Southend Living

I'm really enjoying Icehouse. Very tastefully done inside, great beer selection (only 8 drafts, but something like 150 bottles), very good food. I don't seem to be the only one, either. They've been open a week (grand opening june 15), but the place is already seeing some great crowds.

I'm really enjoying Icehouse. Very tastefully done inside, great beer selection (only 8 drafts, but something like 150 bottles), very good food. I don't seem to be the only one, either. They've been open a week (grand opening june 15), but the place is already seeing some great crowds.

I second that... I went there are on Wed night and can say I became in instant fan. Like you said: Great beer selection! Also like the patio and the fact they have Golden Tee up stairs :)

In the completely unsubstantiated rumor category, posters on the Big Ben facebook page have suggested that they are reopening in either "Southend" or Atherton Mill.

My fingers are crossed, I would love to see it here.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charlotte-NC/Big-Ben-British-Restaurant-and-Pub/137241532030?ref=mf

On an event note, Art & Soul of South End has been evolved into South End Soul, which will take place on June 18 & 19. Friday will include sidewalk sales, bike tours, etc. The culmination of Friday will be a pecha kucha style creative discussion at Dharma with 4 speakers followed by a pub crawl. Free cover to Dharma, Apostrophe, Common Market, On The Roxx, Tutto Mondo, Gin Mill & Tavern on the Tracks.

Saturday morning starts off with a Gallery Crawl and continued retail and creative involvement. Redbull Manny Mania (touring skateboarding exhibition) will set up in front of Black Sheep and run from 10-4. Throughout the day will be residential and district tours.

Saturday night wraps up with Savor South End. This is a ticketed event ($50) that includes an open cocktail hour (featuring 42Below Vodka, Bacardi & Starr Hill Brewery), family style dinner al fresco (from Carrabbas, Common Market, Icehouse, The Liberty, Pewter Rose & Sullivans). Also included is admission to the after party & fashion show at Dharma. The fashion show (Fashion Soul) is being organized by J Studio and will involve Escape, Bentala & Cirrus Salons).

I have also heard that Common Market will have Kabarett Vulgare on one of the nights. I saw their show during Craft Beer Week at CM. It was pretty out there, but definitely worth checking out for pure shock factor.

Event Website: http://www.findyourcenter.com/things-to-do/signature-event/21/south-end-soul/

Thanks for the info,sounds like a lot of fun. The prior incarnation was geared too much to the stroller set and no one else. This event sounds much more current and in keeping with the area's vibe.

.....AA is having a factory sale this weekend, nothing above $25 and some under 10.

Are they going to have the booths set up along Camden this year? I enjoyed being able to browse the different area artists and their offerings. What about live music out in the public areas, like Park & Camden? This seems basically like a business tour... which is not that exciting.

The booths on Camden will not appear this year. The main reason why is that most of those artists/vendors are not from South End. The new event is meant to better showcase the neighborhood and its amenities as a creative haven in Charlotte. See official wording from CCCP:

Savor South End runs from 6-9pm with cocktail hour kicking off at 6pm and dinner outside from 7:30-9pm. Tickets for Savor South End are available online at www.findyourcenter.com for $50.00 which includes cocktails, beer, an outside community dinner and a fashion show at Dharma Lounge. CCCP has partnered with the Community Culinary School of Charlotte (501c3) with a portion of the proceeds from the event going to the school. We’re happy to be helping support the school’s mission of providing training and job search assistance in the food service industry for people who are chronically unemployed and underemployed. Ticket also includes after party, fashion show and art auction from 9-11pm at Dharma Lounge!

This event is the Grand Finale of our larger event South End Soul, Charlotte’s Creative Festival, an annual event to celebrate Historic South End as the creative district of Charlotte. The Festival creates a unique opportunity for visitors to experience a variety of specific events and activities reflecting the diversity of design talent in the District. We will throw open the doors on the design businesses, stores, restaurants and urban living opportunities that make South End a creative hotbed and a great place to live, work, learn, shop and play!

Very exciting. And makes a lot of sense to me. This event will do much to solidify Southend's brand. We don't have too many parts of town that have distinct character and we need to build on and support neighborhoods that do. I might not spring for the party but will definitely make a point of going to the festival and supporting the joints that make Camden cool..

Edited by Forrest

I have new clients for my dog walkng gig in Southend. Have definitely noticed the increased foot traffic along South and Tryon/Camden. The area is really starting to feel more like a cohesive neighborhood. Additional walkable retail is still needed, the 24/hr diner should be a hit when it opens.

I second that... I went there are on Wed night and can say I became in instant fan. Like you said: Great beer selection! Also like the patio and the fact they have Golden Tee up stairs :)

Agreed, they haven't been open a month yet and I've probably already been 4 times. Pretty diverse menu for this type of place, an almost overwhelming beer selection, quality build out, TVs everywhere, and lemme tell ya, the White Zombie on draft is the absolute bomb on a hot day. I heard it was nuts in there for the USA/Algeria game yesterday morning, too.

Haven't had the opportunity to enjoy the patio yet thanks to the miserable heat, but they did a fantastic job with the new canopy. I can't imagine how cool it will be come Panthers season to hang out there pre-game before walking over to light rail to go uptown.

They just got their website up, so check out the menu and head on out there - you will not be disappointed!

My link

I went by the new Atherton Mill Market on Saturday... Needless to say my wife and I dropped some serious cash. We picked up fish, desserts, bread and some of the premade meals they had there. We got the Triggerfish and grilled it over the weekend. First time I ever had that fish and can say we both loved it. Duke's bakery had some great bread and the desserts we got (some cheesecakes) were awesome. Will definitely be going back there. We went there at around 11:30 and it was pretty busy, both inside and outside. I can definitely see this market taking off once more vendors are added (they are maybe only using 60-70% of the space now). The only thing that it lacked was a good selection of veggies and fruit, which is something I'd expect to see from a city market. I could also see someone else capitalizing on the foot traffic here. Icehouse will definitely add to it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add some music outside as well...

Definitely no shortage of fruit and veggies at the Atherton Market now! This is the weekend for blueberries and peaches, and the beginning of the tomatoes. The Atherton Market will also have live music most weekends, including tomorrow (Saturday, the 26th). Tuesdays are worth checking out too. The Atherton is open on Tuesdays from 11:30 am to 6:30 pm, and several of the vendors are offering tasty lunch items made with local ingredients. Next Tuesday there will be a good selection of savory pastries, sandwiches, salads, and some cold soups. It is surprisingly cool in the building thanks to the "Big Ass Fans." Some of the farms don't load in until later in the day, so there is always a fresh selection of fruit, veggies, and meat.

If you haven't been yet - the rundown for this Saturday includes the aforementioned fruit and veggies, all kinds of pastured meat (including local organic beef), eggs, artisan baked breads, sweets, pickles, soap and other bath products, jewelry, chair massage, knife sharpening, flowers, cheeses, SEAFOOD (just wanted to call that out), prepared foods, fresh roasted NC peanuts, artisanal chocolates, fresh pasta, jams, lots of honey, coffee, and probably some things I don't even know about yet. You can also take a bike tour or a Segway ride from the Atherton Market via Charlotte NC Tours.

If you can't find something you are looking for, find me, the market manager, and I'll either tell you when to expect it or why you can't. - Lynn Caldwell

• 3 weeks later...

In the completely unsubstantiated rumor category, posters on the Big Ben facebook page have suggested that they are reopening in either "Southend" or Atherton Mill.

My fingers are crossed, I would love to see it here.

http://www.facebook....41532030?ref=mf

Unsubstantiated rumor verified:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/12/1558660/popular-pub-will-reopen-in-a-new.html

Nice momentum in Southend

Construction contractor Balfour Beatty, which acquired Charlotte-based RT Dooley not long ago, is moving their office from one of the office parks off Tyvola to the Design Center in Southend.

This is quite a coup for Southend. I think it may provide the kind of name recognition it needs to really drive leases in the other office spaces available in the area.

via http://cltblog.com/8205

Construction contractor Balfour Beatty, which acquired Charlotte-based RT Dooley not long ago, is moving their office from one of the office parks off Tyvola to the Design Center in Southend.

This is quite a coup for Southend. I think it may provide the kind of name recognition it needs to really drive leases in the other office spaces available in the area.

via http://cltblog.com/8205

This is awesome. Southend really seems to be grabbing momentum. Between all the residential units that have gone up (and filling up), the resurrection of Atherton Mill and now this. I wouldn't be surprised to see more businesses opening up in this area of town.

Edited by dbull75

Pecha Kucha at Dharma was a lot of fun last night. Good crowd although it was a little toasty in there. A few of the presentations were not exactly my thing but that's the whole point of going. You never know what you are going to see. Any other Urban Planeteers go?

Great news about Big Ben's. Does anyone know which spot in the Atherton Mill complex they will take?

It looks like they're going into the spot formerly occupied by "Dilworth's Little Secret" (which moved) right at the corner of the tracks and Tremont. That'll give them outstanding access to the blue line, and it looks like a nice space to boot.

Also, "The Diner" looks like it's getting very close to a debut. Landscaping is in (which, unfortunately, looks very suburban), and a cool sign was put up along Carson today. Can't wait for this one to open up!

yeah, i was really disappointed to see a noodly thin sidewalk with grass on BOTH sides, but the sign does look great. i thought it was going to be called "midnight diner".

anyway i think we're going to see both diners open within a month of each other. seems less than ideal, but i'm guessing that Mattie's is counting on the crowd that's already at NCMF, and this one will be a broader attraction.

• 2 weeks later...