Independence Corridor

underoak

• 1 month later...

MoRA Point construction has begun...

Selwyn Property Group and SunCap Property Group, both Charlotte real estate firms, are developing a 13.6-acre site into a 60,000-square-foot commercial center. The site is bounded by Monroe and Idlewild roads, Independence Boulevard and Long Avenue.

The center has been named MoRA Point, paying homage to the nearby branded neighborhood along Monroe Road.

It will be anchored by a 22,000-square-foot grocery store, expected to be Aldi.

paywalled article: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/05/01/charlotte-firms-break-ground-on-redevelopment.html

Map:

image.png.b8678658f62f14cd2e55a2aea1e52b50.png

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

I think Lidl is the grocery anchor, but I’m not 100% sure.

The article from today says Aldi.

12 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Do we have site plans?

Approved site plan is here: http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/001-016/2017-016 approved site plan.pdf

Note: the site plan was supposed to account (or take into consideration) for the Silver Line...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

16 minutes ago, Scribe said:

The article from today says Aldi.

Approved site plan is here: http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/001-016/2017-016 approved site plan.pdf

Note: the site plan was supposed to account (or take into consideration) for the Silver Line...

Yeesh. Well, it'll be nice to have nice shiny new development. Too bad this little wedge (including M Station/Hawthornes) couldn't be an itty-bitty-urban oasis that kisses the Silver Line.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Well, it'll be nice to have nice shiny new development. Too bad this little wedge (including M Station/Hawthornes) couldn't be an itty-bitty-urban oasis that kisses the Silver Line.

Both this and M Station still have the potential, since both are phased projects, but it would depend on getting a more concrete timeline on the Silver Line.... The zoning on this one is mostly MUDD-O, should be flexible enough....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I am guessing the plans for Varnadore Building fell apart or is there still hope?  drive by today 

I looked and the most recent thing I could find anywhere was from may and it was that the developer was waiting to hear from ncdot about LED signage facing independence.

The developer is Beaver Creek CRE, LLC if anyone wants to drop them a line and ask.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lit said:

I was hoping to win that $1.5B Mega jackpot so I could buy the Varnadore building and turn it into my own personal condo tower. I bet the skyline/sunset views look pretty sweet from up there. 

Imagine the skyline views too from there.  I sure wish something will be done with it soon.  

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If that's the case then seems like the Varnadore refurbishment will move forward albeit at a snails pace.  Better than nothing i guess...

East Independence corridor does have some momentum with the other projects (Walmart, Car Development, Bojangles Connector, etc.)

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

If that's the case then seems like the Varnadore refurbishment will move forward albeit at a snails pace.  Better than nothing is guess...

East Independence corridor does have some momentum with the other projects (Walmart, Car Development, Bojangles Connector, etc.)

I really want a developer, or even the city, to do something with the abandoned buildings and lots on Independence on the same side as the Varnadore building between Albemarle and Eastway. Even a conversion to a greenfield is preferred; the brownfield is by far the worst I’ve seen in Charlotte. 

1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

I really want a developer, or even the city, to do something with the abandoned buildings and lots on Independence on the same side as the Varnadore building between Albemarle and Eastway. Even a conversion to a greenfield is preferred; the brownfield is by far the worst I’ve seen in Charlotte. 

Not sure I'd want the City involved as owner.  Look at the Eastland Mall site.  Only City involvement I'd want to see is something they could do to incentivize those properties.  Waive all development fees, create special Zoning overlay for distressed sites, etc.   Something to make it sweet for developers to privately fund something.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 4