Southend Living

• 2 weeks later...

The former Niche location is already well under construction to become something else. I wonder what it will be? The only sign says that it's being done by "Git'R Done Construction," which I find a bit funny for this neighborhood.

On another note, Food Trucks are setting up now in the empty lot across on Friday nights. It's awesome! There are 6-7 there offering a nice variety of food, and you can bring it to Common Market and have a beer with your meal. I have done this for the past 2 Fridays and I see it becoming a weekly ritual for me.

Probably seen you there, haha. I hope this is a spring/summer-long routine for the food trucks from now on. Perfect use of that lot until it gets developed!

As for the niche space, I'm not sure if any non clothing or gift type store makes sense there, except for maaaybe (and I know I harp on this a lot for southend) the possibility of outfitting it for a coffee shop.

Edited by nonillogical

Looks like it's going to be a boutique called "Blush". There's a sign in the window now.

Its an organic makeup store owned by a 17 year old high school student. There was an article in either the CBJ or the Charlotte Observer.

http://clclt.com/qcafterdark/archives/2012/03/13/a-whole-new-world-of-beer

World of Beer opens March 24. I didn't know that the concept behind this place involved no food and no liquor, but I think its kind of awesome! That, and the lack of any lame mainstream beers like Bud and Miller almost ensures that it will be a good crowd and won't become your typical bland sports bar with a larger than average beer menu (I'm looking at you, taco mac). I just didn't know a license for such a place existed in NC. Maybe its the no liquor part that allows them to get away with no food without going the 'private club' route. Can't wait to try it.

^

Yup, North Carolina's byzatine liquor laws require that food make up at least 20% (?) of total sales in order to sell liquor by the drink in a business which is open to the public. I think this law explains the high volume of bad bar food in the state.

On another note: a clothing boutique (The Benjamin Bear (?)) has opened at East/West and Camden. (see below for correction -- thanks non)

http://obswhatsinsto...ue-open-on.html

Edited by kermit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A couple of random observations:

Crispy Crepe has a website up (no menu yet but it looks good):

Modern Fabrics, the trolly measuem and the art gallery on Camden all had big doors open to the street today. While the effort ot engage with the neighborhood only had mixed success (not many people were out) it did substantially change the feel of Camden around lunch time.

• 2 weeks later...

Its an organic makeup store owned by a 17 year old high school student. There was an article in either the CBJ or the Charlotte Observer.

Actually, that's a different store...Blush is a clothing boutique that will open up June 1. They took down the paper on the windows today. The makeup store owned by the 17 year old is called The Duchess Boutique, and it's down the road on Camden near the strip of buildings with the UPS store.

http://theduchessboutique.blogspot.com/

Zucca Pizza Tavern is now open in Atherton Mill (across the parking lot from the market / Icehouse). I have not tried it yet, but walking by it looks a bit more upscale than I would expect from a 'pizza tavern.' They have some covered patio space facing the parking lot and a full bar. I suspect this will be a challenging location since it has zero visibility from the street in addition to no visibility from the LRT. The lack of a pedestrian crossing over the LRT also cuts down on activity in the area (I had to jump the fence today to take a look at progress at Zucca)

The website sugests that they are a naicent chain based in Atlanta:

I do hope they suceed, it would make a big difference to the hood if Atherton Mill had more even activity patterns (instead of ocasional spikes from the Icehouse and the Market).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brewing vats were going into Tripple C Brewing today. Nice to see steady progress here.

SoBern was very busy this afternoon -- very few spots to park although most of the spaces were filled with construction worker parking.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I went to All American Pub tonight. Despite the generic-sounding name, it was pretty awesome. The interior nice - tons of TVs, some of which I swear were 70"+. It was very clean and spacious - it felt new, but not too new. Food was great - we had the Fried Pepper Jack Sticks (which were honestly the best cheese sticks I have ever had - spicy, seemingly hand-breaded, and with a great marinara for dipping), a Philly Cheesesteak (very good, not great), and the Drunken Fiery Burger (which included beer cheese and deep-fried jalapenos, and my wife absolutely loved). Great draft beer selection including specials tonight on NC drafts for $3.00. The place was very busy - it apparently has already become a neighborhood hangout. An for a good reason - great food, great beer, great atmosphere. Loved it, and it will become a regular spot for us.

^ Nice! I really want to see another space oriented to the lightrail instead of a street be able to succeed. That cajun place in Circle on the other side may come to depend on that symbiotic relationship actually (which incidentally has signage up, but the interior still looks a long ways from opening).

Anyway this is a much better fit than the short-lived Lux was, although I thought Gillians before it was a cool concept that should have worked out better than it did.

All American Pub only took up maybe 1/3 the space, and there are still other entrances that are unoccupied. So it would be nice to see the rest of the Jillians building was split up into a few other little neighborhood joints facing the tracks, too. This could maybe turn into a stretch of 4 or 5 bars/restaurants in a row. Then add Amos', Gin Mill, and Tavern on the Tracks, Bite Your Tongue, and World of Beer and you've got yourself a little dining/nightlife district!

All American Pub only took up maybe 1/3 the space, and there are still other entrances that are unoccupied. So it would be nice to see the rest of the Jillians building was split up into a few other little neighborhood joints facing the tracks, too. This could maybe turn into a stretch of 4 or 5 bars/restaurants in a row. Then add Amos', Gin Mill, and Tavern on the Tracks, Bite Your Tongue, and World of Beer and you've got yourself a little dining/nightlife district!

You forgot the Crepe place :)