Morrocroft Village in Southpark

edmundblackadder1999

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived off Fairview Rd, near SP in the mid 1980s, it was all woods and a big cleared field. Colony Rd. did not exist between Fairview and Sharon Rd. (basically the part around the development) nor were any of the other roads built. I vaguely remember there being a house there but I might be wrong on that one. Colony at the time was just a connection road between Fairview and Sharon View. (by the farrington Apts.) and a section behind SP.

For a long time the only thing that was on that section of the road was the modern style church on Sharon Rd. across from the old main entrance to SP.

When I lived off Fairview Rd, near SP in the mid 1980s, it was all woods and a big cleared field. Colony Rd. did not exist between Fairview and Sharon Rd. (basically the part around the development) nor were any of the other roads built. I vaguely remember there being a house there but I might be wrong on that one. Colony at the time was just a connection road between Fairview and Sharon View. (by the farrington Apts.) and a section behind SP.

For a long time the only thing that was on that section of the road was the modern style church on Sharon Rd. across from the old main entrance to SP.

Ahh OK. I am pretty sure that was all woods or acreage related to an old house. As I mentioned above, that part of Colony Rd was not there then. There wasn't much on that side of the road between Fairview and where Sharon Rd. and Sharon Lane branch off.

Someone who visited SouthPark in 1984 simply would not recognize it today. Aside from the changes to the actual mall, there has been a huge amount of out parcel development and they have torn down many of the original buildings. Across Fairview there was just a small strip mall, and a very large data processing center that belonged to Eastern Airlines. There was also a textile plant there is well. Southpark was quite run down in the early 1980s as it was Eastland that was considered the upscale place to visit. This started to change in the early 1990s when focus shifted back to SP and East Charlotte started it's decline.

Ahh OK, I visited the Eastern Airlines facility once and they said the other building was involved with textiles. I had incorrectly assumed they manufactured them instead of supplying supplies to them. That visit was about 25 years or so ago so my memory isn't that good.

Archived