Design Center Tower

Andyc545

I like the design of the hotel and apartment complex, but I too am not a fan of the hotel being brick. It actually looks really cool in white in the first few renderings shown, maybe stucco or some other light colored material would suit this design better.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nice to see a continuation of mid and high-rise residential despite the economy. I'd suspected it would be a few years before any new projects were announced, though we have no time frame for this project, I guess we all weren't thinking that 'for rent' would be the way the trend continued. It's also great, for me, to see this, the Harris Development project at Simpson's Lighting site, spread the high-rise option to the areas just outside the loop. The Southend corridor is really growing into itself quite well. I know a lot of business owners in the district, and the couple thousand residents that are on the way with the newly finished Aston and the other apartment buildings that will be finished soon will really enliven the area beyond what it already is. Adding this project just makes it all the better.

Have they put any type of time line out there for this?

I think they were optimistically shooting to begin the apartment tower by year's end, but I honestly can't imagine how they are going to get financing. I believe the hotel was planned as a later addition.

At this point, I would consider both this and Simpson lighting to be on-hold, though certainly neither dead.

________________________________________________________________________________

I meant to add these renderings earlier as well.

This would replace the Kale-Bindex industrial building at the corner of Hawkins and Doggett (across Hawkins from the backside of the Design Center)

post-1289-1239661293_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1239661306_thumb.jpg

9 story office building with ground floor retail (total building size ~100k sq. ft.). LEED certified. It would be subject to the 120' cap for the area, so probably in the 110'-120' range.

post-1289-1239661293_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1239661306_thumb.jpg

I really like the hotel! I love the 1950s look, its something that charlotte does not have a lot of. I think a better rendering would suit it much better! The entire complex is a step in the right direction for me. Who knows maybe there'll be a southend skyline one day!

Archived