Shooting of Derek Copp

GVSU shooting controversy   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should Deputy Ryan Huizenga be criminally charged?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
  2. 2. Should marijuana be legalized?

• Yes. The war on drugs is putting our citizens in danger.
    • No. The war on drugs needs to continue in order to keep our communities safe.

Well I can't keep quiet about this any longer (my comments on Mlive.com seem to be pointless). This is a hot-button issue in West Michigan right now and I think it deserves a thread here in the coffee house (I'm surprised no one's brought it up already).

Here the Press' full coverage of the events. No shortage of information on that page.

As someone who fully condemns America's silly "war on drugs," I can't believe there isn't more local outrage about this incident. Sure, students are making their voices heard, but I am hoping for more local support for Derek Copp.

WEMET needs to be disbanded. They put themselves AND all the students in this apartment building in danger. Copp wasn't hurting anyone, yet he was shot in the chest.

I'm curious to see how people in this forum stand.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am furious that the officer is not being brought up on more serious charges. He should be up for attempted murder (as well as be fired from the police force). More people die from alcohol in one day than have died from marijuana in all of history!

Regardless of how people stand on this issue, the answers to your poll questions are both already decided: the officer is being charged with a crime, and marijuana is already legal in Michigan. :dontknow:

I think the officer made an error of procedure, and should be punished for making that mistake. But the guy was selling drugs out of his apartment (small dealer), so he's not exactly an innocent pot smoking granny with glaucoma.

The war on drugs is a farce! The CIA brings the drugs in. It is still illegal to sell marijuana in Michigan. It is legal to grow a small amount with a permit but it is still against Federal law to grow and/or use marijuana. I disagree with using drugs but laws that make morality a crime are a farce. They are all about money, control, soft kill eugenics for population control, dumbing people down and black mailing.

The officer should be charged with negligent homicide. People need to be held accountable for their decisions. The officer decided to have his finger on the trigger.

~John

So therefore we should accept the status quo and not question government policies with which we may disagree? That's not how I was raised.

1. So the cop is being charged- but he hasn't been found guilty of anything in a court of law yet. It's not a closed topic. Even when a verdict is reached, it will still be debated for who knows how long.

2. I'm not talking about medical marijuana. I thought that was obvious, given the context in which the issue is being discussed here.

They're both very controversial issues which, in my opinion, deserve a thread. People have differing views, and I imagine each side will be represented here. Isn't that what internet discussion forums are for? :dontknow:

I never said the topic was closed, nor did I say you can't have your opinion on the matter.

Again,

) Should Officer Huizenga be charged with a crime? He is being charged with a crime. Are you asking if the charges should be dropped?

) Should marijuana be legalized? It is legal. Are you asking: "Should dealing marijuana to college students be legalized." That is what is at issue here.

I'd be happy to make the corrections for you....

I have to throw into this that there is no evidence that Derek was dealing drugs out of his apartment. A small amount of marijuana was found there, but certainly not enough to prove he was dealing. So let's not convict him on that without proof.

That would be me, for one. What would you like to know? It's not like the officer was just some random dude walking down the street and decided to shoot someone. He was acting as an agent of the county serving a search warrant/arrest warrant for drug dealing. Police officers carry guns. Sometimes they use them. It's not quite as black and white as some would see it.

I think the opposition to the "War on Drugs" might be a valid one in some respects, as to its effectiveness. But this is more of a police officer using the wrong protocol and procedures. Nothing else.

Officers are well trained in doing surprise drug busts. He knew better than to have his finger on the trigger. I had a "knee jerk" reaction when he saw Copp raising his hand to block the blinding light being shined in his eyes. If the officer had not had his finger on the trigger he very well may have had enough time to see what Copp was doing. He made an almost fatal mistake that was negligent as he knew that he should not have had his finger on the trigger. Oops I just realized that I had said he should be charged with negligent homicide. Um that would be more like negligent use of a firearm causing great bodily harm. A man was wrongfully shot by a well trained officer. Nothing less. I do agree that it was a mistake but a big one and the officer needs to be held accountable. Having been a small arms instructor in the U.S. Air Force I understand the importance of not having your finger on the trigger unless you are about to fire the weapon. Understanding reflex timing very well I believe that the officer would not have fired the weapon if he had not had his finger on the trigger as he entered the room.

Drugs are a part of this topic. If it wasn't for the so called war on drugs, this would not even be up for debate. Should we blame the war on drugs or the officer for this "mistake"? How about BOTH! There should NOT be a war on drugs and officers should not have their finger on the trigger during an intense raid.

~John

Okay how about busting the hot dog vender for selling products that are unhealthy?

Officers aren't trained enough, so the have the right to shoot an unarmed person by mistake? It is totally clear that the officer was negligent.

The war on drugs is a farce!

I am proud to be considered a terrorist to the government. The constitution is the worst enemy to a rogue government and I stand by OUR CONSTITUTION! I don't know how a half sane person can not know that we have a rogue government.

Maybe we should ask our mayor about this? :rofl: We should arrest everybody who allows our water to be poisoned.

~John

Okay how about busting the hot dog vender for selling products that are unhealthy?

Officers aren't trained enough, so the have the right to shoot an unarmed person by mistake? It is totally clear that the officer was negligent.

The war on drugs is a farce!

I am proud to be considered a terrorist to the government. The constitution is the worst enemy to a rogue government and I stand by OUR CONSTITUTION! I don't know how a half sane person can not know that we have a rogue government.

Maybe we should ask our mayor about this? :rofl: We should arrest everybody who allows our water to be poisoned.

~John

I refuse to convict people through the court of public opinion.

We have a judicial system for a reason. If it works, that's great.

If it fails, then change the judicial system.

There is no way a bunch of professionals/students/whatevers know the full story just by watching the news and reading about it on forums. At best we are fully aware of the social unrest regarding the situation with Cobb's shooting. At worst, we will find out later that this was fully justified (I doubt it... but again, there's a court-system, the office is being charged... I'm willing to give our great country's systems a chance to serve justic).

it still doesnt change the fact that the kid was dealing, and not completely innocent. the cop saw his hands go up to his shield his eyes from a flashlight. i suppose in some way that could be confused for someone pulling a gun.

if you want to smoke down, go for it. but dont act likea complete victim when the law comes down on you. the kid put himself in this situation by choosing to engage in illegal activities. hes not as innocent as everyone thinks he is. it stinks he got shot, but thems the break.

no matter what your opinion on drugs is, it is illegal for recreational use and the police officer was enforcing a law. whether he agrees or disagrees with it, thats what it is.

The cop should probably be charged the same as if me or you accidentally fired a weapon with result of an injury, since this is what I assume pretty much happened. Is jail going to help him, probably not. More likely he should do community service on gun safety to police officers and citizens. We will see what the judge decides.

The cop should probably be charged the same as if me or you accidentally fired a weapon with result of an injury, since this is what I assume pretty much happened. Is jail going to help him, probably not. More likely he should do community service on gun safety to police officers and citizens. We will see what the judge decides.

Archived