Proposed: Shockoe Center

wrldcoupe4

New website is up for the proposed Shockoe Center project, a $318 million mixed use project in Shockoe Bottom which would provide a new baseball ballpark.

http://shockoecenter.com/default.aspx

Some images from the site:

Shockoe-Street-P0.gif

Shockoe-Shop-P2.gif

Ballpark-Rendering2.gif

MainStreet-Station-Aerial.gif

Phase I

Phase I consists of approximately $160 million of private investment, which includes $60 million for the ballpark.

* 192,400 SF - Retail for entertainment,

special events and farmers' market expansion

* 98,000 SF - Office building

* 160 - Hotel rooms to overlook the ballpark

* 109 - Apartments to overlook the ballpark

* 15 - Loft condos to overlook the ballpark

* 280 - Parking spaces

* 540 - Parking deck spaces

* 1 - Ballpark total capacity = 8,500

Phase II

Phase II consists of the two blocks farther north of Broad Street along the west side of Oliver Hill Way between Marshall and Venable Streets. This is an expansion of the original vision to include the entire parcel of private property in that area under common ownership (Loving's). It includes 220 apartments with 10,000 SF of convenience retail on the first level and a parking deck with approximately 950 spaces.

Phase III

This is the major commercial phase of the project between the railroad tracks and I-95. Shockoe Center proposes to build a high-quality office tower, a 185-room hotel and a parking deck to serve them at a cost of approximately $90.5 million. The timing of this phase will be driven by the demand for the office space.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this too. It does really remind me of a smaller scale of The Epicentre in Charlotte NC. I know this might sound funny but why not a Bowling Alley in Shockoe Bottom. I would personally love to see a bowling alley somewhere downtown in a urban form with no surface lot attached to it. Someone told me Charlotte has an Urban Bowling Alley but I haven't been able to find it online and I think something like that would work well here. It gives the VCU crowd and even city residents some more ideas for a way to have fun. If one doesnt go within this maybe one at Rocketts Landing would work well. I would also like to see a big bookstore downtown either a Barnes and noble or a Borders would work well I think.

I really like this too. It does really remind me of a smaller scale of The Epicentre in Charlotte NC. I know this might sound funny but why not a Bowling Alley in Shockoe Bottom. I would personally love to see a bowling alley somewhere downtown in a urban form with no surface lot attached to it. Someone told me Charlotte has an Urban Bowling Alley but I haven't been able to find it online and I think something like that would work well here. It gives the VCU crowd and even city residents some more ideas for a way to have fun. If one doesnt go within this maybe one at Rocketts Landing would work well. I would also like to see a big bookstore downtown either a Barnes and noble or a Borders would work well I think.

Yea, but baseball stadiums serve just one purpose... baseball. The place wouldn't be utilized 6 months out of the year. An arena, with the right management company, would be able to host a vast array of events year-round. I'm not saying the baseball stadium is a bad thing, b/c I'd support it, but "if" their was a choice, I'd rather have a new arena. The coliseum has been outdated for years and loses out to JPJ, Verizon and even Hampton more times than not.

Remember dBull, this is going to be a minor league park (AA or lower) and off-season it will be used for concerts, graduations, weddings...you name it. Unlike the majors, The Eastern League isn't too concerned about turf condition. Not only that, the depressed playing field will serve as a sort of retaining pool during floods if I've read the specs properly. (Ice skating, anyone? :) )

There was talk during Wilder's administration of a new arena to replace The Coliseum in the other Highwoods project near The Diamond.

I like the idea of a bowling alley, too.

• 1 month later...

I've been following this Richmond project some since we're in the same boat (with exception to not having a team) down here in Charlotte... Ballparkdigest.com has some interesting takes on the whole thing. Seems like the developers are now asking the city of Richmond to provide some support via city backed bonds to reduce the overall cost of the loan. Wasn't this project initially pitched to not involve taxpayer risk? I know in this economy that's a tough sell when you have higher priority things like schools, roads, etc. Those are always an issue in any economy but seem to be more magnified now since teachers and construction workers are losing jobs all over the country. Personally, I like the development and am a fan of these types of developments in a city as opposed to a location off the beaten path. But I think the developers may need to re-think how this thing would be financed and put their money where their mouth is.

I think that the old "Hey brother, let me hold a dollar" game seems to be in play here. I mean, the city was promised that the only concessions would be a portion of the sales tax from the area, certain tax deferrments and possibly some right-of-way concessions, but no financial burden. Now, the proposal is out there for the city to back certain bonds. That took the wind out of many's sails.

I do hope that the architectural style of this stuff is somewhat closer to the Shockoe Bottom style though. The renderings do have a Short Pump look and that is unfortunate. What is with that style right now? I see it popping up everywhere.

As far as the Defenders go, will they keep their name or will it change?

I hope it stays. I love there logo and there Jersey's. Richmond will probably change the name and jersey's and logo and make it look very unattractive. A teams logo and jersey's you can use as an example of looking good in the minors is the Bowie Baysox and the Akron Aeros.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope it stays. I love there logo and there Jersey's. Richmond will probably change the name and jersey's and logo and make it look very unattractive. A teams logo and jersey's you can use as an example of looking good in the minors is the Bowie Baysox and the Akron Aeros.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived