Southend Living

On 9/7/2018 at 9:15 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to come down for a UP meet up, we will be at the new common market at 830pm tomorrow. I'm pretty recognizable look for this guy. Shouldn't be quite as sunburned or giving kissy faces.

38784227_10102293349900607_1325834598726238208_o.jpg

Confession - For the first couple of years I followed UP, I thought ricky_davis_fan_21 was the lady in all the photos.

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...
22 hours ago, kermit said:

I know what you mean. As I stood in front of it to type the original post I got sad that the news wasn't more exciting. They have expanded into irrelevance.

Not for folks who live in Southend.  I went this weekend and it was packed. 

I actually disagree.  I think that this chain has expanded into a Charlotte staple from being a neighborhood gem.  

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 3:15 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

How far can this local chain extend itself??

I think it can extend itself to about the level it's at now in Charlotte, possibly a handful of additional locations around the city. 

Their ambitions seem to lie in franchising, which makes less sense to me. I don't see this as being a brand you'd want to franchise, but with the brand they've built in Charlotte (and solid, to solid-plus food), they'll continue to do well here. 

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I mean, Sabor is great. And a local chain is better than any other chain. It's nice to be on either end of the metro and know I'll have decent quality from a name I recognize. It's just surprising to see!

Agree, it’s lame this South End one is only open til 9pm. Wtf. They’re almost all open until 10

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, kermit said:

The Waterman in the new Sedgefield SC is now open. It didnt look busy last night, I guess they forgot to pay their Charlotte Agenda bill.

They did I think it was in October actually!  FWIW a few friends have tried to go and said it was always a longer wait then they cared to stay for. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/130721/the-waterman-seafood-oysters-restaurant-and-bar-design/

On 12/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

They did I think it was in October actually!  FWIW a few friends have tried to go and said it was always a longer wait then they cared to stay for. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/130721/the-waterman-seafood-oysters-restaurant-and-bar-design/

I ate there. I only had a basic fried seafood platter, so nothing all that special, but I found it completely unremarkable.

• 4 weeks later...

Poppies Bagel’s is going strong. They are relatively efficient but it can get uncomfortably crowded on the weekends already and parking can be impossible. The crowding just reinforces the huge shortage of decent breakfast places in CLT.  Their is Bezos-level money awaiting the person who gets to open that Southend Waffle House.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Saturday around 1pm my friends and I walked along the rail trail and I felt like I was in a completely different city! Talk about density!!  Huge difference from 2 to 3 years ago.  There were literally hundreds of people walking and jogging, cycling, etc.  

I 2nd that notion.  I walked the trail Saturday from 4:30 to 6:30pm and it was packed too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Saturday around 1pm my friends and I walked along the rail trail and I felt like I was in a completely different city! Talk about density!!  Huge difference from 2 to 3 years ago.  There were literally hundreds of people walking and jogging, cycling, etc.  

I also walked the rail trail on Saturday and was nearly run over by at least 5 different packs of scooter riding bros.

54 minutes ago, hambone931 said:

I also walked the rail trail on Saturday and was nearly run over by at least 5 different packs of scooter riding bros.

I counted nearly 50 scooters parked in an orderly fashion on the trail outside Suffolk on Sunday at 5pm.   Maybe a dozen more lime bikes.   It’s only going to get better and worse in the spring.