***Picture of the Day***

Scott

I'll eventually post this in my Albuquerque topic but thought I'd try it out over here as well. Albuquerque at dusk from Sandia Crest. Pretty amazing how small the city looks when you're above 10,600 ft. The only problem I had was the clouds that kept going by. It's not smog you see in the pic but clouds. I had to keep trying to take pics between cloud breaks. Pretty cold and windy but worth it. :D

118292227_aec4d306fb_o.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not in an urban area but just in case we have any bridge fans I have some shots of the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge near Taos, New Mexico. I could be wrong but I think theis is the second highest span in the US after the Royal Gorge in Colorado. I believe the bridge is about 800 ft over the river and is around 500 ft long. In the background of the first pic is the Truchas Range of the Sangre de Cristos Mtns. Then the second pic is to actually show the river since you can't see it from the angle of the first shot.

119002639_e672b22cf5_o.jpg

119002640_1037e711f8_o.jpg

Here are my top five from spring break

-a small pool in the San Marcos River 28 miles south of Austin, TX. (not urban)

Picture120.jpg

-a residential tower rising over the Museum of Natural Science and statue of Sam Houston.

Picture107.jpg

-downtown Houston from LaBranch Street.

cloudseastside.jpg

-urban scene from Little Saigon

Picture089.jpg

and a shot of Sikes Hall from this afternoon

Picture146.jpg

A follow-up of Cotuit's outstanding street level North Main St shot of Providence is this view of I-95 winding through the city, taken from high up in Rhode Island Hospital at the edge of downtown yesterday (barely visible in the center left are 4 cranes building 3 new towers and one historic structure renovation into a hotel)...

wide95sm1uz.jpg

- Garris

Providence, RI

I love those great shots of the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge Mith. :shok:

Thanks, I'm going to eventually post some more in another topic.

Millionaire's Row in Williamsport, PA

57360420.100_2502.jpg

Nice houses and nice pic. Anyone have any idea what style of house you'd call that one in the center?

Thanks, I'm going to eventually post some more in another topic.

Nice houses and nice pic. Anyone have any idea what style of house you'd call that one in the center?

The one with the salmon-colored trim, right? (strange color scheme by the way.)

The style is Italianate, most popular between the mid 1800s, and 1880 (1800 was about when the Queen Anne Victorian style became popular. The hallmarks of the Italiante style are the brakets around the low-pitched roof and the decorative "hoods" over the rounded windows. The stucco finish on this house is unusual: brick or siding are more common.

The Bolling Haxall House in Richmond Virginia, is a very similar example of the style. It was very difficult to find a good picture of it on the internet, but here is one: (its the tenth picture down)

http://www.historicrichmond.com/monroeward.html

Looking west toward the White Tanks. (Phoenixvis.net)

While a fine photo, I'm sorry to say that one made me quite sad :( . This looks like the cookie cutter sprawl I've seen all over AZ, gobbling up tons of beautiful land... A shame...

Another day, another photo from Providence, RI. This one is of some interesting highlighting on the Point Street Bridge caused by nighttime construction lighting of work being done relocating I-195 here in the city. In the foreground is the Jewelry District (an old mixed use industrial/residential/commercial area) and in the distance across the river is the tony College Hill/East Side neighborhood most famous for containing RISD and Brown Universities:

pointstreetbw2sm6ur.jpg

- Garris

Providence, RI

Edited by Garris