New apartments planned for historic Century Furniture Factory

GRDadof3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

I saw a bunch of trees jammed in the dumpster today. Looked like they came out of the building through the first or second story?! :)

Joe

There's a little courtyard in the center of the building where the old wood kilns were that had been completely taken over by nature. The plan is to create a little park back in there similar to the Boardwalk. I had a picture of it, not sure if I still do.

Here it is. Wish it were clearer:

8741336618_193a0cd64c.jpg

Here it is.

I meant of the kiln area, but that works too. Thanks.

They talked about keeping many of the historical elements of the courtyard, so I'm guessing the 6 black rectangles on the drawing are the 6 chimneys from the shed (?)  For reference, my picture is looking South and the drawing has North up.

Yeah, new buildings are great, but not when you have to tear down an existing one to build it--in my opinion this is the best kind of development. Yay sustainability! Plus, I think that they can really do a lot with that building--it has potential. When you are in a building that used to be something else, it can have a really unique and attractive character. (Where I used to live, they converted the old city jail into a restaurant and it was really popular).

Definitely the best kind of development imo is re-development, its modern with a nod to the past, especially in this neighborhood, I would rather NOT see new buildings go up. 

And as far as outside of downtown, I don't know about high-rises but there could definitely be more MID-rises to create more density especially in places like 28th and 131, Alpine, plainfield and 96, Wyoming, Kentwood and by the airport. Slightly larger cities like Indy and Denver seem to have them all over the metro areas 

• 1 month later...

Is it too later to come up with a more original name for this project?  Baker Lofts is already the name of the mixed use development of the old Baker factory in Holland.  I guess if and when someone buys the old Baker plant at Monroe and Ann, they can call that one Baker Lofts too.   

Archived