Independence Corridor

underoak

So weird. Didn't they originally propose a huge video billboard atop the Ervin building? I seem to remember that getting shot down. This developer must have a thing for ad revenue. 

With the restaurant that close to the highway I’m sure they’ll get more money from ads than from the lease. That patio and balcony dining area won’t exactly be charming.

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

How is it making steps to look like Toyko haha? All I see are more car washes springing up, Walmart, gas stations, car dealerships, et... It looks like an overgrown Shelby or Hickory versus a baby Tokyo.

True, those kind of establishments aren't helping:tw_dissapointed: But I would say LEDs billboards are

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 7:52 PM, TCLT said:

Saw a piece of heavy equipment in the grass lot behind the Aldi at Idlewild and Monroe. Anyone have any idea if something is imminent here?

Looks like there's a rezoning petition open for this parcel, 22-050, to permit residential units. Up to 270 multifamily or 80 single family attached (townhouses?). 

20220830_212712224_iOS.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, lit said:

Tragic.  I'm all for protected bike lanes, and design elements like  pavers, raised pedestrian crosswalks, and other traffic-calming elements to force drivers to slow down; however, just in the past week I've seen so many examples of Russian roulette pedestrianism.  Last week, in the dark of evening, this woman was heading south in the northbound right lane of N. Tryon pushing a shopping cart.  Drivers were slamming on brakes as she would come into their vision only once their front lights were right on her.  

That's just one example but I've seen about 5 such examples in recent weeks.

On the other hand, I've seen a number of near-misses at Uptown cross-walks, where cars plan to make a right turn at red and run right into the crosswalk just as a pedestrian is approaching.  I'd say use signage stopping right turns on red but, of course, those will be ignored.  It's almost as though we need sensors to detect folks in the cross-walk to let those in a right lane know that the cross-walk is occupied because they can't often see that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Tragically another example of poor planning by the NCDOT.  I never understood why they didn't make the upgrades to Independence fully controlled access.  As the road is expanded the traffic flow is constantly 10 to 15 mph over the posted 50 mph signs.  I dread pulling on to Independence from the Walmart and having to gun it just to get up to speed in order to exit on to Albemarle Rd.    

• Like 4

6 hours ago, #1Son said:

Tragically another example of poor planning by the NCDOT.  I never understood why they didn't make the upgrades to Independence fully controlled access.  As the road is expanded the traffic flow is constantly 10 to 15 mph over the posted 50 mph signs.  I dread pulling on to Independence from the Walmart and having to gun it just to get up to speed in order to exit on to Albemarle Rd.    

I know it's a pain-in-the-a$$, but if you fear for your safety it might be better to go a different route. Utilize the Pierson exit to get to Sharon Amity either by cutting through the neighborhood or getting on Independence, or use the side-road that goes behind the 7-11 to "backtrack" and enter the highway earlier so you have a little more time/space to cross-over the 4 lanes to take the Albemarle exit. I guess it depends on where you're trying to go.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

• 3 months later...
58 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

This is hilarious. Is it going to be a digital billboard?

Unclear. The latest brochure has new renderings. I feel like it has to be digital since there's no catwalks for people to manually put up new signs, but who knows. Were you looking forward to dining under a neon glow?

image.thumb.png.c3b04fa782403a0e2bf43767c996f45b.png

image.png.e731c0d39b10f72ded945da2753a4077.png

Also, whoever did this is hilarious.

image.png.9f0ed987b0c59cb2f420c2818b70338c.png

Edited by TCLT
  • Haha 3