Guess Where!

I miss "Blurry Grand Rapids." Although I can't take the awesome of the blurry from whoever operated that years ago, I figured it would be fun to at least have a "Guess Where" game. Full points awarded to the first one to guess the location, half points awarded to everyone else who follows.

This one is worth 20 points.

IMG_0831.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I miss "Blurry Grand Rapids." Although I can't take the awesome of the blurry from whoever operated that years ago, I figured it would be fun to at least have a "Guess Where" game. Full points awarded to the first one to guess the location, half points awarded to everyone else who follows.

This one is worth 20 points.

IMG_0831.jpg

Yep! It's the Ledyard.

The photo is of the original atrium in the primary Ledyard building, built in 1874 on the corner of Pearl & Ottawa. When built, it was the first office block not located along Monroe (everything around it on Ottawa and Pearl were single-family homes) and appealed to businesses due to this very atrium. Among its first tenants were the Grand Rapids Public Library, the YMCA, a business college, and more. The first floor was retail, the second and third floors were offices, and the fourth floor was apartments. The atrium spans from the second floor to the fourth floor, topped with an original skylight. This photo was taken from the top floor, now occupied by Macatawa Bank.

New one will be posted on Thursday.

Thanks to both of your clues, I finally narrowed it down. The building looked really familiar the first time I saw the picture, although it turns out it isn't where I thought it was (Pearl and Lyon).

So, here's my guess: 44 Ionia Avenue, SW. It looks like it's apartments now, is that correct?

Great puzzle, I've been looking on and off for a few days. :)

Thanks to both of your clues, I finally narrowed it down. The building looked really familiar the first time I saw the picture, although it turns out it isn't where I thought it was (Pearl and Lyon).

So, here's my guess: 44 Ionia Avenue, SW. It looks like it's apartments now, is that correct?

Great puzzle, I've been looking on and off for a few days. :)

There's also another building on North Ionia which uses the red sandstone, I think.. and I think there's a light application of it in the Waldron Building (McFadden's) as well. It's a really beautiful material, unfortunately it doesn't seem to weather very well.

Archived