Independence Corridor

underoak

• 5 weeks later...

The rate of businesses closing seems just as fast, if not faster, along the section of Independence immediately east of the new widening than the section recently widened. Corridors constantly evolve to surrounding demographics and changing traffic patterns, as well as infrastructure.  There a lot more external forces shaping Independence than the roadway itself.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2017 at 8:28 AM, Dale said:

After having destroyed perhaps scores of businesses, what has been gained ? Save seven minutes on drive from Uptown to Stallings ?

Or create a east side artery for a city that will have 3 million residents by 2030.  Same reason they are building out the silver line.  

Edited by cjd5050

2 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Car dealership. lol. 

How about a large "pull it yourself" automotive  junk yard.  It could be massive and people might actually use it.  Or it could be a place for "boot" sales which are like a flea market where people sell things out of the "boot" or trunk of their cars?  I will try to think of something that seems even stupider. :rofl:

Indy has always needed to be either a highway, or a giant super urban Boulevard with bananas ped/bike facilities. 

The only hope for the future is in 50-75 years the state will allow Charlotte to do the latter while taking advantage of the existing expressway and beidges.

Though realistically, we just need to turn development inward toward the neighborhoods and run Greenway parallel to Indy.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, navigator319 said:

Only a small portion of all that land is going to that use. The other portion is not announced yet.

It’s supposed to be a shopping center with two fast food parcels.  Too bad the city took so long to draft the new Silver Line plan. One of the transit stations was supposed to go there. 

6 hours ago, Third Strike said:

It’s supposed to be a shopping center with two fast food parcels.  Too bad the city took so long to draft the new Silver Line plan. One of the transit stations was supposed to go there. 

I saw this and thought "maybe they'll save some space for a station" but the rendering included with the latest alignment shows an access road and the proposed station occupying this entire section of 74. 

http://plancharlotte.org/story/charlotte-cats-light-rail-transit-or-brt-independence-boulevard

19 hours ago, Dale said:

Wonderful! It won't take us more than 15 minutes to drive through the wasteland.

It's a wasteland, in some parts, do to transition and inability to commit to this being an expressway.  If they were to have built side access roads rather than letting everyone do a curb cut, you would actually see viable development here.  

As for 15 minutes, ya you're missing the point.  Like it or not, the people in Southeast Charlotte and the Eastern half of Mecklenburg County exist.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asthasr said:

I dunno, I lived in Wilmington for a while and I'd describe their infrastructure as "spartan."

1 hour ago, asthasr said:

I dunno, I lived in Wilmington for a while and I'd describe their infrastructure as "spartan."

Southestern NC does not get much love from NCDOT.  I know,  I lived down there for 23 years

• Like 2

2nd attempt to redevelop Varnadore Bldg on Indy from the Business Journal,

Gvest Capital, based in Pineville, has filed a rezoning petition to allow mixed-use development at the Varnadore Building, a 2.1-acre site at 4037 E. Independence Blvd. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/10/25/whats-changed-in-new-attempt-to-redevelop.html?ana=TWT_staffAF

Lets hope this one works out! 

• Like 2