Independence Corridor

underoak

15 hours ago, Third Strike said:

I really want a developer, or even the city, to do something with the abandoned buildings and lots on Independence on the same side as the Varnadore building between Albemarle and Eastway. Even a conversion to a greenfield is preferred; the brownfield is by far the worst I’ve seen in Charlotte. 

13 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Not sure I'd want the City involved as owner.  Look at the Eastland Mall site.  Only City involvement I'd want to see is something they could do to incentivize those properties.  Waive all development fees, create special Zoning overlay for distressed sites, etc.   Something to make it sweet for developers to privately fund something.

Agreed, I'd prefer incentivizing developers to make projects that face inward, away from 74 - while connecting the ped/bike infrastructure more.

Now, all the subdivisions in the hinterlands... one of these decades I'd love to see those all return to greenfields... sadly it will take horrid economic conditions on these areas for that to come even close to being possible.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 6:10 AM, lit said:

I see they’re demolishing the entire right section of the old Matthews Festival shopping center. The lights were on in the old theater though, are they saving it?

Don't know about the old movie, but they are building a BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse somewhere on that parcel closer to Independence.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What if the city were to move the convention center to the Coliseum area? The current convention center is too small, doesn't really have space to expand, and is badly integrated into the urban environment. In Germany, the convention centers are usually on the edge of town (Hanover, Munich) and are much bigger than all but a few American convention centers

12 hours ago, sakami said:

Did I imagine it or did the old bowling alley near Briar Creek recently get a paint job? I saw a truck parked in front of the building the other day and I haven’t seen a car there in at least 10 years. 

It is being turned into an adult playground.  Was supposed to open in June, so not sure what the new target date will be.  Story below.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/165092/coliseum-v-action-bar-virtual-reality-action-field/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, joenc said:

What if the city were to move the convention center to the Coliseum area? The current convention center is too small, doesn't really have space to expand, and is badly integrated into the urban environment. In Germany, the convention centers are usually on the edge of town (Hanover, Munich) and are much bigger than all but a few American convention centers

Most of the convention facilities in the US are the opposite of Europe, in the center of town and close to many hotels and amenities. There isn't even robust public transport to the Coliseum Area, plus only one hotel. But in 50 years, who knows...

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Third Strike said:

It’s a 7-Eleven. 

That’s good... and bad. Independence needs more gas stations since we lost 4(?) up near Idlewild in the expressway conversion, but WTF are we doing here? Do we really need more cars pulling out and crossing 4 lanes of 60+ mph traffic to get to Albemarle Rd? That Walmart entrance is bonkers!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Dale said:

I thought that gold building was so cool ... thirty years ago.

I still think it’s cool. Coming down the hill by Carmax it’s neat to see where the road takes you as you head to uptown

Did they seriously build a Texas Roadhouse across the parking lot from the old Texas Roadhouse / (Prime)? I’ll try to snap a pic before they take the signage down, but there now TWO Texas Roadhouses at Matthews Festival!!! 

4 hours ago, lit said:

I still think it’s cool. Coming down the hill by Carmax it’s neat to see where the road takes you as you head to uptown

Did they seriously build a Texas Roadhouse across the parking lot from the old Texas Roadhouse / (Prime)? I’ll try to snap a pic before they take the signage down, but there now TWO Texas Roadhouses at Matthews Festival!!! 

They did build a new Texas Roadhouse, but they shut the old one down and moved, so they don’t have 2 open in the same shopping center.  I really am curious as to why they felt the need to build a new one.