Independence Corridor

underoak

The city of Charlotte has released a better map of the current road and land projects proposed for this corridor:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/charlottefuture/CIP/Documents/Land Acquisition Project List.pdf

There is also a survey available that will help the city determine what projects they should prioritize first:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/T5PLC23

For me, a streetscape of Monroe Road was top of the list, along with the frontage roads along 74. I also voted on the land acquisition of the highrise across from Walmart, with hopes of it either being demolished or refurbished for new uses. 

• 3 weeks later...

A "Monroe Road Grocery Store" popped up in Accela the other day. This is located on a parcel near the Monroe Road/North Sardis junction near the Galleria:

Link

Only info available is that Levine Properties are the owners of this parcel, and that the store will be 29k square feet. There's already a Harris Teeter, Food Lion, and Walmart in that area. It might be a Publix or Fresh Market, or something else.

Edit: Ah, looks like the site was rezoned back in May.

Link

Edited by Third Strike
Found new info

Has international grocer Lidl found its first Charlotte location?

A project filing with the city Thursday shows a grocery store is looking to locate at Orchard Lake Drive and Monroe Road.

“It’s still very early, but it will be a new grocery store to the market,” says Ryan Berger, construction manager for GRDI LLC.

Lidl is not named in the filing, but Berger’s email address on the paperwork includes Lidl’s web domain.

When asked to confirm the grocer is Lidl, he declined to comment but said “that would be a good assumption.” A formal announcement will be made in the next few months, Berger adds.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/08/06/has-international-grocer-lidl-found-its-first.html

• 3 weeks later...

They're finally building a replacement McDonald's for the one that was torn down at the corner of Idlewild and Independence. It's on the other side of the lot, facing Monroe Rd near the Fire Station. Hopefully it will be better than the replacement Bojangles.

Bojangles' Coliseum renovations are coming along nicely.  It's amazing how much of a difference a fresh coat of paint and new seats make.  The home team entry through a new club/sports bar is a cool feature too.  I will probably attend fewer Checkers games at the Chicken Box than I did at the Cable Box because I can walk to the latter, but season ticket sales are up, and hopefully more weekend games will boost attendance numbers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2015/08/charlotte-checkers-eager-to-finish-arena.html

Doesn't this place really just need to turn it's back on Independence and try and tie more into Oakhurst behind it.  I know it's technically connected through the Wal Mart connection, but they really should go full bore on making that connection and just forget the Independence connection.  It's sad to say, but it's reality.  Independence is a freeway, eventually being an interstate.  It's dead to uses like this.

• Like 2

Doesn't this place really just need to turn it's back on Independence and try and tie more into Oakhurst behind it.  I know it's technically connected through the Wal Mart connection, but they really should go full bore on making that connection and just forget the Independence connection.  It's sad to say, but it's reality.  Independence is a freeway, eventually being an interstate.  It's dead to uses like this.

I don't think there should be any RIRO access points on Independence.  Isn't that the point of a freeway?  I always thought the entrance to Wal-Mart should have been off an exit (or at least a very long and well-marked dedicated turn lane).  These RIRO access points essentially eliminate a travel lane on Independence.  And I can't tell you how many near wrecks I've witnessed caused by people trying to cut across multiple lanes of traffic to get from the Wal-Mart access point on Independence over to the left exit to Albemarle Road.

• Like 1

The Independence Expressway project is one of the most poorly executed road projects I've ever seen in modern times. There should have been frontage roads from the beginning, and the road should have limited all access to businesses along the expressway. Not only is it dangerous, but it has turned an entire stretch of businesses into a corridor of blight.

• Like 2

Website for "M Station", the apartment component for Meridian Place, is live:

http://www.mstationapts.com

Here's another rendering from Monroe Road:

ph1051_w975_h478.jpg

I'm also hearing that they are looking for a supermarket to anchor their development. There have been attempts to reach out to Trader Joe's, but they declined.

Oh hi surface parking lot. I see you hiding behind that sidewalk, preventing pedestrians from easy access to the stores located behind you.

So, I (admittedly) don't want to scan this thread to see if it was mentioned, but:

At the Silver Line meetings, one of the kiosks was about input on what street connections should be made in the neighborhoods adjacent to Independence, between Central Nd Monroe Rd. 

As a rwsult, I've recently noticed there's a ton of really interesting lookinghousing stock in the residential areas bordering both arterials. I'm wondering how these 'hoods will fare once they "formally" turn their back on Indy through getting more connections as the freeway is converted

That'll be nice. Minimal, but very nice. That stretch of oakhurst has potential, but commerically it is just as bad as many other areas. Which is a shame because the housing stock in the area is competitive with the best old urban neighborhoods

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If Common Market settles there, they will transform that neighborhood.

Edited by SgtCampsalot