North Carolina trivia and facts

cityboi

NC TRIVIA

- Did you that Randolph and Rockingham County use to be part of Guilford County?

- Did you know the original location of Wake Forest University use to be in the town of Wake Forest in the Triangle?

- Did you know the original location of Duke University was in Trinity in Randolph County? Duke University was founded there in 1838 and was moved to Durham in 1892.

- Did you know that the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is the oldest state university in the United States?

- Did you know the first miniature golf course built in the country was in Pinehurst, NC?

- Did you know that Babe Ruth hit his first home run in Fayetteville on March 7, 1914

- Did you know that Pepsi was invented and first served in New Bern in 1898

- Did you know for a brief period beginning April 16, 1865, the capital of North Carolina was maintained in Greensboro

- Did you know that Greensboro was once the capital of the Confederate States of America?

- Did you know that North Carolina has the largest state-maintained highway system in the United States. The state's highway system currently has 77,400 miles of roads.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be wrong. But, I do not recall ever hearing, or reading that the NC State Capitol was ever in Greensboro. The current Capitol building was completed in 1840. All of the state government stayed in that building until 1888 when the Supreme Court and State Library moved into a different building. Then in 1963 the General Assembly moved into the State Legislative Building.

I could be wrong. But, I do not recall ever hearing, or reading that the NC State Capitol was ever in Greensboro. The current Capitol building was completed in 1840. All of the state government stayed in that building until 1888 when the Supreme Court and State Library moved into a different building. Then in 1963 the General Assembly moved into the State Legislative Building.

-All but 2 of the 6000 ft peaks in the Appalachian Mountains are entirely within or shared by North Carolina. Mt LeConte in Tennessee and Mt Washington New Hampshire are the exceptions.

-Jockey's Ridge is the tallest dune system in the eastern US.

-NC has the second highest percentage of federally owned land in the eastern US (after New Hampshire).

-All but 2 of the 6000 ft peaks in the Appalachian Mountains are entirely within or shared by North Carolina. Mt LeConte in Tennessee and Mt Washington New Hampshire are the exceptions.

-Jockey's Ridge is the tallest dune system in the eastern US.

-NC has the second highest percentage of federally owned land in the eastern US (after New Hampshire).

NC TRIVIA

- Did you know the original location of Duke University was in Trinity in Randolph County? Duke University was founded there in 1838 and was moved to Durham in 1892.

- Did you know that the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is the oldest state university in the United States?

There is a steam locomotive buried under the intersection of 186 & 301. See this map location. The locomotive dates to the 1870s.

It was buried in 1933 by the NCDOT. Apparently they were charged to build this highway, found the locomotive in the way, got a court order so they could move it, found they couldn't move it easily, so they dug a hole in the ROW and pushed the locomotive in. It was rediscovered around 1995 and there was a plan to excavate it for preservation purposes. I don't think the $49,000 was raised to do this so I suspect this locomotive is still down there.

The good news is that if they had moved it, there would be a very good chance it would have been scrapped. When the day comes where they can get it out, it will make a nice museum piece for the state. Maybe the locomotive looks like this example. Once recovered the buried locomotive would be the oldest in the state.

33ldsbc.jpg

Archived