Southend Living

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Its not maintenance, its incompetent construction.

23 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Maintenance is painting. Replacing building facades is completely ridiculous. It's cheap, crap construction built by crap developers who don't give a damn about anything but making a quick buck.

Wow. I didn't realize the quality of construction was that bad. Is this a problem that is unique to Charlotte developers or is it simply a more widespread problem seen in other parts of the country?

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

Wow. I didn't realize the quality of construction was that bad. Is this a problem that is unique to Charlotte developers or is it simply a more widespread problem seen in other parts of the country?

It happens everywhere, it's not unique to Charlotte. 

• 5 weeks later...

The former attorney's office at West & Camden next to R3bound (here: https://goo.gl/maps/CBRPY97aYmr) has a coming soon sign up: Studio Cellar Paint Bar. While I'm a little disappointed that its something that I probably won't personally visit, its a fine use of that space and I'm pretty happy that it will be something active finally. I'm not sure if this corner is one space or two, as this sign is only on the Camden side, and it looks like the door on the West side may be a separate, still available space. 

23 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

The former attorney's office at West & Camden next to R3bound (here: https://goo.gl/maps/CBRPY97aYmr) has a coming soon sign up: Studio Cellar Paint Bar. While I'm a little disappointed that its something that I probably won't personally visit, its a fine use of that space and I'm pretty happy that it will be something active finally. I'm not sure if this corner is one space or two, as this sign is only on the Camden side, and it looks like the door on the West side may be a separate, still available space. 

That's great news! That will do really well in the neighborhood and provide a great entertainment spot for people!

It's the entire space, unless they plan to subdivide, which is possible. The Pinot's Pallate at Atherton didn't last all that long, so I don't know how much better this will do. The business operator bought the building though, so they're going all-in on it. 

1 hour ago, Prodev said:

It's the entire space, unless they plan to subdivide, which is possible. The Pinot's Pallate at Atherton didn't last all that long, so I don't know how much better this will do. The business operator bought the building though, so they're going all-in on it. 

I think location may make a difference, who knows. The Wine Pallet in plaza midwood does VERY well, I think this is a good fit for camden

51 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Central Coffee has officially announced its second location at The Kingston building at Camden & Kingston. This will crush it here.

Is that the old B&O space? Agreed, Camden has needed a legit coffee shop for years now. There used to be a divey-looking coffee shop in one of the old brick buildings torn down for Gallery, but it closed shortly after I moved here and there wasn't that much activity in the area at the time. Pre Common Market.

16 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Is that the old B&O space? Agreed, Camden has needed a legit coffee shop for years now. There used to be a divey-looking coffee shop in one of the old brick buildings torn down for Gallery, but it closed shortly after I moved here and there wasn't that much activity in the area at the time. Pre Common Market.

Right next door to where B&O used to be

Just now, Jayvee said:

Right next door to where B&O used to be

When I was there a couple months ago there were people looking at blue prints inside the B&O Space. I tried to get a peak, but they looked at me like "WTF are you doing." I tried through other avenues to find out what it was going to be, but no luck. Something is definitely happening there as well. 

Well the area will be walk able for people remodeling.... you can drive to the new 27,000 Furguson kitchen & bath gallery at Summit & Kee, park, and then walk to this tile and counter top store in the same trip. I wonder if the landlord managed to increase rent from what they were getting from the Boulevard for a tile and counter store.... or if they made concessions so the space didn't stay vacant.

Edited by CLT2014

6 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Shrug that is a bit of a bummer, however it is a "necessary" kind of shop that does something (a little bit) to round out options of the area.

Yeah but in no way appropriate for a prominent corner spot. It will generate no foot traffic and only complements the Ferguson showroom monstrosity across the street. I don't know much about that industry but think its a pretty dumb move, since most people doing home improvement shopping in Charlotte aren't even going to think about an urban storefront with no dedicated parking. I think within 5 years we'll see most of these disappointing underuses of old spaces in the area changed to more desirable retail. This has already started happening in this building (except for this step backwards), the coffee shop announcement above, a paint bar replacing an attorney's office, etc. The only one I have no confidence about is the ground floor offices that replaced Canine Cafe/Modern Lighting. Seems like they may have the cash to stay put. 

Anybody have an idea how the new Anthropologie is doing at Atherton Mill? Like walking by or going in and seeing high foot traffic? Anthropologie at South Park is usually packed, and there were very long lines at Christmas. Wondering if this store in South End is drawing customers as it is critical it succeeds. If it fails, other national clothing retailers might be hesitant to take the jump away from the traditional malls in Charlotte - especially with how conservative stores tend to be with picking brick and mortar locations in the e-commerce era.

Edited by CLT2014

23 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Well the area will be walk able for people remodeling.... you can drive to the new 27,000 Furguson kitchen & bath gallery at Summit & Kee, park, and then walk to this tile and counter top store in the same trip. I wonder if the landlord managed to increase rent from what they were getting from the Boulevard for a tile and counter store.... or if they made concessions so the space didn't stay vacant.

Looks like it. 

QeURERW.png?1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2015 at 7:53 AM, Jayvee said:

Can't wait to eat at this place. S Church street is shaping up to be awesome

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/13142/satisfy-your-korean-bbq-needs-seoul-food-meat-co-coming-to-south-end/

Looks like Seoul Food will be ready to go soon...

Futobuta, Nikko, and this place are adding some much needed flavor to the neighborhood...

SF.jpg

Can. Not. Wait! I want to try this place so bad.

On a side note, for those that have said Futo Buta is not all that great, I just ate there last week for like the fifteenth time, and after trying a ramen shop in Philly and Co at Park Road Shopping Center, I just have to say that I love this place more than any other (except the ramen shack I went to in Misawa, Japan, where old Japanese women will make you ramen dreams come true).

Anyway, Seoul Food is in walking distance from my office (and where I use to live a year ago, but oh well), so it will most likely become a weekly spot for me, as long as the food stands up to my expectations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...