Southend Living

I thought that it might be a good time to start a thread dedicated to general living and activity in Southend. There has been a lot going on in the district lately including residential, office, hotel, food, boutiques, etc. It seems like this area, as well as Noda, has had an interesting little boom of new stuff despite the economy. Center City Partners has a website dedicated to the 'hood: www.HistoricSouthend.com

One opening in the district that seems to have really taken off is the new Common Market. I stopped in yesterday to grab lunch -- the deli lines to order and to pick up were both at least a dozen people deep, the wine bar had a couple folks at it, and the pack patio area was filled. It really looks like this is going to be a great neighborhood hang out. Last night they had a DJ out back with a free wine tasting. Every time I've driven by the parking lot is full. The area really needed a laid back cafe non-chain place -- not knocking Phat Burrito...it serves the same local vibe and the two will likely compliment each other. Having both of these places open should really add some life to the First Friday Monthly Gallery Crawls -- there are a handful of galleries, shops, and stores open for these -- having a little nightlife nightspot to hit during and after will be great.

Art & Soul of Southend festival is next weekend. This event is always fun, great skyline views, good vendors, and this year after the festival ends Saturday evening there is a free concert in the Farmers Market lot until midnight. www.artandsoulofsouthend.com

With Ashton Southend taking in new residents (10 story apartment building at Tremont and Camden) plus three other apartment complexes set to be finished in the next year, there are about to be a couple thousand new residents in a 4 block area. It'll be interesting to see the impact that has on the galleries, stores, and restaurants that are there now and others that may follow and open.

Lately, I have been finding myself spending more time in this area as well. The addition of Common Market was a great boost of energy to the block. They have already added more life to Camden. I have high hopes for the overall area. There is definitely a nice mellow vibe growing, slowly but there nonetheless.

Art&Soul is fun, although to me it seems mainly geared to the baby stroller set, glad they are adding a concert. Hope the weather cooperates.

I would love to move my family into a new building in SouthEnd but we need 3 bedrooms, which the couple places we've looked at so far don't seem to offer. :(

The Tremont offers 3 bedroom units -- www.TremontCharlotte.com. It's located 2 blocks from the East/West light rail station and is on the Dilworth side of Southend.

• 1 month later...

Went to Common Market in southend last night. Really dug the outside patio, beer and good vibe.

I was talking to a friend and he pointed out that with all the new luxury apartments going up it may change the vibe of Southend. I hope it won't but at the same time I'm glad things are moving in the area. I think it'll be a good change to have even more people in the area.

What do you guys think?

It will be interesting to see....Niche, Blacksheep, etc helped to create Camden's more alt vibe and I think the scene will get preppier as the new complexes fill up. OTOH the independent retailers on the block have done a great job hosting joint parties and funky art shows through word of mouth that have proven popular with hipsters. Although no one ever wants to be called a hipster or a preppie :lol: Hopefully we will have a nice mix for awhile. Common Market seems to do a good job of bringing everyone together.

Edited by voyager12

We love Common Market. We've met or reunited with bunches of neighbors, love the vibe, love the total tab being $15 or less! I think it will be a great facet to the Southend area even with the newer places -- we need a lot of these spots around to cater to different folks tastes though the crowd at CM is always quite varied!

• 4 weeks later...

J Studio is hosting an 'All American Cookout' tonight in Southend -- freebie, they do this once a month with a different theme. Food and bevs from Common Market -- J Studio is right across the street at 201 W. Park Ave on the corner of S. Tryon. 7:00 - 9:00 for the cookout. After party at Common Market.

I try to support Southend's fledgling "downtown" because it's exactly the kind of urbanity we need more of but I am going to write off American Apparel. Aside from the fact that I can get the same AA $30 basic tee for $5 at Manifest or Sleepy Poet. ( Literally the same AA shirt was in the clearance section in the back of Manifest on South when I bought it for $5 last week)

I know they are pricier because it's all made in the USA and they pay their workers good wages. That's all great but I just personally can't afford it on a regular basis. All that aside the another major annoyance is the employees snotty "I am too cool to be friendly" attitude. Most responses to questions are sighs or you just get totally ignored. Must be in the AA training manual as I have encountered this vibe in all of their stores I have been to nationwide. Well, the other places in Southend are uniformly genuine and friendly. And locally owned so I will just spend more time going to them.

It looks like SouthEnd has a neighborhood Chinese joint on the way (finally!). There is a sign up beside Sub Station II, where the old check cashing service was located that simply says "Coming Soon: Chinese Cuisine". Today was the first time I have been in Sub Station II in a while, so I am not sure how long the sign has been there.

It looks like SouthEnd has a neighborhood Chinese joint on the way (finally!). There is a sign up beside Sub Station II, where the old check cashing service was located that simply says "Coming Soon: Chinese Cuisine". Today was the first time I have been in Sub Station II in a while, so I am not sure how long the sign has been there.

I noticed that today as well on my way to the dentist... I go by that location several times a week and that's the first time I've seen it so it must be new.

Nice. Chinese is about the only international food option not currently in the district.

I wonder what will become of the building near East&West that once housed the ever moving Heck Yeah Coffee Hub. I think it's a cool structure and liked the hanging bike sign. I never stopped in, actually seemed like a social club for the skater/emo crowd more than anything else. How was their coffee?

I wonder what will become of the building near East&West that once housed the ever moving Heck Yeah Coffee Hub. I think it's a cool structure and liked the hanging bike sign. I never stopped in, actually seemed like a social club for the skater/emo crowd more than anything else. How was their coffee?

Also, I see the the former RTA house next to it is still up for rent. I'm not sure what it used to be, a flop house or something? I remember some crazy party there last year. They were always having parties or I even think bands playing there.

Nice. Chinese is about the only international food option not currently in the district.

I'm still hoping for an express Japanese restaurant, if not within walking distance then at least within a short drive. I miss Tin Tin Box and Noodles from when I lived at Fifth and Poplar. It's a bit of an ordeal to take light rail or drive and park downtown for Tin Tin. There is Nikko, but that's not the same - I want some $7 take out hibachi chicken!

Common Market in Southend is having a 'Swine and Wine Tasting' on Thursday night. Yum...$8.50 for a plate with various types of BBQ, sides, and wine as well. We've really been loving this place and the varied entertainment they've been having. This should be some good stuff...

Thanks for the info... I may try to round some people up and go to that. Sure beats Alive after 5 and the MJ tribute! :wacko:

Thanks for the info... I may try to round some people up and go to that. Sure beats Alive after 5 and the MJ tribute! :wacko:

The Live After 5 stuff is fun, but only for a bit and then the mob scene in the whole complex is too much for me. Yes, that is showing my age :) and I'm delighted for Epicentre for the success of all the bars, clubs, and the outdoor venue, but the last couple times we went even the corridors, stairways, and courtyards were packed. We tend to hit the event early then head off to somewhere less congested!

I finally made it to Common Market for lunch the other day... I didn't get anything fancy, just a turkey sandwich but it was good. I couldn't get over their beer selection. It was pretty elaborate. There are some that I don't think I've seen in town before. The patio out back was nice and relaxing. I saw on Facebook they have a Sake/Sushi/Karaoke night on Thursday. Definitely thinking about hitting that up!

I just received an evite today for a grand opening party for 2 new developments in South End. South End Towns and South End Flats.

July 22nd from 430 - 7.

Looks like the party will be located very close to Bland St. Station on that grassy area/parking lot for Canine Cafe. That must be where one of the projects is going?

Pretty smart location though. They'll be able to catch people on their way home from work. Might be worth stopping by.

I often take Camden over to Tremont to avoid traffic during the week, and I have definitely noticed a little more ped activity lately as projects are being completed. Hardly bustling yet but it's great to see the improvement. For awhile the only oasis of activity centered around Phat Burrito and Niche. Glad the footprint is spreading out.

Edited by voyager12