sets back from the road quite a bit. The picture above is facing 436 but I believe there are some small buildings blocking the view. Full Sail has slowly been acquiring buildings all over the surrounding area but it is such a scattered campus. You would think that a high tech school like them that charges $40,000-$75,000 for a degree would want to be in an urban area with a style that compliments them.

Full Sail is first and foremost a land acquisition company, Silver State Properties. The school owns all of the surrounding property including the land that the McD's is on as well as the Sunnys BBQ, there are renderings floating around that show both with Full Sail buildings. The school charges a lot of money for tuition but they are extremely frugal. The projects groundbreaking was postponed so the construction costs wouldn't exceed their budget for the year.

There is an auditorium in the Multipurpose building (left structure). The Audio Temple (right structure) is two stories and is for recording studios and classrooms. They are both tilt up buildings, facades provided by Nassal. It has an extremely intricate and large hardscape package, tons of in ground lighting, etc. As you can see in the picture, all of the parking that was torn up and fenced off will be replaced with concrete paths, trees, plants, etc. The blue that you see in the foreground on the left is poured in place benches with built in lighting.

It's a nice project.

If you can't bring the school downtown, maybe bring downtown to the city? How could the area around Full Sail be built up to be an urban area?

I was just thinking the same thing... this could be the start of some other projects hearby that really transform that pert of town... If I recall, technically, is this Winter Park City Limits? That might have something to do with it as well if it is...

Full Sail is Winter Park with regards to their mailing address. As far as city limits is concerned, I don't know.

Having their name in lights along I-4 wouldn't hurt, but they do a lot of advertising online and they have been running ads in Rolling Stone magazine for like a decade now. They aren't just pulling in locals for student body. Most of the students are kids that couldn't get into other schools and their parents have too much money to know what to do with it (and they want their kids out of the house). This doesn't paint the whole student body picture, but it covers most of the canvas.

Full Sail is first and foremost a land acquisition company, Silver State Properties. The school owns all of the surrounding property including the land that the McD's is on as well as the Sunnys BBQ, there are renderings floating around that show both with Full Sail buildings.

How did Full Sail get ahold of those properties? Wasn't the shopping center and the restaurants there before Full Sail was? I know there used to be a hotel at that corner....I guess its used as offices.

How did Full Sail get ahold of those properties?

By charging $40,000-70,000 for a degree :dontknow:

It doesn't stop there. They own the land that Costco sits on as well as the adjacent property that abuts the back side of the Post Office. If that wasn't enough they recently acquired the K-Mart shopping plaza at the corner of University & Goldenrod.

As far as the location of the school, it's great!! Think about it, as a student you've got a school that has classrooms two doors down from a head shop, a pizza place, and a Winghouse in the parking lot. What else could someone struggling for creativity ask for?

I was just thinking the same thing... this could be the start of some other projects hearby that really transform that pert of town... If I recall, technically, is this Winter Park City Limits? That might have something to do with it as well if it is...

No. It is Orange County. Winter Park Stops at the Cady Way Bike Trail.

As far as the location of the school, it's great!! Think about it, as a student you've got a school that has classrooms two doors down from a head shop, a pizza place, and a Winghouse in the parking lot. What else could someone struggling for creativity ask for?

Having all that stuff available right on campus in the student center, maybe?

Especially if said campus was located in the heart of a thriving, cosmopolitan, urban environment with a flourishing street scene & nightlife. :rolleyes:

It's not like Full Sail is an OCPS for gosh sakes. They can't afford a downtown space, even at the extravagant price per credit hour. Well, then again, you are paying for a passing grade no matter what your actual score in class. BTW, have you seen the offerings for distance learning at Berkley?

A couple of my friends teach at Full Sail and they have no qualms failing students. They know they'll be right back and they tell them to pay attention this time around. When you pay as much as they do per credit hour, they start learning not to fail. Also, Full Sail has a great reputation for getting their alumni jobs.

• 4 months later...

this thing is well underway.

sorry, no pix, but, damn, they are gutting that plaza and incorporating new buildings behind the Ale House, and all I can say is wow when this gets completed. It will be pretty nice.

It will be a bona fide campus when its done.

• 11 months later...

Archived