Decent Place to Live?

TimeforChange73

I am a 36-year-old mom of 2 and I need to move my family. I know Nashville is a big city and so maybe it has what we need??? I didn't go to college and I'm trying to raise my kids alone without much money. Everyone talks on here a lot about the really super-rich neighbors and suburbs....is there anywhere that's just decent enough????? I mean like not the most awesome part of town ever but okay enough that I don't have to worry about my children and where they can get a good education??? Sometimes I feel like the whole world is just rich mansions and then like housing projects!!! Isn't there someplace I can work hard and take care of my kids??

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crieve Hall area is nice. I grew up on the edge of the neighborhood so where my parents still live the houses are more reasonably priced. The area begins to blend with Brentwood so some of the prices are high (to me at least). I played youth baseball at Crieve Hall and the actual neighborhood seems pretty close knit. The elementary school is one of the focal points for the neighborhood where there are plenty of sidewalks for accessibility and a playground, ball fields, etc.

As for education, well Nashville and Tennessee are not even close to the top in the country (plus our country's education system as a whole IMO lacks). However, the schools are decent, and if you push your kids in the right direction (or try to cause I know how stubborn we can be :lol:) they will be ok. I'm sure other schools around the country are similar. For example my wife attended the Crieve Hall area schools and she is now in vet school! So there is hope! ;) Also, I went to a private school and didn't feel like my education was any better. Of course that was partially my fault. The only thing a private school might offer is a better atmosphere. However, in my opinion public school exposes you to the realities of life which IMO can be better than a protective ring. Crazy stuff happens in both areas so it also depends upon the home environment. Anywho, off my soapbox, hope this helps! Private message me if you have any questions. This thread will probably get moved to the Nashville Coffee House. No biggie.

i'm a South Nashville resident(lifelong), and can attest that it is "acceptable" as well as one of the most affordable area's of town. Some parts are less desireable than others, but it's usually pretty easy to identify upon first glance. I live and Hickory Hollow, and wouldn't recommend it. However, Crieve Hall is nice, Nippers Corner, Smyrna, LaVergne are mostly nice. The later two are getting pretty far out of town, so if commuting time is an issue, you might consider that.

When it comes to schools, all of the talk is about Williamson Co. but that is getting into the more higher-end neighborhoods. I also went to Overton High, it was decent i suppose for a public school, but i only got out what i put in(very little).

I cannot speak for north-east Nashville (Hendersonville,Gallatin,Rivergate,Hermitage), but i know that there seem to be some pretty decent area's around there.

Do you have any other parameters? Job Market? Urban/suburban environment? Near the airport? Near downtown? Near a transit stop? are any of those things important?

Any city is what YOU make it and education starts at home. You can send your kids to the best private schools or an average public school, but if you make sure your kids are doing what they are suppose to do when they get home, then they will be ok.

I went to private schools and know many people from my school that are bums now. I also know doctors, lawyers, and engineers that all went to public schools.

As far as best area in Nashville to live in, I'm really not sure. I moved here from New York City so all of Nashville seems pretty quiet to me. I've lived in Green Hills the entire time and find it very friendly and quaint.

Noooooooo, don't go to the dark side! Just kidding!! Murfreesboro is an awesome area!! If the suburbs are not a problem, then you may want to check out Mt. Juliet and Lebanon in Wilson County east of Nashville or Spring Hill south/southwest. There are plenty of other Nashville neighborhoods as well. I just don't have any personal experience with them. Try the Donelson area too in eastern Nashville. Nolensville area might have what you're looking for as well. Nolensville is south of Nashville in Williamson County I believe.

I live in Smyrna, off of Sam Ridley near I-24. I can be in downtown Nashville in 15-20 minutes. You can still buy a home or condo here for under $140k and there are some really new apartments for around $800/month. Good schools. Matter of fact, in the area where I live, it's a 5-minute walk to one of the best elementary schools in the state, a 5 minute drive to a great middle school, and a 5 minute walk to Lavergne High School. A top-notch new hospital is only a 5 minute drive away...and a new theater and Super Target are only 5 minutes away.

I didn't know if I'd like it at first, but now I love the convenience.

• 1 month later...

It all depends on where you are coming from. I live in Nashville and absolutely HATE it but I am from up north. Not to say just because you are from up north that you would hate Nashville but those of us that are liberal hate it. Coming from a big city when I first moved here West end near Vandy was the only thing that I could relate to....but I couldn't afford to live in that area. The next best thing to me was historic east nashville but it lacks an even tone. You can drive on one street with nice houses turn the corner and be in the projects. There is one section right behind Main st. that has a little bit more of an even tone. They say that job growth is big in Nashville and that is true if......you are corporate (top level positions), have a specialized degree (nursing), or if you don't mind working at mcdonalds. I have a degree and skill and it has been terribly hard to get a job that pays well enough for you to pay rent and eat at the same time. I thought that it was just me until a few of my friends mentioned that they had been looking for jobs. One friend said that she had submitted 50 resumes/job apps in one month and did not get a call back! In Nashville it is all about who you know...the job I have now was through a hook-up as was my last job. Race still has its place in Nashville so...that is also a variable in the job search. Diversity exsist on Nolensville road, Murfressboro road, Charlotte pike, a few spots on Gallatin road, and international day at Centennial park. If your car breaks down you are screwed becuase the bus system is horrible.....the only one that I have seen that was worst was in a small town in Oklahoma. They DO NOT have a train system in place. What they have comes from far out and makes a drop off in downtown Nashville.....HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT but if you live in Nashville already then it's of no use to you. As far as education...for adults it's plentiful and cheap (except for Vandy but I love the school)....for children...if you can afford it put them in private school. I am all for public school it's just that Nashville's public school system isn't all that great. I have never seen so many children while reading read the word "the" as "thee" (bobby went to thee store). I am on my way out of Nashville and the only way that I would come back is if someone that I know dies or gets married. As far as the people they are terribly intrusive. They do lack the southern hospitality that I have experienced in other southern states. One of my professors said it best that in the north the people there if they don't like you, you know it either by words or actions but the people in Nashville if they don't like you they smile in your face, invite you to their church, pretend that they are your friend and all the while stabbing you in the back. But, they will never let you know they don't like you because they think that they're being "polite". The nicest, most genuine people that I have met in Nashville are normally not from Nashville. But if you like country music, sorry museums, visiting plantations, you are rich enough to NEVER need to rely on someone else for help, don't mind working for Mcdonalds even though you have degree, sitting in traffic forever or when traffic is moving....riding behind someone that rides with there blinker on for miles then this is the place for you. If you love diversity, equality, being able to be who you are and not have to apologize for it, a decent job market even in bad times, good quality public education, reasonable housing in a decent area that is not unreasonably far away from the city, and friendly people then you want to keep looking at other places because Nashville is not it. This is not just my take on it. I have a new friend that just moved here and it was amazing that we both noticed the same things about this place and by the way she and I are not the same race.

Wow, good riddance! Why did you come to Nashville in the first place?? I understand Nashville is not Utopia but jeez!!

PS Thanks for resurrecting this old thread (sarcasm).

I know, I know, do not feed the trolls.

Wow, Kandi. I feel really bad for you, because I believe you are WAY in the minority.

I am not from here and moved here 15 years ago. Nashville instantly felt like home and I have LOVED it ever since. For the most part, Nashville is a great city. I have traveled all over the U.S. and have yet to find a place where the people are as nice.

Is Nashville perfect? Of course not. I too wish we had a public transport system. I too wish we had better public schools. But if you came here looking for a utopia, I'm imagining you are going to have a tough time every place you go.

I know SO many people who have moved here from elsewhere (and I'm talking north, south, east, west, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Australia, China, etc) and every one of them love Nashville.

I'm sorry we turned out to be your idea of Hell. Best of luck finding your Heaven.

i have found that people who have a certain view of a place and cannot look past it, will always hold that view of a place. it's unfortunate that you find that you have to bad mouth the city of nashville. instead of trying to make it a better place in your eyes, you choose to attack with ignorance and vitriol. good luck finding a new place to live. with that kind of attitude, you'll need it.

Well, i guess this is a good place to share my good news. I am finally getting out of Hickory Hollow. The girlfriend and I just signed a lease on a new apartment in midtown. Hayes st. between West End and Elliston. I'm very excited about the location! We face the back of Gold Rush across from Exit/In. It's a closer commute for my girl, and we will be able to ride the bus to/from hockey games. I can catch the 96x to MTSU. It's in an area we spend most of our time anyway, so it will save us alot of driving.

I'm not extremely active on UP, but some of you might remember that i witnessed a murder at my restaurant of employment in H.H. last year. Lease finally came up, and we are moving on up(to the west side). It's been sad watching my childhood home deteriorate over time, but it's time i let it go. The only trick is i am spending the summer in San Francisco on an internship (leaving sunday), so my girlfriend is going to have to get us moved. I feel pretty bad about it, but she insists that it is the right thing for me to do.

Maybe when i return in the fall i can finally make one of the meet-UP's since i will be closer to town.

Wow Kandi.....this is a pretty shocking and bizarre viewpoint. You are definitely way off-base, in my opinion. Sounds like you have a lot of "issues" going on here. Based on what you stated in your rant, I honestly don't think you will be happy anywhere you go. Any city is what you make of it. Maybe you should move to a deserted island and start your own utopian community that will satisfy your many requirements.

It all depends on where you are coming from. I live in Nashville and absolutely HATE it but I am from up north. Not to say just because you are from up north that you would hate Nashville but those of us that are liberal hate it. Coming from a big city when I first moved here West end near Vandy was the only thing that I could relate to....but I couldn't afford to live in that area. The next best thing to me was historic east nashville but it lacks an even tone. You can drive on one street with nice houses turn the corner and be in the projects. There is one section right behind Main st. that has a little bit more of an even tone. They say that job growth is big in Nashville and that is true if......you are corporate (top level positions), have a specialized degree (nursing), or if you don't mind working at mcdonalds. I have a degree and skill and it has been terribly hard to get a job that pays well enough for you to pay rent and eat at the same time. I thought that it was just me until a few of my friends mentioned that they had been looking for jobs. One friend said that she had submitted 50 resumes/job apps in one month and did not get a call back! In Nashville it is all about who you know...the job I have now was through a hook-up as was my last job. Race still has its place in Nashville so...that is also a variable in the job search. Diversity exsist on Nolensville road, Murfressboro road, Charlotte pike, a few spots on Gallatin road, and international day at Centennial park. If your car breaks down you are screwed becuase the bus system is horrible.....the only one that I have seen that was worst was in a small town in Oklahoma. They DO NOT have a train system in place. What they have comes from far out and makes a drop off in downtown Nashville.....HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT but if you live in Nashville already then it's of no use to you. As far as education...for adults it's plentiful and cheap (except for Vandy but I love the school)....for children...if you can afford it put them in private school. I am all for public school it's just that Nashville's public school system isn't all that great. I have never seen so many children while reading read the word "the" as "thee" (bobby went to thee store). I am on my way out of Nashville and the only way that I would come back is if someone that I know dies or gets married. As far as the people they are terribly intrusive. They do lack the southern hospitality that I have experienced in other southern states. One of my professors said it best that in the north the people there if they don't like you, you know it either by words or actions but the people in Nashville if they don't like you they smile in your face, invite you to their church, pretend that they are your friend and all the while stabbing you in the back. But, they will never let you know they don't like you because they think that they're being "polite". The nicest, most genuine people that I have met in Nashville are normally not from Nashville. But if you like country music, sorry museums, visiting plantations, you are rich enough to NEVER need to rely on someone else for help, don't mind working for Mcdonalds even though you have degree, sitting in traffic forever or when traffic is moving....riding behind someone that rides with there blinker on for miles then this is the place for you. If you love diversity, equality, being able to be who you are and not have to apologize for it, a decent job market even in bad times, good quality public education, reasonable housing in a decent area that is not unreasonably far away from the city, and friendly people then you want to keep looking at other places because Nashville is not it. This is not just my take on it. I have a new friend that just moved here and it was amazing that we both noticed the same things about this place and by the way she and I are not the same race.

Well, i guess this is a good place to share my good news. I am finally getting out of Hickory Hollow. The girlfriend and I just signed a lease on a new apartment in midtown. Hayes st. between West End and Elliston. I'm very excited about the location! We face the back of Gold Rush across from Exit/In. It's a closer commute for my girl, and we will be able to ride the bus to/from hockey games. I can catch the 96x to MTSU. It's in an area we spend most of our time anyway, so it will save us alot of driving.

I'm not extremely active on UP, but some of you might remember that i witnessed a murder at my restaurant of employment in H.H. last year. Lease finally came up, and we are moving on up(to the west side). It's been sad watching my childhood home deteriorate over time, but it's time i let it go. The only trick is i am spending the summer in San Francisco on an internship (leaving sunday), so my girlfriend is going to have to get us moved. I feel pretty bad about it, but she insists that it is the right thing for me to do.

Maybe when i return in the fall i can finally make one of the meet-UP's since i will be closer to town.

By the way, Kandi...you mention that you are a liberal, and hint at the fact that that is one of the main reasons you are unhappy in Nashville. Though Tennessee has overall become a red state, Nashville and Davidson County is pretty evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans. Matter of fact, our governor is Democrat and our mayor is Democrat...and if I remember correctly, Davidson County is one of the only counties in the mid-state that typically votes Blue.

I'm pretty conservative, but went through a business leadership class one year and was the minority...and got derided for being conservative quite often.

If you want to make some liberal friends, believe me, Nashville is teeming with them.

People think of Tennessee as a "Red State," but, in reality, we have a Democratic governor, 3 of our last 6 governors were Democrats, 5 (of 9) House Reps are Democrats, the State House is 51/49 and our State Senate is close also, and we've voted for the Democrat in '96, '92, '76, and more. In reality we're a fairly moderate state, and have generally been a 'bellweather' for the country. We're the moderates, others are the extremists.

When looking at Nashville, the Congressional seat - since inception in 1827 - has been held by a Democrat all but 12 years, and the mayor has always been a Democrat.

People think of Tennessee as a "Red State," but, in reality, we have a Democratic governor, 3 of our last 6 governors were Democrats, 5 (of 9) House Reps are Democrats, the State House is 51/49 and our State Senate is close also, and we've voted for the Democrat in '96, '92, '76, and more. In reality we're a fairly moderate state, and have generally been a 'bellweather' for the country. We're the moderates, others are the extremists.

When looking at Nashville, the Congressional seat - since inception in 1827 - has been held by a Democrat all but 12 years, and the mayor has always been a Democrat.

Archived