Southend Living

1 hour ago, wilmore said:

if i've found the right listing (it seems to fit), they claim to be making $20K/month in profits. i don't understand how that could possibly be the case unless they massively frontloaded inventory. (always gotta be careful with these broker-offered businesses) the rent is only $4K/month though! 

Yeah if you are generating $20k a month in real profits, you aren’t closing down while you market the business 

Edited by Bruco72
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

per their instagram but without many details, Max & Lola's seems to be reopening under new ownership. Some commenters discussing how the former owners "lost" it, not sure exactly what happened there. The page doesn't mention CBD so we'll see if they bring that back, the new paint job is looking nice at least and there has been some activity inside in recent weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pins Mechanical, quick review:

1) big

2) righteous view of uptown 

3) uninspired beer selection

4) the most expensive drinks in town ($10 bucks for a Jucy Jay — Gezzus). This is the most I have —ever— paid for a local pint!

5) the abovementioned Juicy Jay was a bongwater batch

6) they will do fine here

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, kermit said:

1) big

4) the most expensive drinks in town ($10 bucks for a Jucy Jay — Gezzus). This is the most I have —ever— paid for a local pint!

Beer selection is super uninspired but if you want an ultra crafty menu, go to pop the top. This isn’t the place so I wasn’t surprised by that. They need crowd pleasers kinda beer. But yeah that’s a ton of $$ that’s like spindle bar bar. I really liked the cocktails though. Those were only $10. 

I love this place. It will crush

I was at Midwood Smokehouse and ordered Juicy Jay. It was off-taste. I told the waiter I declined the glass and he said he would tell the manager. Said manager came shortly with "another" glass. I asked if it was from the same tap and keg. He said yes. I looked at him with wonder. i then took a sip and declined what may have been my original draw.

Also the bill for the beer was on my tab until corrected.

Comet Grill, my regular place, carried Juicy for a time and then dropped it for inconsistency. They have more recently resumed carry and a try or two by me found no issues.

15 hours ago, kermit said:

1) big

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I was at Midwood Smokehouse and ordered Juicy Jay. It was off-taste. I told the waiter I declined the glass and he said he would tell the manager. Said manager came shortly with "another" glass. I asked if it was from the same tap and keg. He said yes. I looked at him with wonder. i then took a sip and declined what may have been my original draw.

Taking it further off topic, but I'm not surprised at this service experience. Midwood Smokehouse started with such promise. But it really feels like a chain restaurant these days.  

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Pins on Saturday night for a friend's birthday. Easily over a thousand people in there, mostly 20-somethings. It's a really big space and they fill it with a lot of things to do without making it feel too packed. They're going to make a TON of money there, it's going to be a huge hit I think. Definitely not a place to go if you want a quiet time playing duckpin bowling with friends, although it'll be less crazy during the week I'm sure. But on the weekend it's a big party.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Went to Pins on Saturday night for a friend's birthday. Easily over a thousand people in there, mostly 20-somethings. It's a really big space and they fill it with a lot of things to do without making it feel too packed. They're going to make a TON of money there, it's going to be a huge hit I think. Definitely not a place to go if you want a quiet time playing duckpin bowling with friends, although it'll be less crazy during the week I'm sure. But on the weekend it's a big party.

Went the day after Christmas and got to Common Market right around 3:30 to grab a beer before heading over and there was a line already forming outside for Pins to open at 4.  My wife and I were second in line to get a lane for bowling but by the time we were done checking in and got to our lane easily 100+ people were already inside within 10-15 minutes.  Granted everyone was off and probably a bit stir crazy but that's still pretty impressive.  Having been to the one in Dublin, Ohio before this one day seem way bigger and more open.  Definitely a lot of fun and the initially reported $10 beer is at least a tall so bigger than the average pint at least

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Went the day after Christmas and got to Common Market right around 3:30 to grab a beer before heading over and there was a line already forming outside for Pins to open at 4.  My wife and I were second in line to get a lane for bowling but by the time we were done checking in and got to our lane easily 100+ people were already inside within 10-15 minutes.  Granted everyone was off and probably a bit stir crazy but that's still pretty impressive.  Having been to the one in Dublin, Ohio before this one day seem way bigger and more open.  Definitely a lot of fun and the initially reported $10 beer is at least a tall so bigger than the average pint at least

I think the nice weather helped a lot too, their outdoor spaces are great and that rooftop bar area has a really good view. When it's consistently warmer it'll be bonkers all the time.

EDIT: forgot to add that their card readers at the bars were going in and out so for a while they were only accepting cash and people were still waiting in line 3-deep all around all 3 bars to get drinks all night long.

Edited by Madison Parkitect

On 12/30/2019 at 10:58 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Hey my wife and I did the exact same thing that day! We sat at bar at Common Market and then went over right when they opened. 

Our impression was there were lots of kids around because of the holiday, the beer was pricey and the shoot button on the Galaga machine was not working right.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigacito said:

the beer was pricey and the shoot button on the Galaga machine was not working right.

Game condition at Pins is awful. I was there on their first day, about an hour after they opened. The joystick on Donkey Kong was already busted and all three of the pinball machines I played were not leveled properly. Went back once or twice after opening day to find all the problems above plus three or four more sticky buttons / bad controllers. I know the place has been crushed, but keeping up with basic maintenance is important, and with the right parts supply, easy. Since they opened before everything was in working condition it appears they view their games more as decoration than for entertainment.

At the risk of pitching, Palmer St. does a great job keeping its games in good shape (and the beer is cheaper!)

[it appears I have a limitless capacity to rant against car culture and sticky Galaga firing buttons]

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 4

The crowds at lost and found and pins are IMPRESSIVE. Maybe it's just the newest and hottest thing but these two places are where everyone wants to be in the 20-30 crowd. Literally half of my social feed was at Pins yesterday. Uptown is an afterthought. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Crown said:

The crowds at lost and found and pins are IMPRESSIVE. Maybe it's just the newest and hottest thing but these two places are where everyone wants to be in the 20-30 crowd. Literally half of my social feed was at Pins yesterday. Uptown is an afterthought. 

So true to all three things. Those places are nuts (pins I get, lost & found I do not, it’s nothing special other than instagrammable). Uptown was roaring back just a few years ago, but now is stale again. 

26 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

So true to all three things. Those places are nuts (pins I get, lost & found I do not, it’s nothing special other than instagrammable). Uptown was roaring back just a few years ago, but now is stale again. 

Edited by Crown
TMI and personal gripe sorry 
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...