***Picture of the Day***

Scott

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are celebrating our 175th birthday. Interestingly, our neighbor city to the east, Spartanburg, is celebrating 175 years as well. The area where downtown Greenville now sits was first settled around 1776 by pioneer Richard Pearis, but the town was not officially established until 1831 as Pleasantburg, then later renamed Greenville.

Looking down on the streets of downtown Houston from 60 floors up.

pikes108.jpg

Here is some history that has not been turned into surface lots and professional sports venues.

pikes126.jpg

And a last shot, looking up the levels of buildings to the massive Wells Fargo Plaza.

pikes135.jpg

RiverPlace along the Reedy River in Downtown Greenville, South Carolina:

166909894_2993724103_b.jpg

Thanks for posting this, RT. I've seen it in other threads but can't get enough of it. I'm sure one of these days I'll get to visit Greenville and see these sights firsthand.

By the way, what exactly is RiverPlace? Is it a shopping/dining/entertainment-type complex? It's very nice. I've also noticed that the quality is superb in all your pics. I bow to you... I'm not worthy!! :D

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Thanks for posting this, RT. I've seen it in other threads but can't get enough of it. I'm sure one of these days I'll get to visit Greenville and see these sights firsthand.

By the way, what exactly is RiverPlace? Is it a shopping/dining/entertainment-type complex? It's very nice. I've also noticed that the quality is superb in all your pics. I bow to you... I'm not worthy!! :D

I hope you do have a chance to visit Greenville someday. It is well worth the effort. :thumbsup:

RiverPlace is a mixed-use development being built in three phases. RT's picture above is of phase one, which is very nearly complete. The overall project includes office, residential, retail (including grocery), restaurant, hotel, entertainment, artist's spaces, plus public plazas, fountains, sculpture, and a nice riverwalk connecting RiverPlace with nearby parks on the Reedy River. Underneath the buildings is a public parking garage. :shades:

Website

Live Webcam

Construction Thread on UrbanPlanet.org

Skyliner covered it all pretty well. The quality is in the camera, not the photographer, I assure you. :blush:

167833659_b04acc52d8_b.jpg

I couldn't help but notice how the logo for River Bank Books & Music very much resembles the one for the Greenville County Library System here in South Carolina:

logo_GCLS_green_sm.jpg:lol:

A little different view of Greenville's RiverPlace from inside of the Wyche Pavilion on the banks of the Reedy River behind the Peace Center for the Performing Arts:

166909884_925f84b10e_b.jpg