Pawtucket Now!

As far as megalomaniacs go, I think I'm pretty tame. When I first bagged the domain PawtucketNow.org and installed MediaWiki I mentioned the basic idea on the evil Twitter, and somebody immediately came back with Freak Power. That'd be some damn good company to keep, but I don't see us going in that direction.

I think there's pretty broad dissatisfaction with the current administration, and we have no other alternative. I really believe in the community-building approach, and I think we underestimate the size and quality of our talent pool. It's not like we're a tenth or a fifth the size of Providence. We're about 40% with plenty of room for growth.

The political movement is focused on direct citizen involvement in government through technology, volunteerism and municipal office. Interest has been broad based, with Registered Independents the largest of fairly balanced party affiliation spectrum. I'm not worried about a lot of political tension because the problems we face and the solutions to them are so basic as to be truly non-partisan. And, ultimately, direct citizen engagement will find its own equilibrium.

I got the inspiration for the Pawtucket Now community wiki from this thing in Davis, CA that I can't shut up about. But also this planning department wiki in Weber County, Utah. The Davis wiki is on the WikiSpot platform, which is pretty structured. Plus, I don't know how they'd feel about a political thing glommed onto the side of it.

I think the MediaWiki markup is super-easy. Even easier than you, BB Code. :cry:

Anyway, if you know anybody who lives in Pawtucket and is willing to put up some time to. you know, take over, please send them the link.

kthxbai

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the MediaWiki markup is super-easy. Even easier than you, BB Code. :cry:

Anyway, if you know anybody who lives in Pawtucket and is willing to put up some time to. you know, take over, please send them the link.

kthxbai

• 1 month later...

Pawtucket Now - Initial Organizing Meeting

* Who: You

* What: Attend a political meeting

* When: June 16, 5 - 6:30 pm

* Where: New Commons, 545 Pawtucket Ave, #106A Google Map

* Why: Because you want to make Pawtucket a better place...

* How: ...through technology, volunteerism and elected office

Agenda

Introductions - Who are we?

Inventory of Capabilities - What can we do?

Organizing Principles - How should we structure the political movement

Initial Priorities - What needs to happen now?

Next Step - How shall we proceed?

Archived