***Picture of the Day***

Scott

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opening day of the Pawtucket Red Sox!

Pawtucket, RI is a small city of 73,000 that is located on the Northern border of the larger Providence, RI, about 10 minutes drive from the capitol city's downtown.

The "Paw Sox," as they are known, are a Triple-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, just a 45 minute shot up I-95. The stadium below, McCoy Stadium, has a capacity of 10,500 (which looked like it was full for the opener despite temps of 37 degrees). One of the oldest stadiums in its league, it was renovated in 1998.

mccoyplayer1sm2uw.jpg

mccoy1sm2xt.jpg

mccoy2sm0eg.jpg

Oh, and the Paw Sox beat the visiting Indianapolis Indians 3-2 in a thrilling bottom of the 9th.

- Garris

Providence, RI

Edited by Garris

Theres nothin' like a southern sunset, love the picture, NCB :shades:

Great shot of Pawtucket, always liked those quaint little NE towns, Garris :D

That shot of the bell south tower is awesome Ironchapman :shades:

And that dog one is hilarious :rofl:

Great pics everyone!

Edited by TBurban

Nice pics guys. Things are looking pretty green there Nate. And man that's one long pan shot there greens. ZachariahDaMan, any ideas how old that house is? SBCMetroguy, did they remodel the JC Penny or did they tear it down and totally build that church from scratch?

Edited by Mith242

Nice pics guys. Things are looking pretty green there Nate. And man that's one long pan shot there greens. ZachariahDaMan, any ideas how old that house is? SBCMetroguy, did they remodel the JC Penny or did they tear it down and totally build that church from scratch?

They gutted it completely, and I believe they used the original side walls. The entire mall closed due to gang activity a few years back... a nearly 1 million sq. ft. building sat nearly empty until the church bought it. Now it's a nearly 1 million sq. ft. church. The only store left in there is Burlington Coat Factory... for whatever reason they've been allowed to stay.

Same buildings as in my previous pic, just a different angle.

126557882_0f8823326a_o.jpg

Those are some really cool-looking old buildings. That scene actually reminds me a lot of the town used in the TV show Ghost Whisperer.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Can't say I'm too familiar with that show. But for this region Fayetteville is pretty old. Many areas of the Ozarks weren't heavily settled in the early 1800's. Fayetteville doesn't have any buildings left before the Civil War. Fayetteville took a lot of damage in during the war.

Nice pics everyone. Here's my contribution for today. Tulips at the Fayetteville Square. The Bank of Fayetteville and Mrs Young Buildings in the background. Both built in the 1880's.

I love all the colors, Mith. Great Work! :shades:

My contribution for today:

Nashville Skyline At Night

125360122_7e592e3f61_b.jpg

Edited by ironchapman

Pittsburgh's convention center is one of my favorite designs for such a facility. It's really a defining piece of the cityscape, and an attractive one that that. Who would have thought convention centers would be an opportunity for such architectural experimentation?

Here's another shot of Providence, RI. This is the confluence of the rivers, with the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) on the right and the Citizen's Bank building on the left with the now unified Providence River heading towards us:

confluencerisdsm9jx.jpg

The Citizen's Bank Building, in front of which the confluence happens, is designed to evoke the bow of a ship surging through the water.

- Garris

Providence, RI

Edited by Garris

Great nightshot IC. I really like the interaction of the lights and the water. Nice shot of Pittsburgh Evergrey, I agree with Garris on the convention center. And Garris nice shot of Providence. Just curious was it taken early morning or early evening?

Just curious was it taken early morning or early evening?

That shot was taken in late evening, actually about 50 minutes after sunset. That shot is actually looking directly North, so to get any color in the sky looking there is extremely unusual. The heavy, low clouds that particular day right at the end of the sunset started reflecting some color from behind them circumfrentially in a band around the sky, so I got lucky in getting any sky color at all in that view...

That Citizen's Bank Building is probably one of the most controversial in the city. Some think it should have been taller (I agree with that), and a smaller minority find it very unattractive. I think it's unique and great, especially the lighting at night.

I just love the RISD streetscape of those buildings. It's one of the best urban university streetscapes I've yet seen.

- Garris