Independence Corridor

underoak

On 5/20/2017 at 11:24 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Well, if we learned one thing from the Parks Chevrolet going into U City, it's that if a dealership doesn't go where we'd rather it not go, it will just end up where we really dont want it to go.

Don't forget adding an asston of traffic to a dead end access road already servicing a Walmart... wow.

On 5/11/2017 at 5:41 PM, atlrvr said:

Am I missing something of does this not seem like an incredible waste of $18mm that will in no way be stimulative.....just cuz you can doesn't mean you should.

Back of house type space now drives 90% of the Theater and Arena business.  Unless we invest in this, there will be zero chance of top tier events continuing at these facilities.  I think it is an incredibly efficient use of 18m to increase the use of a facility that could cost a hundred million (or more) to build today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, archiham04 said:

Back of house type space now drives 90% of the Theater and Arena business.  Unless we invest in this, there will be zero chance of top tier events continuing at these facilities.  I think it is an incredibly efficient use of 18m to increase the use of a facility that could cost a hundred million (or more) to build today.

Do you mean front of house? I could see that being viable for meeting/conference/special event space. 

I'm not intimately familiar with the floor plan of the facility but when I think of meeting and conference space I think of flex use rooms that would not necessarily be used during a performance. Those rooms would be great rooms for a visiting acts entourage, hospitality rooms for VIPs etc. That's what I think of when I say back of house for an arena or performing arts facility. Not your traditional loading zone and dumpster pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/20/2017 at 8:05 PM, Squid7085 said:

Oh look, a perfect opportunity to remove driveways on Independence and move to an access road. So logically this plan has two more already. Smart.

I 100% agree with this. Since they're going the strip mall route anyway, Independence will never be an urban oasis. It is best to create service roads as opposed to these strip mall entrances directly off of a high speed expressway. This is just dangerous. 

• Like 2

Further out the former Kmart/American Fare/Steve and Barry's 165,000 sq ft store that has now been turned into office space has leased 90,000 sq ft to Verizon for a call center. This is a great use for this huge former big box store. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article152457684.html  And the old Walmart at Arrowood and South Blvd is being converted to office space as well. This renovated big box called Arrowood Station is walking distance to the LYNX light. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

There's an "Independence Blvd Area Plan" document that states that Indy shall continue to host "auto-oriented" businesses. So, really, brilliantly, beautifully, none of this goes against city policy.

Yeah, the push for any real urban development should be on Monroe Road and Central Ave. Empty or derelict parcels should be converted to green space, like the old hotel that sat across the street from the Bojangles Coliseum. 

It's amazing to me that an entire city corridor was sacrificed so that commuters from Union County could shave twenty minutes from their ride. I support finishing the project, but I think it was a mistake to ever convert Independence. South Boulevard and the Blue Line would have been a great model for Indy, but I realize that came far after the fact.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Third Strike said:

Yeah, the push for any real urban development should be on Monroe Road and Central Ave. Empty or derelict parcels should be converted to green space, like the old hotel that sat across the street from the Bojangles Coliseum. 

It's amazing to me that an entire city corridor was sacrificed so that commuters from Union County could shave twenty minutes from their ride. I support finishing the project, but I think it was a mistake to ever convert Independence. South Boulevard and the Blue Line would have been a great model for Indy, but I realize that came far after the fact.

Union County commuters were not the primary reason for the conversion. Charlotte lacks an east/west interstate and 74 is envision as limited access throughout most of the state and is even designated as an Interstate in some areas. It is Charlotte's connection to the port at Wilmington as well. 

• Like 3

Verizon is leasing nearly 90,000 square feet in the former Super Kmart at 2401 Sardis Road North. The 165,000-square-foot building, now called INQ @ 2401, was upfitted into office space last year by ownership, a joint venture between DRA Advisors and Mainstreet Capital Partners.The new facility will accommodate existing employees and make room for additional positions, which could include 100 to 300 new jobs over the next couple of years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/05/25/verizon-wireless-expands-into-larger-call-center.html

7PK9Pjh.jpg?1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, KJHburg said:

As reported on UP in May old Coliseum shopping center is being torn down (finally) automotive tenant will be an EchoPark a CarMax type used car dealer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/06/15/independence-boulevard-shopping-center-to-undergo.html

Before they tear it down, someone should seize the opportunity to film one of those movies that calls for a dystopian, post-apocalyptic backdrop.

• Like 2

looking at those restaurant pads, I'm guessing a McDonalds and either a Chick-fil-a or a Cook Out. 

With car sales headed the way they are, car sharing and self driving vehicles on the hear horizon, who are the people who are doing used car lots all over Charlotte? is there really the demand? How do the economics work?

1 hour ago, Zando-Zan said:

looking at those restaurant pads, I'm guessing a McDonalds and either a Chick-fil-a or a Cook Out. 

With car sales headed the way they are, car sharing and self driving vehicles on the hear horizon, who are the people who are doing used car lots all over Charlotte? is there really the demand? How do the economics work?

I'm guessing they do well in lower income areas, especially in the suburbs. 

14 hours ago, Zando-Zan said:

It's funny that the old McDonald's across the street (next to the abandoned Arby's and the abandoned Shoney's) couldn't make it in that location. The inbound people could probably use some McCafe in the morning, but then again there is a McD's off the Eastway exit in both directions.

...and speaking of Used Cars, have you ever noticed that the cars at those little used car lots on the outbound side between Briar Creek and Eastway have had the same cars for the past 10 years?

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, AP3 said:

To be fair, I'm not sure what was left to save of that center.

I was being facetious. ;) Good riddance to the hulking, apocalyptic eyesore. Seriously, one of the reasons I've been embarrassed to drive out-of-towners down Independence.

• Like 1