***Picture of the Day***

Scott

Wow @ all those cranes in Dubai!

Yeah you should see all of what's being built in Dubai. It is truely amazing, not just some very interesting buildings but some rather interesting amusement parks. Even some unique islands are being made for development. People may not know much about Dubai yet but it looks like that's going to change soon.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've been posting alot of New Orleans related pictures, but this one is very interesting.

New Orleans in 1965 after Hurricane Betsy, the last major hurricane to directly hit New Orleans. This was taken from Air Force One, as President Lyndon Johnson was flying over the city. The most densely populated area in the middle of the picture is the Lower 9th Ward.

800px-HurricaneBetsyFloodingAirForceONE.jpg

It looks eerily familiar doesn't it?

I know I've been posting alot of New Orleans related pictures, but this one is very interesting.

New Orleans in 1965 after Hurricane Betsy, the last major hurricane to directly hit New Orleans. This was taken from Air Force One, as President Lyndon Johnson was flying over the city. The most densely populated area in the middle of the picture is the Lower 9th Ward.

800px-HurricaneBetsyFloodingAirForceONE.jpg

It looks eerily familiar doesn't it?

Interesting pic Nate, thanks for posting.

I haven't quite understood it all myself. I think what basically got this all started is that they wanted to diversify their economy off of oil and wanted to get more into tourism and business. Dubai really seems to be going big time into tourism. I get the impression the city has been making this move for a while but that those of us over here in the US haven't started noticing until now. I imagine Matt can better explain.

What is causing all of this development? That is a whole of buildings being built at one time!

That's nothing. Some of these developments in Dubai are consisting of 500 Skyscrapers in a development.

Mainly, Dubai is growing at an alarming rate for many reasons. One, Oil has nothing to do with it. Dubai is completly not reliant on oil. Other Emirates States are, but Dubai doesn't bank of that.

Second, UAE has opened their Country to foreign investments in the past 15 years which is causing an economic surge and diversifying it's economy.

Third, Dubai's tourism rate is growing at among the highest in the world. Dubai is suppose to have 15 Million Tourists by 2015 or so.

Fourth, Dubai is just about at the center of the earth and has always been a focal point in trading between Europe and Asian and among the Middle East.

I hate to be the buzz-kill here, but does anyone else think these Dubai pictures look like suburban office parks except with 50 story buildings? Does anyone know if there is any thought to human-scaled activities in these areas, or is it just supposed to be "towers in park"? Unbelievable pics though. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

I hate to be the buzz-kill here, but does anyone else think these Dubai pictures look like suburban office parks except with 50 story buildings? Does anyone know if there is any thought to human-scaled activities in these areas, or is it just supposed to be "towers in park"? Unbelievable pics though. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

I agree. The structures are impressive and make for nice photos... but the environment seems very hostile to the human.

I was wondering the same thing: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19429

Perhaps a Dubai native can shed some light for us?