Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John E

Grand Rapids Chalk Flood 2009

14 posts in this topic

It's hard to describe how much fun and how cool this event was to people who weren't there.

Here are my photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoman311/se...57616932150525/

If this is ever done again, DO NOT MISS it. I had such a fantastic time, and it made me so happy to live in Grand Rapids. I will guess that this will be one of the highlights of my year.

...and body outlines.

I put one down of a large brass instrument.

my Favorite was the Zombie Bear shaving on the Ottawa side of the GRAM.

So has the rain washed all the chalk away yet? I was hoping the art would stick around for the week for visitors to see...but oh well.

Went past RPC on Sunday mid-afternoon, and the drizzle had deepened the contrast between the surface and the colors. Looked very nice.

Out behind GRAM was a uniformed employee with a hose rinsing off the plaza by the warming room, near where the port-a-pots are placed for special events. IMHO, not a sustainable, LEED, earth-friendly practice, especially considering the forecast. By now most of it will have run off.

There is chalking all over the place. Looked like some members of Fountain Street Church dropped by (with a salute to the Sunday service theme), and GRCC's open space adjacent to the parking deck. There was chalk near the Black Rose. And the "add a mural here" side of the cop shop.

Went past RPC on Sunday mid-afternoon, and the drizzle had deepened the contrast between the surface and the colors. Looked very nice.

Out behind GRAM was a uniformed employee with a hose rinsing off the plaza by the warming room, near where the port-a-pots are placed for special events. IMHO, not a sustainable, LEED, earth-friendly practice, especially considering the forecast. By now most of it will have run off.

There is chalking all over the place. Looked like some members of Fountain Street Church dropped by (with a salute to the Sunday service theme), and GRCC's open space adjacent to the parking deck. There was chalk near the Black Rose. And the "add a mural here" side of the cop shop.

I just randomly remembered one of my favorite things from this event and I wanted to share.

Amy and I saw two teenage guys playing "battleship" across Ottawa. They had each drawn their boards on sidewalks on opposite sides of the street and then they would call out their shots and record hits and misses and such. We thought it was pretty funny.