Independence Corridor

underoak

12 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

Inbound morning commuters their favorite spots for stores. Right in right out. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Third Strike said:

There’s now a permit in Accela for a new Bojangles at 3809 Independence Blvd, which is also on the same block as the new Starbucks. Another two permits are up for new retail near Westchester Blvd, where the old fast food restaurants are. 

I’m happy development is finally happening in this area after almost twenty years of decline, but it sucks that none of this development is TOD. 

I believe the light rail is planned to run on the opposite side of Independence from this Bojangles parcel behind the businesses like WalMart and car dealerships. Unfortunately I suspect Independence will act as a major wall impacting walkability for TOD for parcels on the east side of the expressway. The city would need to build numerous pedestrian bridges to get people to the other side as there are limited road crossings.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I believe the light rail is planned to run on the opposite side of Independence from this Bojangles parcel behind the businesses like WalMart and car dealerships. Unfortunately I suspect Independence will act as a major wall impacting walkability for TOD for parcels on the east side of the expressway. The city would need to build numerous pedestrian bridges to get people to the other side as there are limited road crossings.

I would be surprised if they didn’t have each station bridge the road in some way.

23 hours ago, Third Strike said:

There’s now a permit in Accela for a new Bojangles at 3809 Independence Blvd, which is also on the same block as the new Starbucks. Another two permits are up for new retail near Westchester Blvd, where the old fast food restaurants are. 

https://aca-prod.accela.com/CHARLOTTE/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=20LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00227&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE

https://aca-prod.accela.com/CHARLOTTE/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=19LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00167&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE

https://aca-prod.accela.com/CHARLOTTE/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=21LDC&capID2=00000&capID3=00106&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE&IsToShowInspection=

I’m happy development is finally happening in this area after almost twenty years of decline, but it sucks that none of this development is TOD. 

Anyone know how big the standalone signage for these new fast food establishments will be?

13 minutes ago, TCLT said:

Ervin building demo is moving along. The smaller building next to it is gone. Most of the window glass on the tower is gone and the openings closed up with plastic so I guess work is progressing inside.

That smaller building (if we're talking about the blue and red one with the rounded corner) was a Camelot Records when I moved here in the mid-90s.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

That smaller building (if we're talking about the blue and red one with the rounded corner) was a Camelot Records when I moved here in the mid-90s.  

Camelot Records on Independence!  Bringing back fond memories of the '80s!  An even fonder memory is Grady's on Albemarle Road (best nachos ever!), but I digress.  I'm glad to see activity going on along this corridor years ahead of the Silver Line, especially if it improves the appearance of these buildings and of Independence Blvd.,  which I remember as an uninspired suburban wasteland.  And anything happening with that gold tower?  I used  to think it was both hideous and charming at the same time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, abttown said:

^My company performed some work in the Independence Tower a couple years ago and I remember the building manager telling me those windows are gold plated and are made in Italy.  Apparently during hurricane Hugo many of the windows were blown out and they had to wait a long time for a new shipment from overseas.

I can see why they went to the effort of getting gold plated windows, that aesthetic is really paying off /s

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Demo continues to progress on this building. Photo isn’t the best but gives a good idea of where it is at now. Looks like the interior is more or less fully gutted. The graffiti (murals?) are starting to come down. Can’t see in this photo but the lobby exterior walls are all gone too.

f324a533c4206afc3f7624bd9f747e89.jpg

Yep, just a little more than the skeleton remains.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 8:56 AM, Third Strike said:

Bo Time is coming next to the Ervin Building. 

Pic by @andrewwinke on Instagram. 

4ABC5231-481F-45F5-B190-F6395BD01790.jpeg

The new Bojangles has been constructed! It seems like it didn't take very long, but it also seems to be a smaller store than the other one on Independence. They'll do well in the mornings with people heading into town stopping to grab a biscuit or a cup of coffee. The OLD one at Idlewild and Independence was always busy. I'm a little bit concerned about the number of accidents it will cause with people crossing two lanes to get to the little side street turn-off. It's very reminiscent of Exit 3A.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lit said:

The new Bojangles has been constructed! It seems like it didn't take very long, but it also seems to be a smaller store than the other one on Independence. They'll do well in the mornings with people heading into town stopping to grab a biscuit or a cup of coffee. The OLD one at Idlewild and Independence was always busy. I'm a little bit concerned about the number of accidents it will cause with people crossing two lanes to get to the little side street turn-off. It's very reminiscent of Exit 3A.

I believe it is a drive-thru only location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AP3 said:

I believe it is a drive-thru only location.

That's a boner-killer. I had a group of car-guy friends that met up at least once a week. We'd often sit in the front of the old Bojangles at Idlewild and Independence just so we could watch cars drive by. People test-driving Mustangs always put on a good show. The crappy replacement Bojangles doesn't even face the highway and I'm pretty sure you couldn't even see the road from where this new Bojangles is situated (if they had a dining room).