Local Statements in Architecture

Throughout our nations history, the local courthouses and city halls were the big statement of architecture in the area. Many are exquisite and many, in smaller areas, are still the best example of high design ideals. Of course, there's the good, the bad and the ugly too... Show off (or admit to) your area's edifices.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Columbus, Georgia and Muscogee County consolidated in 1971. Leaders at the time wanted a physical expression of that progressive step in local governance. So, it was out with the old courthouse...

post-13798-1239914544_thumb.jpg

And in with the new Government Center (c 1974)

post-13798-1239914562_thumb.jpg

As a result of this, the local Historic Foundation was established. While it may not be 'exquisit', the 'new' courthouse is a style of architecture and does make a statement. My fear is that one day, somebody will want to tear this down and put up something 'more suitable'. I contend that even the modern architecture of the middle 20th century that so many consider not worthy is, nonetheless, and example of a period of architecture and some are worth saving for that reason.

post-13798-1239914544_thumb.jpg

post-13798-1239914562_thumb.jpg

I tend to agree with you about modernist/post-modernist architecture. From an urban perspective, a lot of them get it wrong, but I do think that some are worth preserving, even if just for architectural merit. I'm reminded of an example in Columbia, SC where this

2570890876_1ff00a08eb.jpg

which was built in 1912, was torn down to build this

1801Main.jpg

I tend to agree with you about modernist/post-modernist architecture. From an urban perspective, a lot of them get it wrong, but I do think that some are worth preserving, even if just for architectural merit. I'm reminded of an example in Columbia, SC where this

2570890876_1ff00a08eb.jpg

which was built in 1912, was torn down to build this

1801Main.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived