Archaeological Ruins of old Amusement Park near Charlotte

monsoon

I remember it. There were actually two of these water slide parks. The other water slide was located on North Tryon in the Y made where Eastway drive runs into it. They were basically clones of each other. The North Tryon water slide was bulldozed down after it closed in the very early 1980s and the current set of buildings built on top of it soon after. One of these was the 2nd or 3rd Bojangles ever built. (well possibly) The water slide on South Blvd also closed in the early 80s but it sat there abandoned for many years. I believe trees ended up growing out of the dirt mountain and obscured it for a long time. It met its final demise when that section of South Blvd was 4 lane'd in the 90s.

-------------

While we are at this, there was also a slide on Hwy 29 was one comes into Concord approximately where WPEG is/was located. This was not a water slide, but rather fiberglass slide (multiple parallel lanes) supported by a rather tall tower. It was a bit terrorizing to go to the top of it. They would give you a burlap sack and you would slide down it. The sack was to keep you from getting burnt by the friction. About midways down, you would be going so fast you would be airborne. Needless to say, something like this would not be acceptable in these times as the owners would get sued. This slide also closed in the early 80s but it did sit there for many years abandoned until it was finally torn down.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While we are at this, there was also a slide on Hwy 29 was one comes into Concord approximately where WPEG is/was located. This was not a water slide, but rather fiberglass slide (multiple parallel lanes) supported by a rather tall tower. It was a bit terrorizing to go to the top of it. They would give you a burlap sack and you would slide down it. The sack was to keep you from getting burnt by the friction. About midways down, you would be going so fast you would be airborne. Needless to say, something like this would not be acceptable in these times as the owners would get sued. This slide also closed in the early 80s but it did sit there for many years abandoned until it was finally torn down.

Those type slides were very prevalent during the 60's & 70's. You slid down on those burlap rugs. They called it "Slide-Slide".

Charlotte had 2 that I remember. Both were at Putt-Putts. One being on Woodlawn (near S Blvd) exactly where the CVS is now. The other was on Albemarle Rd near the Sharon Amity intersection. Oh what fun! I'll see if I can dig up some pictures. I have some of both locations somewhere in my collections.

Charlotte had lot's of amusement places like that during the 70's. There were several go-kart tracks (one behind Zack's Hamburgers), Skateboard parks, waterslides, slide-slides, and Easter weekend kicked off those Spring carnivals. I use to love watching them set up the rides at Starmount Shopping Center on Easter Sunday.

Memories.....

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In their latest issue and on line, "Our State" recounts the heyday of Lakewood Park. There are several photos posted ( some have been seen on this site before) but there are a couple that show the park from a "birds-eye" view as well as one from the Charlotte Observer showing the broken dam.. A vibrant entertainment venue from 1910 thru 1939, Lakewood Park was served by an extension of the electric trolley and was the social mecca in the area as soldiers from Camp Green would find their way there, and was purportedly where Billy Graham's parents met and dated...

http://www.lakewoodparkcharlotte.com/

Neat stuff.

This area is now included in the 10 Year Park & Rec. Master Plan as an extension of the Stewart Creek Greenway as well as a critical Carolina Thread Trail link from Uptown to the National White Water Center.

In their latest issue and on line, "Our State" recounts the heyday of Lakewood Park. There are several photos posted ( some have been seen on this site before) but there are a couple that show the park from a "birds-eye" view as well as one from the Charlotte Observer showing the broken dam.. A vibrant entertainment venue from 1910 thru 1939, Lakewood Park was served by an extension of the electric trolley and was the social mecca in the area as soldiers from Camp Green would find their way there, and was purportedly where Billy Graham's parents met and dated...

Lakewood Park - Charlotte, NC

Neat stuff.

Archived