Independence Corridor

underoak

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 1:15 PM, Scribe said:

This is part of the same phase of 74 widening that includes Sardis Rd North being bridged over 74 and connecting to NorthEast PKWY (new road)
Like the old Texas Roadhouse, that Mattress Firm store is a goner also!

project site https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-74-express-lanes/Pages/default.aspx

PDF of Aerial Map 1 https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-74-express-lanes/Documents/AerialMap1.pdf

PDF of Aerial Map 2 https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-74-express-lanes/Documents/AerialMap2.pdf

Will there eventually be no lights from uptown to 485? Is that the general goal?

On 4/21/2020 at 12:09 PM, tozmervo said:

Yes, but more broadly no lights on 74 from Wilmington to Murphy. (I see you, speed trap in Andrews.)

Too bad it can't be I-x74 (insert whatever number would be an extension of I74) from where it turns north at Rockingham. Could have just made an interstate with frontage roads rather than those weird turn lanes on the edges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TCLT said:

New ABC store going in at Mora Point at Independence and Zeus St. Construction started and metal structure is already up.

Mora Point ABC.png

Mora Point ABC Plans.png

I realize I don't know even 5% of what's going on, and what's necessary to understand it,  technically, in City of Charlotte planning, but this baffles me. If the Silver Line is still being considered for the south side of Independence at this point, the setback of that building seems needlessly close to the Independence right of way. I realize CATS can probably still manage to fit a dual track between the building and the roadway, but it would sure be a lot easier, in addition to allowing for a potential pedestrian path and bike trail along the track, if the building weren't so close. Maybe everyone's fine with tearing down this building in 10 years, in anticipation of an apartment building or mixed use structure, but that just seems needlessly wasteful.

When I was in Charlotte at Thanksgiving, my sister and I stopped there to get gas, and without my prompting--my sister is interested in design in general, but more domestic than urban, so I don't bring up city planning observations with her--she volunteered that she thinks this development is poorly conceived and underwhelming. I remember it because I have always thought the same thing.

The part farther south near Conference Drive seems better executed, but I cannot for the life of me understand why the buildings at the Idlewild and Monroe intersection are so far from the street and sidewalk. It's like a mid-range 1990s development, IMO. But again, maybe it's *all* temporary in anticipation of a future Conference Drive Lynx station. 

My hope is that CATS doesn't get persuaded to run all of the Silver Line north of Independence, for the paramount reason that the envisioned transformation of Monroe Road can't really happen without having readily available mass transit within a few blocks. For no other reason, the redevelopment of the Coliseum and Ovens complex, centered on a Lynx station, is sole justification for a south routing. But with two major TOD-UCs, at Coliseum and then Conference Drive, Monroe between them can absolutely flourish as a TOD-centric area, with that Oakhurst Commons functioning as an intermediate TOD-CC.  So, I'll just hope that wiser heads are prevailing and that I simply don't know the other 95%.

But Yay for an ABC store. Is there one at Cotswold?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ertley said:

I realize I don't know even 5% of what's going on, and what's necessary to understand it,  technically, in City of Charlotte planning, but this baffles me. If the Silver Line is still being considered for the south side of Independence at this point, the setback of that building seems needlessly close to the Independence right of way. I realize CATS can probably still manage to fit a dual track between the building and the roadway, but it would sure be a lot easier, in addition to allowing for a potential pedestrian path and bike trail along the track, if the building weren't so close. Maybe everyone's fine with tearing down this building in 10 years, in anticipation of an apartment building or mixed use structure, but that just seems needlessly wasteful.

When I was in Charlotte at Thanksgiving, my sister and I stopped there to get gas, and without my prompting--my sister is interested in design in general, but more domestic than urban, so I don't bring up city planning observations with her--she volunteered that she thinks this development is poorly conceived and underwhelming. I remember it because I have always thought the same thing.

The part farther south near Conference Drive seems better executed, but I cannot for the life of me understand why the buildings at the Idlewild and Monroe intersection are so far from the street and sidewalk. It's like a mid-range 1990s development, IMO. But again, maybe it's *all* temporary in anticipation of a future Conference Drive Lynx station. 

My hope is that CATS doesn't get persuaded to run all of the Silver Line north of Independence, for the paramount reason that the envisioned transformation of Monroe Road can't really happen without having readily available mass transit within a few blocks. For no other reason, the redevelopment of the Coliseum and Ovens complex, centered on a Lynx station, is sole justification for a south routing. But with two major TOD-UCs, at Coliseum and then Conference Drive, Monroe between them can absolutely flourish as a TOD-centric area, with that Oakhurst Commons functioning as an intermediate TOD-CC.  So, I'll just hope that wiser heads are prevailing and that I simply don't know the other 95%.

But Yay for an ABC store. Is there one at Cotswold?  

Yes there is one at Cotswold and another one on Independence just west of 51. It is huge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took Independence from 277 to exit 245B earlier this morning.  Litter strewn along much of the route, with a build-up of trash at the exit ramp.  It just makes that part of Charlotte look so disgusting.  Can anything be done?  Is this inadvertent waste, or is the city really full of so many miscreants?

Edited by RANYC
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...