THE WORLD - DUBAI

architect2004

Project: The World

Conceived by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the development is called 'The World' and will consist of a series of 200 islands, positioned strategically to form the shape of the world map.

'This development will be positioned 5 kilometres off the coast of Dubai. It will be 5.5 kilometres in length and width, and will cover 60 million square feet, including 10 million square feet of beach', said Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, Executive Chairman, Nakheel.

Further commenting on the project Sulayem said, 'The World' is set to be the most exclusive and private water retreat available in Dubai. It will provide an intriguing and one of a kind haven for investors looking for exclusive and world-class real estate opportunity.

The 200 islands will vary in size and will be themed to show some similarities to the specific country they are representing.

To ensure the island ambience is maximised restrictions have been placed on the height of developments. A series of waterways, canals and lakes have also been integrated into the overall design. Considered a first of its kind, this development is expected to cater specifically to the elite residential and tourist market.

Access to the island will be entirely by marine transport only - there will be no road access. To protect the development, two types of breakwater will be built to surround it; these include an above water revetment and a submerged reef.

The first stages in construction of the islands, known as reclamation, are expected to commence in late 2003. Total completion of the project is forecast for 2008.

Dubai over the last few years has become the living embodiment of innovation, ambition and forward thinking. Much of this is down to Sheikh Mohammed's influence and unshakable desire to create a contemporary role for his country as a major world centre for business, tourism and as a model of multi-cultural living.

'The World' project joins a growing list of landmark projects in Dubai. These projects include the six star Burj Al Arab hotel, the iconic Emirates Towers and of course the extraordinary Palm project. The Palm project consists of the world largest two palm-tree shaped islands, which are also currently under construction by the Nakheel Corporation.

According to studies, tourism to Dubai is growing exponentially, with the current number of visitors standing at 5 million due to reach 10 million by 2007, and an incredible 40 million by 2015.

thnkx :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now this mind blowing project with teh excess of 300 islands shaped like the world deserves pics!!

Pics would do it all the justice it needs!!

Enjoy

Cheers

offshore.jpg

Slowly taking shape!!

UAE to surface first followed by the north american continent!!

f7fbc7e4.jpg

Just visit Nakheels website!! www.nakheel.ae and youll be amazed!!!!

Ill be back with more later

!! Feeling sleepy

Cheers

:P

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've got some updates on the world.

Britain (the island) has been sold to an undisclosed buyer for 32 Million.

A private consortium has purchased the whole of Australasia, for example, with a view to turning it into a holiday resort. They have plans to alter its shape entirely, join it all up with bridges, and build a 12-storey hotel on the south island of New Zealand.

Not sure where the best place to ask this question so I'll just do it here. Does anyone know if there are many older more traditional buildings in Dubai? Seeing so many big developments here I'm just wondering if there is much older stuff being kept. I know Shanghai and China have come under fire a bit for plowing down anything old to put up new developments everywhere in Shanghai. Just curious if the same was true in Dubai. Also does anyone know if Dubai has any impressive mosques?

Not sure where the best place to ask this question so I'll just do it here. Does anyone know if there are many older more traditional buildings in Dubai? Seeing so many big developments here I'm just wondering if there is much older stuff being kept. I know Shanghai and China have come under fire a bit for plowing down anything old to put up new developments everywhere in Shanghai. Just curious if the same was true in Dubai. Also does anyone know if Dubai has any impressive mosques?

Dubia really doesn't have a whole lot of traditional muslim buildings with the older stuff. Back in the 50's Dubai was nothing more than a port town of around 50,000 people. The Big Boom really didn't come unitll the mid to late 1990's when all the buildings began flocking to Dubai.

Archived