Southend Living

Food Truck Friday 2.0 at Sycamore and Unknown / Craft.There were 4-5 trucks at Sycamore (the new beer garden tables look good) and 6 trucks at Unknown plus one more up the alley at Craft. The photos were taken at 4:30 so the crowds had not descended yet. The Unknown / Craft setup is problematic (IMO) becuase of the concrete parking lot plus brick walls on both sides means LOTS of generator noise. Adding a couple hundred people might improve the acoustics (old guy now done shaking fist at clouds). Unknown also had a beer tent set up in the parking lot (tent is just visible to the left of their exterior utilities).

The saddest sight was the old FTF lot on Camden -- I kinda wish they continued FTF there until the bitter end.

ftf_syc.jpg

ftf_uk.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Silverfly Sport closed a week or two ago at 1426 S Tryon. It seemed like it was only a matter of time, unfortunately. Also, I just got a notice that By Design is getting ready to close at Atherton. They sent out 20% off cards to nearby residents and it notes that the owner has decided to retire since their leases are up at all their stores.Not sure when they'll be closed, but there's nothing on their actual store saying they're closing just yet. 

5 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Silverfly Sport closed a week or two ago at 1426 S Tryon. It seemed like it was only a matter of time, unfortunately. Also, I just got a notice that By Design is getting ready to close at Atherton. They sent out 20% off cards to nearby residents and it notes that the owner has decided to retire since their leases are up at all their stores.Not sure when they'll be closed, but there's nothing on their actual store saying they're closing just yet. 

Does this and Bonez's closing signal an eminent start for Edens plans for Atherton?

1 hour ago, Prodev said:

Silverfly Sport closed a week or two ago at 1426 S Tryon. It seemed like it was only a matter of time, unfortunately.

This was just a bad fit... I never saw this working. Hope this doesn't signal the future of Ultra Running and Blue Hem at Camden Gallery (although from what I have heard, Blue Hem is off to a surprisingly good start there).

12 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

This was just a bad fit... I never saw this working. Hope this doesn't signal the future of Ultra Running and Blue Hem at Camden Gallery (although from what I have heard, Blue Hem is off to a surprisingly good start there).

Ultra Running Company has a cult following in the running community and honestly, there aren't many places to buy running stuff in South End. They sell in the "in" brands of running shoes (Hoka and Altra) and I would be the south end crowd keeps them in business. 

I don't think it signals anything for the businesses going in the heart of Camden. I don't think Silverfly would have been a bad fit either if it were just a bit more visible, because it isn't much of a destination to drive to but might have gotten a decent amount of curiosity walk ins. Most people aren't expecting any clothing retail past the end of Camden, at least not now with Boulevard and Blush closed, and Canine Cafe and Modern Lighting long gone. 

1 hour ago, Prodev said:

Silverfly Sport closed a week or two ago at 1426 S Tryon. It seemed like it was only a matter of time, unfortunately.

The lack of street front presence has always made the businesses in that building seem a little lopsided. If they reconfigured the entrance to be on the sidewalk/street side, I think it would make a business more successful there, no matter what kind of business it was.

1 hour ago, ScottCLT said:

The lack of street front presence has always made the businesses in that building seem a little lopsided. If they reconfigured the entrance to be on the sidewalk/street side, I think it would make a business more successful there, no matter what kind of business it was.

That building definitely has some potential, but I'm just not sure a soft goods retailer, especially a boutique one, is the right fit.  I keep hoping for an urban winery in Charlotte, and I think this would make a great location for a tasting room / wine bar / gallery / event space.

4 minutes ago, cltcane said:

That building definitely has some potential, but I'm just not sure a soft goods retailer, especially a boutique one, is the right fit.  I keep hoping for an urban winery in Charlotte, and I think this would make a great location for a tasting room / wine bar / gallery / event space.

That exists, its called The Gallery...not quite an extensive wine list, but its a wine bar, gallery and event space

22 minutes ago, cltcane said:

I think that the first bar/restaurant/event space to take a few of those parking spaces and add a patio fronting the street will do just fine there. 

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

He means something more like these concepts. Which by the way, I would have liked over Flight uptown.

https://www.citywinery.com

https://www.redhookwinery.com

Exactly.  Thanks, RDF.  Here are a few more examples (all ones I've visited).  The 44th Street Wine Collective in Boise is really cool.  Three female winemakers (who make some kick-ass wine using grapes grown in the Snake River Valley AVA in Idaho) share winemaking equipment and a tasting room with a lofted event space.

http://sewinecollective.com/

http://www.bluxomewinery.com/

http://bkwinery.com/

http://cinderwines.com/contact-us/

2 minutes ago, cltcane said:

Exactly.  Thanks, RDF.  Here are a few more examples (all ones I've visited).  The 44th Street Wine Collective in Boise is really cool.  Three female winemakers (who make some kick-ass wine using grapes grown in the Snake River Valley AVA in Idaho) share winemaking equipment and a tasting room with a lofted event space.

http://sewinecollective.com/

http://www.bluxomewinery.com/

http://bkwinery.com/

http://cinderwines.com/contact-us/

Aw man. I forgot to mention Brooklyn Winery. Thats my favorite. Have you ever had their white wines that are fermented with the skins? They call them orange wines. SO GOOD. 

Looks like we need to get a glass of wine next time I'm in town.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Aw man. I forgot to mention Brooklyn Winery. Thats my favorite. Have you ever had their white wines that are fermented with the skins? They call them orange wines. SO GOOD. 

Looks like we need to get a glass of wine next time I'm in town.

Yeah, I'm not usually a Chardonnay or Riesling fan, but I like both their skin-fermented Finger Lakes Chardonnay and their barrel-aged Finger Lakes Riesling.  Their North Fork, Long Island red blend is pretty solid too.  And, yes, here or next time I'm up there.  I try to make it to Brooklyn Winery every time I'm in NYC.

I was back at Blaze for the second time in two days (I really like it). The combination of Blaze, sidewalk seating plus the new art / beer place on the opposite corner have turned that intersection into a very appealing place for pedestrians. A few more non officy things over there will turn it into a legit stroll district.

Hats off to David Furman (even the interior of Blaze is slightly interesting too -- its two levels)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kermit said:

I was back at Blaze for the second time in two days (I really like it). The combination of Blaze, sidewalk seating plus the new art / beer place on the opposite corner have turned that intersection into a very appealing place for pedestrians. I few more non officy things over there will turn it into a legit stroll district.

Hats off to David Furman (even the interior of Blaze is slightly interesting too -- its two levels)

Wait until it gets a bar, fast casual italian and a burger n beer joint :ph34r:

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Just back from the CDOT South blvd ped project walking tour. Tonight covered from Bland to East, not much information was given, it was intended to be a public-feedback providing event. I filled out the audit form emphatically, asked some questions and listened to others intently. The 10 or so people who participated generally agreed that traffic calming (more islands, lights and enforcement) was needed. I left knowing that CDOT is thinking a lot about improving ped conditions in the corridor, however the planners who were present spent lots of time explaining why they could not do. Lots of these negative responses were valid, but at times the planners simply surrendered to car culture.

I also left with the sense that planners want to push more foot and bike traffic to the rail trail, but have few plans to expand its (already strained) capacity beyond things like signage and 'changes to the culture.'

Tomorrow night is East to Iverson / Remount.

Interior build out for Central Coffee's south end location has started. I can't imagine it will take too long before they're ready to open. 

I also heard that Edens/Lennar are trying to buy out the remaining tenants at Atherton to be able to start January of next year instead of summer, 

6 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Interior build out for Central Coffee's south end location has started. I can't imagine it will take too long before they're ready to open. 

I also heard that Edens/Lennar are trying to buy out the remaining tenants at Atherton to be able to start January of next year instead of summer, 

Central coffee is saying June :/

And I have heard even earlier than that, but I will go with January

1 hour ago, Prodev said:

Speaking of Lennar, has anyone managed to track down the renderings they showed for their Pepsi Project. I've asked a half dozen people, at lennar, in the media, in various CREs and nobody can produce one for me.

I'm curious what's happening at the Pepsi site b/c they were originally supposed to close last December. My guess is that it could be related to environmental. It's definitely still moving forward, and I heard Beacon will be developing the office there. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, kermit said:

The best thing to ever appear in Charlotte Agenda. They solve the cosmic mystery of Southend smells:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/53494/inside-carolina-foods-commercial-bakery-makes-south-end-smell-like-doughnuts/

They solved it back in March :)

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/42391/whats-that-smell/