Southend Living

9 minutes ago, davidclt said:

I suspect this is happening because developers try to save pennies at every opportunity at the expense of quality (style over substance) and gambling on there being no problems before their liability runs out . . . also I believe some developers create a separate entity for developing each building which is dissolved at the completion of the project. I'm in a building completed 10 years ago. The entities that built this building no longer exist but the developer is still building in Charlotte. We are about to undertake a substantial project to replace the siding on the buildings on property because the developer did not install the siding or flashing correctly. There is no entity to hold accountable for this and there was no entity to hold accountable because it was dissolved at the completion of the building (by design).

I know of a development in NoDa that I'm pretty sure was successful in getting money from the original developer to fix some major defects, despite the LLC nonsense. I assume apartment companies that buy from developers are savvy enough to deal with this problem, but in the NoDa case it was an owner-controlled association that had to make it happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davidclt said:

We are about to undertake a substantial project to replace the siding on the buildings on property because the developer did not install the siding or flashing correctly. 

We went through that not long ago in a small townhome community. In our case I suspect it was low bid subcontractors, given insufficient guidance and little oversight.  Fortunately a handful of owners were actively pursuing warranty work and kept the builder engaged to fix flashing/window/siding problems as long as 2 years after completion. We went as far as getting some repair quotes from qualified people to have in-hand and understand what we were facing. They pointed out plenty of problems. About a third of the units were rental at that point and we suspected that the same defects present on the repaired buildings would also be going on with the others, but they just weren't being reported or pursued by the tenants and owners. So it seemed like there would be even costlier repairs in the future (don't ignore water intrusion, people!), or a bigger fight with the builder. 

The market was plenty hot, so I decided to get out. Didn't want to be on the hook with the HOA when myriad other problems come home to roost. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I know of a development in NoDa that I'm pretty sure was successful in getting money from the original developer to fix some major defects, despite the LLC nonsense. I assume apartment companies that buy from developers are savvy enough to deal with this problem, but in the NoDa case it was an owner-controlled association that had to make it happen.

Tiggered, that was one messy lawsuit/repair situation.

3 hours ago, slipperypete said:

We went through that not long ago in a small townhome community. In our case I suspect it was low bid subcontractors, given insufficient guidance and little oversight.  Fortunately a handful of owners were actively pursuing warranty work and kept the builder engaged to fix flashing/window/siding problems as long as 2 years after completion. We went as far as getting some repair quotes from qualified people to have in-hand and understand what we were facing. They pointed out plenty of problems. About a third of the units were rental at that point and we suspected that the same defects present on the repaired buildings would also be going on with the others, but they just weren't being reported or pursued by the tenants and owners. So it seemed like there would be even costlier repairs in the future (don't ignore water intrusion, people!), or a bigger fight with the builder. 

The market was plenty hot, so I decided to get out. Didn't want to be on the hook with the HOA when myriad other problems come home to roost. 

Here are pictures from my Wall of Woe™.  I fear this is the tip of the proverbial iceberg for our property

20200605_112432.jpg

20200605_112032.jpg

• Sad 6

4 hours ago, InTheYear2000 said:

Tiggered, that was one messy lawsuit/repair situation.

Heh, I moved from there in the early stages of the lawsuit (but not because of the lawsuit). We paid the first assessment for the emergency repairs. I never knew the final details, but it's a good community and I hope they got that builder to pay up to fix everything they obviously f&d up. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Has there ever been a masterplan for South Blvd. done?  It is such a frustrating piece meal stretch of road.  I understand there is constant construction but even amongst nearly all of the recently completed projects there are variations and I just don't understand why.  There is the strange jutted out spot in front of Solis, a fifty or so foot stretch of bike lane outside of Maddox South End ending at Poindexter but no bike lane on the other side of that, street parking with some projects and not with others.  And all of this mixed in with spots of the old and extremely narrow "pre-boom" South Blvd.  It really does seem like it is the wild west here and the sheriff has left town.  What gives? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Has there ever been a masterplan for South Blvd. done?

CDOT with funding from South End ( Center City Partners) put this out a few years ago: https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Documents/FinalReportandRecommendations.pdf

The South End vision plan covers the road as well. https://ctycms.com/nc-charlotte-south-end/docs/sevp-final-for-web.pdf

As for the haphazard nature of the street that ties back to the city waiting on developers to improve the area in front of their development. But then the city over the years change the road right of way, bike lane requirements , sidewalk widths, planting strips, etc and you get what South Blvd is today. I’d love to see the city spend Capital Improvement dollars in South End to improve S Tryon and South Blvd. Along with with the Rail Trial and the interior streets of Hawkins, Rampart, Dunavant, Distribution, and others.

• Like 4

Thanks for those.  Did a quick glance but won't be able to dig further into them until later.  The final recommendation and adoption(?) was in June of 2017, but many of the projects with the inconsistencies have been completed since then right?  So what was the point of the study?  You would think any building completed after 2017 would be required to meet the near term goal as described in the plan, but to the average person passing through there it seems like they are allowed to build it however they want.  Is street parking an option?  It doesn't seem so thumbing through the powerpoint but the on-the-ground experience suggests otherwise.  I don't know but I must be missing something here.  It feels like money was spent on this study but nobody is required to go along with it. 

17 hours ago, kermit said:

according to Google Maps this is the new occupant of the Salty Parrot building: (the graphic appears to be the totality of their web presence???)

They were in there before Salty Parrot closed and even sold it on draft there. I've seen it bottled in a few local restaurants as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the South End Chick-fil-A is adding a second drive through lane. Hopefully, this will help with the traffic back ups. 

CFA # 2044 South End
Existing one story Chick-fil-A to have parking and drive-thru area adjusted for additional drive-thru lane. dumpster to be demolished and replaced.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hambone931 said:

It looks like the South End Chick-fil-A is adding a second drive through lane. Hopefully, this will help with the traffic back ups. 

CFA # 2044 South End
Existing one story Chick-fil-A to have parking and drive-thru area adjusted for additional drive-thru lane. dumpster to be demolished and replaced.

The extra capacity will help keep cars from blocking South Blvd and are much needed. But the city should still request they provide a permanent walk up and order window as a trade off to the extra drive thru capacity in South End.

• Thanks 1

Rather than more drive-thru lanes, I wish we could knock the whole thing down and get an urban format Chick-fil-a for South End without a drive-thru. There are plenty of retail spots in South End that would be a great fit and have parking for those that have a car and want to do curbside pickup. The Chick fil a somewhat acts as a suburban wall between South End and Lower South End. 
Urban format:
chick-fil-a-inner-harbor.jpg

Or leave that one and add another one more north with a more urban format. If it’s so busy then its probably because its the only one in at least a 1.5 mi radius of the current one…
  • Like 3

The density doesn’t justify an urban format chick-fil-a. For now. Maybe when there are more office workers there could be a drive-thru less urban format one that captures a lot of the office lunch crowd. 

Chick-Fil-A would lose customers in SouthEnd if they got rid of their drive-thru and an urban format simply wouldn’t capture the revenue a suburban format one could in SouthEnd. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

In response to the confused reaction;

SouthEnd and surrounding area doesn’t justify the density of a chick-fil-a by far over a drive-thru (maybe if office developments keep occurring, a chick-fil-a opened until 5pm comes to the base of a building)

The chick-fil-a attracts customers from all over SouthEnd, and uptown, Dilworth, etc. it’s a pretty auto-oriented catchment area. 

28203  is around 3,150 People per Sq. Mile (SouthEnd, Dilworth, Wilmore, Brookhill) and represents 3.32 miles. A population of about 20,000 people - I would guess - is when chick-fil-a would open a drive thru-less store more frequently & without city ordinances (outside of huge workforce that closes early or in an airport or school) 

But I’m open to being schooled. I just think You’re going to be leaving a lot of money on the table with no drive thru. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Well, the Overstreet CFA has remained open through virtually the entire pandemic when Uptown's population was arguably less than Southend's.

The one currently closed on Saturday & Sunday and only open until 3pm on weekdays (and open only until 11am on Thursday?)

There is also the Chick-Fil-A in Gateway with no drive-thru open until 2pm on weekdays and closes on weekends. 

So obviously those two fall under scenarios I’d describe as times chick-fil-a likely wouldn’t have a drive-thru (airports/malls/train stations or limited hour locations for office workers, University students or in areas where the population density is around 20,000+ or local ordinance prohibits drive-thru’s but still have a density of around 10,000.

Uptowns population would have to have completely collapsed super, super bad to be less than SouthEnd. That is huge news if uptown’s population decreased over 50%. Uptown most likely had a larger population the entirety of the pandemic. 

& to be one that doesn’t just poo poo things but also has ideas, an urban format like the Chick-fil-A East Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, CA is a nice urban format that has a drive thru and would be nice for SouthEnd. 

spacer.png

Which is really no different than the Lowe’s or Publix which while primarily serves vehicles, it helps the urbanity in an area (even if it does serve a lot of vehicles). I think it’s best to be realistic on what is feasible and how to make a good urban environment given certain feasibility constraints. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The McDonalds on South is in the process of an exterior and interior renovation. This crew is making quick work of the project and the drive thru is still open. 

017DA22A-F9D8-4934-8AF5-81F98A6D3376.thumb.jpeg.778b256e0daa4356924d7069427970c8.jpeg

And can someone explain why / how the new Arrival HQ building on S Tryon does not have street trees between the sidewalk and the road?
719C2A6E-C52B-4A45-BC87-B9063D935863.thumb.jpeg.544574844c688da30987b1ffa9a16cfe.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jjwilli said:

And can someone explain why / how the new Arrival HQ building on S Tryon does not have street trees between the sidewalk and the road?

I'm assuming that because of the curvature of the road there, there's an extremely long site line triangle that you can't have trees within for visibility and safety purposes, so vehicles turning from Doggett onto Tryon can see cars coming at them heading north on Tryon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, rancenc said:

My wife and I were in SF waiting for a table at a restaurant and stumbled into Parachutes grand opening of that store in 2019.  They had a dog photo shoot, Jenni's ice cream and buckets of craft beer.  Waiting for that to happen again at this location.. Fits the area well lol

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1