Southend Living

6 hours ago, kermit said:

My hat is tipped to QC Pour House for opening at 11:30 everyday (Charlotte is an awful town for day drinking). Unfortunately I have never seen more than two people in there before 4pm on a weekday. I wish them luck (and I'll try to drink the day away in there soon).

They’ve been crushing it. And I disagree!! I love day drinking in CLT

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This is a little unusual for this thread and purely anecdotal, but something weird is happening with Appendicitis in South End.

• 2.5 years ago my girlfriend-at-the-time's roommate had Appendicitis.
  • 3 months later, so did my girlfriend
  • Just this morning, my current girlfriend called me and is at urgent care with her roommate, who now has all of the symptoms of acute Appendicitis.

3 young women, all between the ages of 22-25, all living between New Bern and East/West stations on the light rail.

The first two I completely chalked up to coincidence, but at this point I half expect a trip with my current girlfriend to the ER in the next 6 months. Weird.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, DH17 said:

This is a little unusual for this thread and purely anecdotal, but something weird is happening with Appendicitis in South End.

• 2.5 years ago my girlfriend-at-the-time's roommate had Appendicitis.
  • 3 months later, so did my girlfriend
  • Just this morning, my current girlfriend called me and is at urgent care with her roommate, who now has all of the symptoms of acute Appendicitis.

3 young women, all between the ages of 22-25, all living between New Bern and East/West stations on the light rail.

The first two I completely chalked up to coincidence, but at this point I half expect a trip with my current girlfriend to the ER in the next 6 months. Weird.

Gotta be coincidental. That’s not a contagious disease. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jt282506 said:

Gotta be coincidental. That’s not a contagious disease. 

Oh I agree, entirely not contagious. I was wondering if there could be anything environmental somewhere, but I know it's more or less a solitary ticking time-bomb that usually never goes off.

Weird.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

With Phat Burrito looking for a space around 2,200 square feet I (selfishly) would love to see someone retro fit this location into a restaurant/bottle shop.  Maybe Phat Burrito could make it happen and join forces with Zack's

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/233171/phat-burrito-is-coming-back-it-just-needs-to-find-the-right-space/

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1887979,-80.8755691,3a,41.2y,150.9h,87.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAtvF0t8BSy5PuIdecz30CQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DAtvF0t8BSy5PuIdecz30CQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D134.86098%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Edit: Or if they want a less "on the corner" location, the Brown Dog folks seemed to shutter their location after some controversy.  But this is roughly the same size they're looking for and a building owned by the family that owns Zack's.  This building is 2,212 square feet

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1880495,-80.8737747,3a,75y,206.34h,89.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7WgzHDO9pfrzQKx7J1ZAwg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have not yet seen this Atlanta street in person, but dang. Imagine this in Southend (perhaps on Mint). Who ever the lucky owner of the Southend WH is, I'll bet they could afford to build the new Panthers Stadium after a couple of weekends of operations.

I have casually looked into getting the WH franchise rights, but they only give new ones to existing owners (or you gotta know the right people I suppose)

Photo by Darin Givens  @atlurbanist

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Waffle House has a handful of "urban" locations in Atlanta. I've never seen them do that in any other cities. There's another one in downtown Decatur (speaking of Southend, right next to a Jenni's ice cream) 515 N McDonough St - Google Maps

They have quite a few urban locations, I have seen them in Athens, Chapel Hill and Wilmington. Unfortunately, in my experience, the urban WH have been disappointing (in that way that WH can be sometimes).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Notice 2 apartment complexes along the Rail Trail going through some renovation work mainly around the windows at both Spectrum Southend not pictures and Camden apartments next to Publix.  Must be flashing issues.  Spectrum is actually removing and replacing brick rows around the bottoms of the windows. 

IMG_8812.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

…Must be flashing issues.  Spectrum is actually removing and replacing brick rows around the bottoms of the windows. 

IMG_8812.JPG

This has happened in just about every Southend multi family building. I don’t understand why this is such a consistent design / construction issue.

4 minutes ago, kermit said:

This has happened in just about every Southend multi family building. I don’t understand why this is such a consistent design / construction issue.

Neither do I. I understand this happens but almost every apartment complex recently built in Southend has had what I would call major repairs done to the exterior. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kermit said:

I suspect this is happening because developers try to save pennies at every opportunity at the expense of quality (style over substance) and gambling on there being no problems before their liability runs out . . . also I believe some developers create a separate entity for developing each building which is dissolved at the completion of the project. I'm in a building completed 10 years ago. The entities that built this building no longer exist but the developer is still building in Charlotte. We are about to undertake a substantial project to replace the siding on the buildings on property because the developer did not install the siding or flashing correctly. There is no entity to hold accountable for this and there was no entity to hold accountable because it was dissolved at the completion of the building (by design).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2