Independence Corridor

underoak

38 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Down Independence for the first time in a while today.  Echo Park car dealer underway.  any more news on the Varnadore bldg other than the article I posted above? 

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

They resubmitted the rezoning petition, but that’s about it. I actually would like to see it converted into micro-apartments instead of a venue, especially with such a killer view of Uptown, but that’s just me. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Scribe said:

The Varnadore redevelopment project looks to be moving through zoning again...

image.png.85df0fcc572b7c7dca7a27ef0a2ccc6d.png

Revised site plan: http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/159-174/2017-167 site plan rev.pdf

That looks terrible... I mean the building already looks bad but with those big, I assume LED, screens with adds and the wire frame overhang... 

What has happened to architectural design? This is just flat lazy.

• Like 1

Looks like the staff are still not liking the Varnadore redevelopment..

Staff does not recommend approval of this petition in its current form due to the requested attached LED and video signage increases and building heights. Plan Consistency The petition is inconsistent with the Independence Boulevard Area Plan, which recommends transit oriented residential development.

Rationale for Recommendation

• The subject property is currently developed with the eight story Varnadore building and a one-story retail building.

• Both buildings are in a deteriorated condition and reuse/ redevelopment of this site is a priority.

• Staff supports the intent of the rezoning. However, there are significant outstanding issues that should be addressed prior to approval.

These include:

• The digital signage proposed to be located at the top of the Varnadore building is equivalent to approximately seven digital outdoor advertising (billboard) faces in a location where billboards are not generally allowed and adjacent to single family residential.
  • The increase in height of the existing building and of the proposed height of the second new building far exceed transit oriented development guidelines for properties adjacent to single family neighborhoods.
  • Finally, it is unclear what the condition of the existing building is, and if a new building is constructed it should conform to the transit oriented development height standards in relationship to the neighborhood.

• Like 1

I guess an abandoned 7 story building is better than some large signage on top of an existing building.  Don't understand the opposition to that or the possible new building on the site.  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/01/18/high-profile-redevelopment-in-east-charlotte-faces.html?ana=e_me_set1&s=newsletter&ed=2018-01-18&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1516289066&j=79525591   

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Don't understand the opposition to that or the possible new building on the site.

The signage is a precedent. If you allow this, then future projects can ask for the same "waiver" of the rules as the Varnadore  project.

I think it's a good discussion, and there will be a compromise on smaller signage.

About 90% certain it gets approved next month.

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 4

The CBJ confirmed my earlier statement that GVest is the developer.  Our Local I don't believe has any current involvement.

I'm very supportive of this....but I generally like both ugly buildings and gaudy signs, so Winning.

This part of town really needs some higher dollar commercial capital investment to maintain the recent surge in residential investment.

• Like 2

So they were supposed to grade that intersection for a future park and ride lot.  It looks like they stockpiled soil there and built a site lighting pole on top of the pile.  THis will make for a more expensive project when and/or if they come back and want to ever put in a park and ride lot...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 1/25/2018 at 12:28 PM, Scribe said:

Updated rendering on Varnadore proposal -- looks like the rooftop changed from 75/25 (75% height sign 25% height rooftop dining/bar) to 60/40

The sign seems shorter in the updated rendering in proportion to the people in the rooftop bar.

First the updated followed by the old further down:

image.png.8e50041f961a4a809fedbfe12b988434.png

Wasn't nice of them to shave off the tops of the tallest buildings. Though it makes Charlotte surprisingly denser looking without the tall buildings.

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but was wondering if any UPer's in the know could tell me if the Oakhurst neighborhood would be a safe bet for a new home purchase?  Most of the existing homes are typical of that area and look to be 60-70 years old. It doesn't appear there is much going on with the exception of a new townhouse development from Ryan Homes just down the road from the new Common Market and when driving thru the neighborhood it just seemed ...ok.

LOTS of older businesses on that stretch of Monroe Rd and closest grocery is a Food Lion on Wendover near the Home Depot. We are DINKS so CMS does not concern us.

Most strategists say  it's probably not the right time to buy since real estate is at an all time high and the housing market hasn't "technically" corrected itself, but I found a new townhome that would fit within my budget and am concerned that area won't grow for another 5-10 years or at least until the Silverline get started.

Driving thru/around the neighborhood,  it doesn't appear that there is much in the way of re-development such as what you would typically see happening in Seversville, Cherry, Belmont, Wesley Heights and the like, but I'm hoping someone on here with better connections than myself can advise if they see a future for Oakhurst and maybe give some indication that Costwald is on the move east.

^^^ I like Oakhurst and there has been some new homes built  but mainly renovations within the neighborhood   Those new townhomes are great and so is the price compared to closer in.  I am in the real estate business and there is a real shortage of homes townhomes under $300K or so and that is not going to change for a long  time if ever.  There is increasing land costs, increasing construction costs etc.  In terms of the neighborhood you have the Common Market there and we some cheaper real estate you might see even more independent shops popping up.  This area reminds me of FreeMore area just a little further from uptown however it is surrounded by better neighborhoods.  Overall I view it as up and coming and a good alternative to higher priced closer in neighborhoods.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ I like Oakhurst and there has been some new homes built  but mainly renovations within the neighborhood   Those new townhomes are great and so is the price compared to closer in.  I am in the real estate business and there is a real shortage of homes townhomes under $300K or so and that is not going to change for a long  time if ever.  There is increasing land costs, increasing construction costs etc.  In terms of the neighborhood you have the Common Market there and we some cheaper real estate you might see even more independent shops popping up.  This area reminds me of FreeMore area just a little further from uptown however it is surrounded by better neighborhoods.  Overall I view it as up and coming and a good alternative to higher priced closer in neighborhoods.  

In terms of raw future trajectory, Oakhurst is the next safest bet behind the already-expensive, heavily-developing inner ring neighborhoods.

The cool thing about Oakhurst is that you can see how Monroe Rd acts as its "Main Street" and the street near the railroad tracks was its "industrial" sector. I believe someone said the current townhome site used to be an old mill.

And just for future ref, here is the Oakhurst thread ;)
https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/118116-oakhurst-neighborhood/

• Like 2

My observation (sprinkled with a little experience) about up and coming neighborhoods and boom times is this:  If you are buying in an up and coming neighborhood at a perceived peak, be prepared to live in the neighborhood as-is for 8-10 years.  There will be a downturn, values will stagnate or drop and the big change will come as the market picks back up.  Oakhurst will be bangin' in 2025.  

• Like 1