***Picture of the Day***

Scott

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking toward the former Durfee High School in Fall River, Mass. The bridge in the foreground carries I-195 over the Taunton River.

fallriver6uf.jpg

Fall River is a rather blighted old mill town, but it has lots of great 19th century architecture and a gorgeous natural seting, with plenty of hills and water views. It has tons of potential, if it can shake off its doldrums. Given enough investment, I could even see it becoming a miniature, east coast version of San Francisco. One of these days, I'll start a Fall River photo thread to show what I mean.

The main span of the old Jamestown Bridge, linking Jamestown and North Kingstown, RI, was demolished this morning. Built in 1940, the bridge was replaced by the adjacent Jamestown Verrazano Bridge 14 years ago. Ever since, the old bridge has become a piece of local folklore, with plan after plan for its reuse or removal coming and going. Many Rhode Islanders thought they'd never see this event.

14yc1.jpg

24jw.jpg

30js1.jpg

45di.jpg

54ix.jpg

100b05547od.jpg

74ez.jpg

The remaining portions of the bridge will be removed in coming weeks. I have some more pics of the demolition in this thread in the RI forum.

Edited by Gusterfell

Here is some random Houston trivia;

The San Jacinto Monument next to the Port of Houston marks the spot where Texans defeated an army of Mexicans, which led to Texas winning independence from Mexico. It is 570 feet tall, which is 15 feet higher than the Washington Monument in Washington DC. It is a great example of moderne art deco which is slowly disappearing from Houston. All photos are from the internet but again, props to the photographer.

Monument with Hartman Bridge in the background.

58471175.jpg

The Monument with the city in the distance.

monument-full.jpg

I know I have posted a ton of photos of Houston today. I guess that I am getting homesick again.