***Picture of the Day***

Scott

That is bizarre! :huh: The owner also owns a bookstore on the Lake Michigan shoreline area, but not in Greenville that I know of. But I would go so far as to say that the Greenville Library logo was the inspiration (or maybe even traced). Busted! :P

I have noticed Rested Traveler your photos are awesome!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you do have a chance to visit Greenville someday. It is well worth the effort. :thumbsup:

RiverPlace is a mixed-use development being built in three phases. RT's picture above is of phase one, which is very nearly complete. The overall project includes office, residential, retail (including grocery), restaurant, hotel, entertainment, artist's spaces, plus public plazas, fountains, sculpture, and a nice riverwalk connecting RiverPlace with nearby parks on the Reedy River. Underneath the buildings is a public parking garage. :shades:

Wow, thanks for the information! It's certainly a beautiful development. :)

Nice pics as always. Nice to get even more views of Greenville. Nice pics as well GRDadof3. :D

A quick note on RiverPlace:

The website I provided has not been updated in quite a while, and some of the information is now incorrect. The total cost is well over $100-million, and there will be additions to both the centerpiece plaza, as well as a possible complete overhaul of the phase III design (could be taller too). Phase III is rumored to include a movie theatre and more residential, along with office, retail, and another parking garage under the building.

Cool tip:

You can have fun with the live webcam! Tilt, pan, zoom till your heart's content. :lol:

Here's one I took in 2005 of the upper plaza at Falls Park on the Reedy, as seen from South Main Street. The eastern edge of RiverPlace is just across Main Street from this plaza.

FallsPark_02.jpg

Awesome photos guys :D

I hope you do have a chance to visit Greenville someday. It is well worth the effort. :thumbsup:

RiverPlace is a mixed-use development being built in three phases. RT's picture above is of phase one, which is very nearly complete. The overall project includes office, residential, retail (including grocery), restaurant, hotel, entertainment, artist's spaces, plus public plazas, fountains, sculpture, and a nice riverwalk connecting RiverPlace with nearby parks on the Reedy River. Underneath the buildings is a public parking garage. :shades:

Website

Live Webcam

Construction Thread on UrbanPlanet.org

RiverPlace sounds a lot like Richmond's Rocketts Landing development. It uncludes over a mile of riverfront property located directly on the James. It will include retail, residential, founatins, monuments, plazas, marinas. It will also be at the far side of the Canal Walk East expansion. Its also being built in phases, Id say its about a quarters way done with phase one. I think there are four phases, not quite sure.

The also have some sites. Their website only has the plans for phase, one. They wont release the next plans until it's finished.

Rocketts Landing Website

Rocketts Landing Forum

It's an uncanny resemblance of you alls development. I wonder if anybody else has something similar :lol:

Edited by TBurban

Hey that reminds me, I've been meaning to ask how old is that bridge and any ideas on the cost of it?

The Liberty Bridge is only a couple years old now, and has one an international award for architectural engineering. It is the only one of its kind in the World. The price for the bridge was only $4.5 million.

Click Here to learn more. - This website is official, but not updated.

Restaurants, art galleries & studios, museums, theatres, clothing stores, antiques, gifts, coffee shops, spas, an indoor climbing center, recording arts studio, SC Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities, Greenville High School, a nice "new" ballpark, bars, real estate, etc...

Restaurants, art galleries & studios, museums, theatres, clothing stores, antiques, gifts, coffee shops, spas, an indoor climbing center, recording arts studio, SC Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities, Greenville High School, a nice "new" ballpark, bars, real estate, etc...

Very cool! That's quite a mix. I'll bet it's one vibrant district.

Very cool! That's quite a mix. I'll bet it's one vibrant district.

Well it is a district on its way up, that is totally acurate. If you had seen it ten years ago, you would barely recognize it today, and in another ten years, it will be even better. What we have in this district is real history and recently-created history - by that, I mean many of the new buildings are being designed in an old style, and include reused bricks from old 1800s mills in the area. The area surrounding the ballpark is a great example of this. :thumbsup:

Here is a small sample of new buildings in the West End (still under construction) from a few months ago:

WestEnd_02b.jpg

A fascinating adaptive-reuse development in the West End is Rocks and Ropes, a rock/mountain climbing business with real climbing walls in an old building next to a railroad track.

Here's my contribution for today...

Check out this shot of mine from Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park. I found a bird walking around in these little ponds and rapids set up on one side of the park.

173443886_6996affb69_b.jpg

One of the last pictures I took before my camera temporarily malfunctioned (it's working fine now, though).

Well it is a district on its way up, that is totally acurate. If you had seen it ten years ago, you would barely recognize it today, and in another ten years, it will be even better. What we have in this district is real history and recently-created history - by that, I mean many of the new buildings are being designed in an old style, and include reused bricks from old 1800s mills in the area. The area surrounding the ballpark is a great example of this. :thumbsup:

Here is a small sample of new buildings in the West End (still under construction) from a few months ago:

WestEnd_02b.jpg

A fascinating adaptive-reuse development in the West End is Rocks and Ropes, a rock/mountain climbing business with real climbing walls in an old building next to a railroad track.

Are those old buildings being remodeled, or new buildings being built from the ground up? Because if they're brand-new, then wow... they did an awesome job of giving them a historic look.

Are those old buildings being remodeled, or new buildings being built from the ground up? Because if they're brand-new, then wow... they did an awesome job of giving them a historic look.

Those are brand new. In the foreground, you see a small portion of the left-field concourse of the new ballpark, which is complete - interestingly dubbed, "The Fenway of the South." In the background, a new mixed-use development called, 'The Field House at West End' is still under construction. I would say it is quite impressive how these and other projects in the West End have been designed to look old to match the real old structures in the neighborhood. :shades: