Secchia trying to bring NCAA basketball regionals to Grand Rapids in 2011

GRDadof3

Secchia is lobbying hard to bring the NCAA Basketball Tournament Regionals to Grand Rapids in 2011. Right now, it sounds like the VAA is about 150 seats shy of the 12,000 minimum. Hmmm, seems like that could be remedied with some floor seaing.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/i...g_to_bring.html

A Division 1 school has to be the "host" of the regional tournament, though hosting does not mean providing the venue at their campus.

In 2010, the regionals will be held at:

Carrier Dome - Syracuse NY

Energy Solutions Arena - Salt Lake City

Edward Jones Dome - St. Louis

Reliant Stadium - Houston

Anyone know what the TV ratings were for the regional tournaments this year? That seems like a lot of exposure for GR.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Secchia is lobbying hard to bring the NCAA Basketball Tournament Regionals to Grand Rapids in 2011. Right now, it sounds like the VAA is about 150 seats shy of the 12,000 minimum. Hmmm, seems like that could be remedied with some floor seaing.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/i...g_to_bring.html

A Division 1 school has to be the "host" of the regional tournament, though hosting does not mean providing the venue at their campus.

In 2010, the regionals will be held at:

Carrier Dome - Syracuse NY

Energy Solutions Arena - Salt Lake City

Edward Jones Dome - St. Louis

Reliant Stadium - Houston

Anyone know what the TV ratings were for the regional tournaments this year? That seems like a lot of exposure for GR.

This would no doubt bring a lot of national exposure to the area for at least for one weekend. The Michigan-Clemson regional in Kansas City a few weeks ago earned a 6.1 rating. That was for TV. Millions more tuned into the regional games online which are available on-demand for free. In addition to having several big-time college teams in town, you also have a large number of fans plus a pretty large national media presence.

not trying to be a jerk... but..

WILL

NOT

HAPPEN

many of the regionals in the past happen at football stadiums that are domed over, or large NBA arenas. the palace, at over 22,000 seats, would be considered a small venue for the regionals. yes, the VAA could probably get over the minimum number, but larger arenas will bid, and get them. this pipe dream should be layed to rest quickly.

He is not trying to bring the regionals (Sweet 16 and Elite 8). It is the first and second rounds that GR would be in play for. Small arenas in smaller cities already have hosted them multiple times. Boise's Taco Bell Arena and Spokane's Spokane Arena (cap. 12,000). It is absolutely not out of the question that GR could be a first and second round host site.

WILL

NOT

HAPPEN

many of the regionals in the past happen at football stadiums that are domed over, or large NBA arenas. the palace, at over 22,000 seats, would be considered a small venue for the regionals. yes, the VAA could probably get over the minimum number, but larger arenas will bid, and get them. this pipe dream should be layed to rest quickly.

Not trying to be a jerk... but...

They played a regional this year at Taco Bell Arena in Boise, ID. Seating capacity, 12,380. They have held a regional at this venue 7 other times, including 2005 and 2001.

http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle.db...p;ATCLID=530882

Now, this place probably has a leg up, because they have a history of having 1st weekend games there. But, it's not like they ONLY hold 1st and 2nd round games in giant dome stadiums or super large arenas.

VAA would certainly win on looks though. Taco Bell Arena is U-G-L-Y!

EDIT: Additionally, one of the 2010 opening regionals will be played in Spokane, WA at an arena with a capacity of...Basketball: 12,210!

http://www.spokanearena.com/generalinfo.php

Now, I'm not saying we can land this thing when there are certainly more competing venues nearby than they have near Spokane or Boise, but, to say that we won't get one ONLY because of seating capacity is not necessarily true.

WILL

NOT

HAPPEN

The early regional games (first 2 rounds) are held in mid-size basketball arenas, not 20k+ arenas and they're never held in football arenas (the domed stadiums - Ford Field, Lucas Oil Field, etc - come into play starting with the Sweet 16, then Elite 8, Final Four, then the Championship game). The Palace would be considered a large venue for an early regional game. The Sprint Center in Kansas City where one of the regionals was held this past year is 18,000 capacity. Yes, larger than Van Andel but consider that Dayton has also hosted regional games and the capacity there is 13,000.

The NCAA is looking for smaller and medium sized arenas for these games because they often do not sell out, especially in large markets that are capable of hosting later round games. The smaller arena here would be an almost guaranteed sellout for all games, something the NCAA would look highly upon. The biggest issue isn't the size of Van Andel but the lack of hotel rooms within walking distance of the arena.

^I think that newspaper article is mistaken... Grand Rapids is probably trying to lure the 1st and 2nd rounds (opening rounds) of the NCAA. I don't know the exact history offhand, but it's probably been quite some time since a Regional (Sweet 16 and Elite 8) round has been held at a venue less than 16k or 17k capacity. I can't imagine the NCAA putting a Regional in a venue of about 12k. That's too much lost $$ for them when they could go to Detroit or Chicago and even use one of their arenas for +20k if they didn't use the football stadium. Maybe if Van Andel got that that upgrade to add another 4k-5k seats they could pull it off... In all honesty I thought that arena was bigger than the < 12k you guys stated.

EDIT: just noticed wyoming_mi posted a simliar thing.

2010 First and Second rounds are being held here:

HP Pavilion (18,500 capacity)

San Jose, California

Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena (12,210)

Spokane, Washington

Dunkin Donuts Center (12,500)

Providence, Rhode Island

New Orleans Arena (17,000)

New Orleans, Louisiana

very true. went to the elite 8 last year (davidson vs kansas) and i sat in the upper bowl at ford field. i couldnt see anything.

I was watching the games on TV at Ford Field, and thought "what a horrible venue to see a college basketball game."

Hence the Jumbotrons. Right?

there was not a central jumbotron with screens at the elite 8. just a very primitive scoreboard that kept track of time, score, player fouls, and player points. the end zone jumbotrons showed the game, but the placement of those is terrible to begin with. the frozen four is going to be at ford field next year as well.

there was not a central jumbotron with screens at the elite 8. just a very primitive scoreboard that kept track of time, score, player fouls, and player points. the end zone jumbotrons showed the game, but the placement of those is terrible to begin with. the frozen four is going to be at ford field next year as well.

I can second that. I saw MSU play kentucky there a few of years ago and we would have been better off staying at home and watching it on TV. I think that getting a first round game would be awesome. does anyone know what it takes to actually bring one here?

I can second that. I saw MSU play kentucky there a few of years ago and we would have been better off staying at home and watching it on TV. I think that getting a first round game would be awesome. does anyone know what it takes to actually bring one here?

I tried to find the requirements on NCAA's site, but didn't come up with anything. The article I posted a few back was pretty informative. ^^^ It sounds like the rep from NCAA that he interviewed thinks we have a decent shot.

BTW: it sounds like this was one of the first things that the new Sports Commission started working on two years ago. It's just now going public.

The column that GRDad posted makes it sound like there is an application of sorts that you submit to the selection committee, outlining how you meet all of their hosting requirements and why they would would want to hold it in your city. You've got to sell your city, and I would imagine you also have to show you have support of the local gov't and business community as well.

I would imagine that the Sports Commission and whoever else that Secchia is working with are taking care of all of this.

Be careful what you wish for... I can tell you first hand from the 2009 Dance that a 1st/2nd round venue MAY have 3000 or so seats available to the general public (My experience was with a 18,000 seat gym)

Expect to pay for your tickets at the time of ordering, ticket are orderable a few weeks after the conclusion of the current tourney. You will not know if you actually have tickets until some six months after you've placed your order. If you did not make the lottery cut you will then receive your money back at that time. Also on your list of expectations is if you do get tickets, you can be assured they will be on the end-zones and or top of the house. I don't believe you can request or purchase better seating. If you enjoy a cold brew, do so before the event, no alcohol is available or served at NCAA playoff events.

Some of the ticket oddness may change due to a number of class action suits against TicketMaster and the NCAA, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't mean to sound bitter, I've just seen the reality of a city getting their hopes up, making all sorts of accomidations for the event and then discovering that few locals ever get in the door. That said, it's good for the hospitality industry, but they are the only one's who will get any economic benifit.

At the end of the day, you're better off planting yourself in front of an HD TV if it's basketball you're interested in.

[/Debbie Downer mode]

Be careful what you wish for... I can tell you first hand from the 2009 Dance that a 1st/2nd round venue MAY have 3000 or so seats available to the general public (My experience was with a 18,000 seat gym)

Expect to pay for your tickets at the time of ordering, ticket are orderable a few weeks after the conclusion of the current tourney. You will not know if you actually have tickets until some six months after you've placed your order. If you did not make the lottery cut you will then receive your money back at that time. Also on your list of expectations is if you do get tickets, you can be assured they will be on the end-zones and or top of the house. I don't believe you can request or purchase better seating. If you enjoy a cold brew, do so before the event, no alcohol is available or served at NCAA playoff events.

Some of the ticket oddness may change due to a number of class action suits against TicketMaster and the NCAA, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't mean to sound bitter, I've just seen the reality of a city getting their hopes up, making all sorts of accomidations for the event and then discovering that few locals ever get in the door. That said, it's good for the hospitality industry, but they are the only one's who will get any economic benifit.

At the end of the day, you're better off planting yourself in front of an HD TV if it's basketball you're interested in.

[/Debbie Downer mode]

I actually hadn't really thought of going to the games. I was thinking more from an exposure/status and economic development angle. I'm just as happy watching the playoffs on TV somewhere.

The lottery that you are speaking about is only for the Final Four. It would be awesome if we were to host the first and second round. Fans and players from 8 different schools would be in Grand Rapids for the long weekend!

From the TicketMaster NCAA 2010 Baketball Championship Website:

You are submitting a no cost application for the 2010 NCAA Div. I Men's Basketball Championship.NCAA will select applications at random from the pool of entries and notify all applicants whether they have been selected or not via email on or about Mon, May 4, 2009. Selected applicants will receive a password and be allowed to transact on a first-come, first-served basis, starting on Wed, May 6, 2009 at 10:00 AM Local Time. Winners' passwords will expire on Mon, May 11th at 12:00 PM (noon) Local Time after which they will no longer be valid.

This was taken from a 1st/2nd round event.

It would appear it is still a lottery, but after legal action was taken, you are no longer required to pay for the tickets until they are issued.

Archived