Bikeville

Galley

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great info! Thanks Galley.

I really like the logo incorporating the Liberty Bridge. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This may sound silly, but with the bike vallet parking, do you need to have your own lock/chain on the bike? :dontknow:

As I understand it, no. There will be someone there to watch your bike at all times.

We took the conference bike for a trial run today down Main St. Needless to say, we attracted a lot of attention. We will be using the conference bike for a guided art tour on May 23. Up to seven people can ride. All seven pedal, and one steers and brakes. It's a blast! :D

You can sign up by sending an e-mail to [email protected]

post-16665-1240024558_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We took the conference bike for a trial run today down Main St. Needless to say, we attracted a lot of attention. We will be using the conference bike for a guided art tour on May 23. Up to seven people can ride. All seven pedal, and one steers and brakes. It's a blast! :D

Cool that you posted this! I am just now seeing it. I guess I need to check in the Coffee House more often.

The Conference Bike in action:

How does the combined peddling work? Does each one contribute to the to the powering for the bike or is just like an exercise bike for the people not steering? Does any real conferencing go on or do the riders spend most of their time figuring out and just trying to keep things straight in their head?

The drive mechanisms operate independently, so it's not necessary for everyone to be pedaling at once. It also does not require everyone to be pedaling; it's quite easy to move with just a couple of people. The driver has a lever-operated hand brake, which is the only thing that takes getting used to. Everyone else can just relax and have fun. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

The Downtown Greenville Art Tour is tomorrow from 12 - 4, so look for us on the big red Conference Bike cruising down Main Street. I will be on it that whole time, so come up to say hi if you see us.

More info on the City's Bike Month page: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/publicworks/BikeMonth.aspx

The Downtown Greenville Art Tour is tomorrow from 12 - 4, so look for us on the big red Conference Bike cruising down Main Street. I will be on it that whole time, so come up to say hi if you see us.

More info on the City's Bike Month page: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/publicworks/BikeMonth.aspx

^ :thumbsup:

So you'll be leading....if we show up on bikes we can ride along?

This reminds me of an idea some people were throwing around. Organized bike rides when the Swamp Rabbit trail is complete......meeting downtown, packing some wine and cheese in a backpack and riding out to Furman for concerts, the symphony, etc. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out.

This reminds me of an idea some people were throwing around. Organized bike rides when the Swamp Rabbit trail is complete......meeting downtown, packing some wine and cheese in a backpack and riding out to Furman for concerts, the symphony, etc. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out.

That actually sounds like a great idea!

We had a blast with the conference bike yesterday. We ended up picking up riders as rode up and down Main St. Here's a group of young women who were celebrating a birthday.

BTW, the conference bike is owned by TTR Bikes and can be rented for any occasion for a reasonable $50 for the first hour, $30 for each additional hour, or $150/day.

post-16665-1243174417_thumb.jpg

We had a blast with the conference bike yesterday. We ended up picking up riders as rode up and down Main St. Here's a group of young women who were celebrating a birthday.

BTW, the conference bike is owned by TTR Bikes and can be rented for any occasion for a reasonable $50 for the first hour, $30 for each additional hour, or $150/day.

That was a LOT of fun. I think everyone who got on it really loved it...and it was great that we had riders of all ages.

I bet we will all be seeing it around town quite a bit more in the future.

I want to remind everyone that "Breaking Away" will be the Moonlight Movie tonight at the Peace Center Amphitheater (assuming the weather cooperates). The prize drawings for everyone who participated in Bike Month Events will take place around 7:30. If you parked your bike at an earlier event, come on down and see if you win something.

...and complementary Bike Valet parking will be available at the movie tonight. Just look for the Bikeville banner.

More info about the movie at: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/visitors/MoonlightMovies.asp

• 2 weeks later...

Jenny and I are now officially part of Bikeville! We when to TTR on Hudson street and are now the proud owners of two commuter bikes. See you on the road. ;)

Very cool! TTR is a great shop. I hope you enjoy the bikes.

• 1 month later...

The City of Greenville will soon be submitting its application to become a Bicycle Friendly Community. Along with the application, a very thorough PDF will be submitted that further details the city's commitment. From what I have seen, a bronze award is a lock, but we are hoping to get silver (or possibly gold). :)

Also, there is a good possibility we will see bike lanes added to two of the main roads leading into downtown Greenville in the near future.

That's great news. More SC cities need to get on board with this designation and commitment to cycling. Several colleagues of mine have a theory that on a city's first application, they only award a bronze- the idea being that you move up the rankings over time. It will be interesting to see how Greenville does.

• 1 month later...

E. North St. is one of the two main roads I alluded to earlier. I suspect there may be some opposition at first, but once it is in place, and folks see the positive effect it has on the area, the mindset on these types of projects will quickly change. :)

Archived