Independence Corridor

underoak

I don't think there should be any RIRO access points on Independence.  Isn't that the point of a freeway?  I always thought the entrance to Wal-Mart should have been off an exit (or at least a very long and well-marked dedicated turn lane).  These RIRO access points essentially eliminate a travel lane on Independence.  And I can't tell you how many near wrecks I've witnessed caused by people trying to cut across multiple lanes of traffic to get from the Wal-Mart access point on Independence over to the left exit to Albemarle Road.

NCDOT loves the idea of an expressway for some reason, which to them is a distinct thing from a freeway/interstate. It's well past time for them to just bite the bullet and go full interstate.

I love the idea of a small expressway like Rock Creek Parkway, FDR drive, the Hudson Parkway, or even 76 along the Schuykill, but Independence has too many lanes and too many access points to be that. They should have built access roads on the outside of a MUCH smaller expressway and actually made it limited access with a wall if that's what they wanted. What they currently have is a wasted mess of space and impervious spaces. Buildings give way to parking lots that turn into a road that is too wide only to be mirrored on the other side of the roadway.

The idiot that dreamed up this design for Independence should not have a job planning transportation because they have not only failed at planning, but they also failed miserably at the transportation piece. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting this prevalent attitude that Independence and the nearby development are completely past the point of no return. By the looks of things on google maps... it doesn't look good.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll.

I'm getting this prevalent attitude that Independence and the nearby development are completely past the point of no return. By the looks of things on google maps... it doesn't look good.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll.

Well, they are building a freeway through the corridor.  So I'm not sure what your expectation is.  I'll take any new development along Indy, regardless of what it looks like.

Well, they are building a freeway through the corridor.  So I'm not sure what your expectation is.  I'll take any new development along Indy, regardless of what it looks like.

This. Anything is better than the run down mess that is there now. They could film the walking dead there and not even have to do any work to make it look apocalyptic. 

• 3 weeks later...

So the Monroe Rd Streetscape Project is one of the most unexpected and exciting things I've found lately. Considering Monroe Rd/7th St is a thoroughfare into and out of town (like South Blvd, Tryon St, Central Ave, etc) I have doubts that they would ever change the lanes from two to one-per-direction. But based on conversations the staff working on it clearly want to emulate East Blvd.

I really feel that the only effective solution to creating a bikable environment on this corridor is to forego traditional un-protected bike lanes, and widen the sidewalks on both sides of the streets somewhere between 8-14 ft to make it act as a multi-use path. It would actually be just as space-efficient, if not more so, than adding a traditional bike lane, plus it would actually encourage the non-hardcore bikers to ride their bikes! We've all seen bike lanes put on the most dangerous, high-speed roads. No matter how well they calm traffic along this stretch of Monroe Rd, it's not going to convince people to ride their bikes if they're still next to cars trying to get from Union County to Uptown.

On another note, while I know the Silver Line study is looking into running parallel to the CSX tracks for a while, what do you think the chances are that in the meantime (what, 20 years?) they could install a greenway from Richland Ave in Oakhurst to Washburn Ave near Grier Heights? Even a dirt trail would do wonders. Wendover is already grade-separated thanks to CSX, so it would be the perfect way to connect pedestrians/bikes without having to cross the major road of Wendover. Would that be easier to convince CSX of than a transit line?:

Richland-Washburn Greenway.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 4 weeks later...

The new Bojangles Arena looks really really great.  I was (probably still am) not a big proponent of the project considering the dough we spent, but the end product is top notch.  I'm glad the Checker found a barn they can be proud of.  I'll actually be there Saturday night!  

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2015/11/arena-makeover-finished-city-considers-eastside.html#g1

• 6 months later...
On 11/4/2015 at 9:23 PM, Dale said:

Audio from the Coliseum Center site: *crickets*

This work appears mostly done and is now a lovely parking lot. 

On a different topic, anyone have any news on the Independence work being done at Sharon Amity, Idlewild etc? It has been dead at all of those half built bridges for months now. Is anything going to happen with those or is there still no company to do the work?

• 2 months later...

Childress Klein is moving ahead with the retail portion of Meridian Place. Hawthorne's Pizza is one the first announced tenants for the development.

Also, I really don't think the NCDOT is going to make the original deadline of October for completing the Independence widening project... The Sharon Amity interchange still requires a lot of work, and the Idlewild bridge is still unopened, not to mention the southbound ramp hasn't been worked on.

10 hours ago, Third Strike said:

Childress Klein is moving ahead with the retail portion of Meridian Place. Hawthorne's Pizza is one the first announced tenants for the development.

It feels like they're creating a future Place right in front of our eyes. Not too shabby urban design on those blocks!

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2016 at 10:54 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

What fresh hell is this?

Interesting that they are asking for $900,000 to help secure additional funding when the property is for sale for $850,000.

I can understand the desire for residents in this area wanting to improve this site....but aquaponics???

Personally, with the size of this parcel and building, as well as the location, could the city or county look at shifting office space from out of Uptown to here?  Seems like a way to open up more development options Uptown and put services closer to a large % of those who use them.  No?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, archiham04 said:

I would imagine there is a reason that the building is not being used for office.  Buildings of this era often time have abatement issues.

I don't think the construction on 74 has helped either.  

Does anyone know, even with abatement, is $23 per s/f a good price for office space so close to uptown?