Proposed: Shockoe Center

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm officially over having any sports in Richmond. I don't care if we get a new baseball team, I don't even care if we ever see the Renegades again or not. We have the river, and to me that's better than any sports team. Sure, I was an advocate for the Shockoe Ballpark, and yeah seeing it end like this sucks but it's something we're used to seeing happen in Richmond. I bet a quarter even if we weren't in harsh economic times, the plans STILL wouldn't have gone through. I'm content with no ballpark, period.

I completely agree. If the 'City of the Future' plan doesn't come into some sort of fruition within the next few years all that we've been spoon fed by City Council, Jones and Wilder would have been worthless crap of what could have been. I just hope the MSS shed doesn't fall to the bus transfer center now that plans for Shockoe Center have been scrapped.

Massive parking lot planned to replace Shockoe Center

Tobacco Avenue breaks the news.

Richmond Mayor Dwight Jones praised the parking lot idea as “a huge step forward” to ensure that the downtown area does not take any huge steps forward.

“I know that myself and many other city leaders were concerned that we might actually land a project that would help revitalize downtown,” the mayor said in a statement. “Thankfully, with the ballpark developers having left Richmond and this parking lot proposal on the table, we can guarantee that most of Shockoe Bottom will remain a run-down, washed-up crap-hole for years to come.”

Archived