Independence Corridor

underoak

Independence is already one of the ugliest corridors in the metro. Rather than blight other areas of the metro with car dealerships, the philosophy seems to be cluster them all on Independence and just leave it as a quasi interstate with ugly things you don't really want in an actual desirable area.

• Like 1

The Coliseum Center is fenced off and there are some Bobcats on site so it's about to go down. Also, Mr Transmission has been vacated and looks to be on the chopping block. Next to that is a blank spot with an old foundation (Po Folks?) that has a For Sale sign in front of it, then the old Capri theater.

Does anybody know, are they going to tear down the Capri?

Edited by lit

On 7/22/2017 at 5:11 PM, Third Strike said:

The rezoning petition for the Varnadore building was withdrawn. That plan was a pipe dream anyway, but it's still disappointing that the building will continue to languish. 

Who wants to bet it will come back in an non election year?

They should just commit to making Independence/74 a full on freeway all the way from uptown to the 485 and stop pretending it will evolve to anything but one.  

The opportunity for mixed use corridors exists with Central/Lawyers and Monroe.   I know some are opposed to the expansion of freeways but my take is being half in and half out is worse than just going all in on both efforts.  

I noticed some new 50MPH SPEED LIMIT signs were installed, then covered up. Now the cover is hanging off of the sign on the outbound side near where Keffer used to be. Back by Walmart there are still signs that say SPEED LIMIT 45MPH AHEAD. 

1 hour ago, lit said:

I noticed some new 50MPH SPEED LIMIT signs were installed, then covered up. Now the cover is hanging off of the sign on the outbound side near where Keffer used to be. Back by Walmart there are still signs that say SPEED LIMIT 45MPH AHEAD. 

Have they opened all the lanes yet? Seems like all the work is done. I actually wonder how bad the bottle neck will be driving outbound during evening times. The road will almost abruptly drop from three lanes and one auxiliary lane, to just two. This isn't including the future toll lane that should open in a couple of years. 

Right, and I am wondering if we know where overpasses will be vs interchanges.  I just looked at the "long term plans" layer on the development map to try make a guess...  If I were betting, I would say:

Interchanges:

1. Village Lake and realigned WT Harris
  2. Sardis Rd Extension

Overpasses:

1. Dwight St Extension
  2. Krefeld Dr.
  3. Sam Newell

8 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

I think that is the plan, but whoever added the extension to the development map forgot to add a source, so I can't double check where the information came from, or if it has changed since it was mapped.

I see something under the long-term plans layer, but it refers to a dead link. The 2045 public comment plan has something completely different now.

samnewell.png

2045.png

• Like 1

By around 2025 or 2026, the first stop light you'll meet coming from downtown will be at Waxhaw Indian Trail/Indian Trail Fairview in Union County. The whole stretch of 74 through Meck and past Stallings Road will be right in/right out only as it is currently where the road is completed. Construction should begin around 2021 since this is a funded project. 

The project website has some good info and maps showing where all the interchanges, grade separations and new roadways will be built. 

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/U-2509/

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/U-2509/download/AerialMap1.pdf

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, 49er said:

By around 2025 or 2026, the first stop light you'll meet coming from downtown will be at Waxhaw Indian Trail/Indian Trail Fairview in Union County. The whole stretch of 74 through Meck and past Stallings Road will be right in/right out only as it is currently where the road is completed. Construction should begin around 2021 since this is a funded project. 

The project website has some good info and maps showing where all the interchanges, grade separations and new roadways will be built. 

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/U-2509/

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/U-2509/download/AerialMap1.pdf

Sadly, it looks like the Chili's and Buffalo Wild Wings won't survive.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

"$35M Coliseum Crossing Replacing Notorious Charlotte Eyesore"

Charlotte-based Sonic Automotive signed the first lease in the project — it plans to open one of its EchoPark used car dealerships on about 10 acres of the 18.3-acre site by the end of 2018, Sonic Executive Vice President Jeff Dyke said.

Coliseum Crossing’s remaining eight acres could include 60K SF of retail space, but The Nichols Co.'s Josh Beaver, who is leasing the space, said the team is keeping its options open. “It’s a pliable site plan right now,” he said. “Nothing is set in stone. We could easily lease the space to the usual discount retailers, but we’re more interested in a higher-grade tenant mix. It’s been an eyesore for a long time, and we want to make a fresh new start.”   

Can we all give a resounding eye-roll?

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is the renovation of the old American Fare/Kmart/Steve and Barrys big box store. This is where Verizon signed a huge lease. Thank goodness this big box is no longer empty. 

Drove by the old Coliseum shopping center and the demo is doing great. That eyesore needs to come down.  

IMG_0310.JPG

• Like 2