***Picture of the Day***

Scott

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, IC! And yes, it's a beautiful piece of work. But then again, for $23 million, it better be! ;)

Nate: I'm so totally envious! I cannot wait to go to Chicago and see Millenium Park first hand!

Oh, you'll absolutely love it! I jumped at the chance to visit Chicago for a few days, and I would be up there again in a heartbeat if I could. It's the urban enthusiast's/photographer's dream, especially if the weather is nice. And I know you have kids, so all of the famous pizza, shopping, museums, observation decks, aquarium, and music should be a big hit for your whole family. :thumbsup:

Thanks, IC! And yes, it's a beautiful piece of work. But then again, for $23 million, it better be! ;)

Oh, you'll absolutely love it! I jumped at the chance to visit Chicago for a few days, and I would be up there again in a heartbeat if I could. It's the urban enthusiast's/photographer's dream, especially if the weather is nice. And I know you have kids, so all of the famous pizza, shopping, museums, observation decks, aquarium, and music should be a big hit for your whole family. :thumbsup:

Indeed. The last time we were there as a family (2002), our daughter was very young and our son wasn't even thought of yet. I'm sure both would enjoy it all now. We usually take day trips over from Fort Wayne while we're up there visiting my sister, but I really want to make Chicago a destination and my sister a secondary stop some time soon. I've somehow never managed to be in Chicago when it wasn't raining or foggy though. Talk about an eerie sight - looking up and seeing all those towers vanishing into the clouds. :shok:

^Yes, that is a great picture. The water looks beautiful. Was it taken from Canada or one of the islands near the city?

^never saw the tri before :D pizza hut, taco bell, and the KFC. that must be a fastfood junkies haven.

Yes, it is. :) There's more on the other side of the street.

There's a lot of food shops on that street. When I was taking those pictures, I stopped in an ice cream shop nearby myself for a couple scoops of chocolate ice cream.

Edited by ironchapman

Im pretty sure it was taken from Canada, but i didnt take it, so i dont know for sure.

Nice details on the moon there!

Heres on that i actually took during the summer. Showing a little downtown Detroit density.

204575640_ce4fa1a11e_b.jpg

Edited by dtown

nice picture, what type of lenses are you using? or are you taking it during teh day?

Nope, taken at night. That black background is the sky, no post-processing on that whatsoever. I sharpened the moon ever-so-slightly to make the craters stand out more on the bottom side, cropped the image, and added my logo. The sky is exactly as it was.

The lens I used is my Canon EF 75-300mm III. It's a very cheap telephoto lens, but when mounted onto a tripod it does the job quite well. It was either $200+ or $300+, I can't remember. A girl I work with takes lots of hockey photos, so she went out this weekend and bought the Canon 70-300mm IS, which is more along the lines of $700 but is much better for hand-held shots.

Feel free to view the EXIF data from this shot here. This will give you a good guide to use if you decide to do this. It was all a matter of trial and error, so it took a little time to get one particular shot I thought was perfect. I was also bursting at 10-12 shots/click just to ensure I got at least one shot that I would love.

Nope, taken at night. That black background is the sky, no post-processing on that whatsoever. I sharpened the moon ever-so-slightly to make the craters stand out more on the bottom side, cropped the image, and added my logo. The sky is exactly as it was.

The lens I used is my Canon EF 75-300mm III. It's a very cheap telephoto lens, but when mounted onto a tripod it does the job quite well. It was either $200+ or $300+, I can't remember. A girl I work with takes lots of hockey photos, so she went out this weekend and bought the Canon 70-300mm IS, which is more along the lines of $700 but is much better for hand-held shots.

Feel free to view the EXIF data from this shot here. This will give you a good guide to use if you decide to do this. It was all a matter of trial and error, so it took a little time to get one particular shot I thought was perfect. I was also bursting at 10-12 shots/click just to ensure I got at least one shot that I would love.

Thanks for the info, I was looking at some nighttime lense, but I decided to jsut get a nice flash and see how that works, I'll see how it works and hopefully post some good nighttime pictures, I have been getting a lot of noise and I thought an external flash would be a good fix.

Thanks for the info, I was looking at some nighttime lense, but I decided to jsut get a nice flash and see how that works, I'll see how it works and hopefully post some good nighttime pictures, I have been getting a lot of noise and I thought an external flash would be a good fix.

What kind of camera are you shooting with?